Honda Element Owners Club banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
any pictures?

so i need an 03 pilot wheel to replace my 03 element wheel?

will the horn, and cruise work normally after the swap?

can you hook up the audio controls?

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
any pictures?

so i need an 03 pilot wheel to replace my 03 element wheel?

will the horn, and cruise work normally after the swap?

can you hook up the audio controls?

thanks guys
Cruise will work fine, but to gain audio controls you will need to replace the clockspring and the radio and wire between the two for SWC to work on and 03. or you could get the RF-ASWC from metra and have SWC that way, but it wont work on your factory radio on an 03, only an aftermarket.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=18944

·
Registered
563 Posts
Don't know if anyone's interested, but I still have a search saved on ebay since I was shopping for a Pilot wheel and the other day it came up with one of the woodgrain wheels for $100+shipping. It is a great deal if you are looking for that sort of thing. I won't post the link, but just search for "Honda Pilot Woodgrain Steering Wheel." It will only fit '07 & up Elements. I personally don't think the Element would look good with a wooden steering wheel, but I know people have expressed interest in the past.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda Pilot Steering Wheel

Does anyone know why some peoples write-ups have pics, and others have the boxed in question mark? You guys do excellent work, and it is discouraging when one is not able to view the work.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
Does anyone know why some peoples write-ups have pics, and others have the boxed in question mark? You guys do excellent work, and it is discouraging when one is not able to view the work.

The boxes with the question marks were images that were being hosted on outside servers. The owner of the images either took them down or moved them to another server.

·
Registered
449 Posts
so i have an 05 EX AT MBP, what year steering wheel from the pilot do i use? and can i get the audio controls?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
so i have an 05 EX AT MBP, what year steering wheel from the pilot do i use? and can i get the audio controls?
OK... Someone correct this if this is wrong but I think the following swap guide is correct.

Element steering wheel swaps with leather Pilot wheel

04-06 Element same as 03-04 Pilot
07-11 Element same as 05-08 Pilot

(note: I going to try to put a leather 04 Pilot wheel on my 07 element using everything from my 07 wheel except the trim pieces which I have on order from an 04 Pilot wheel. I'm hoping the airbags are the same size to fit the older trim.)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
OK... Someone correct this if this is wrong but I think the following swap guide is correct.

Element steering wheel swaps with leather Pilot wheel

04-06 Element same as 03-04 Pilot
07-11 Element same as 05-08 Pilot

(note: I going to try to put a leather 04 Pilot wheel on my 07 element using everything from my 07 wheel except the trim pieces which I have on order from an 04 Pilot wheel. I'm hoping the airbags are the same size to fit the older trim.)
Just finished putting a leather 04 Pilot wheel on my 07 Element. I purchased the 04 trim pieces that fit in the steering wheel for the 04 Pilot because they are wheel specific. Everything else swapped over perfectly. In conclusion I think any leather Pilot wheel 03-08 will fit any Honda Element as long as you have the correct two plastic trim pieces for the wheel. AND the $7 back cover from an 04-06 Element (I forgot that part).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the install guide, bought a woodgrain w/leather brand new on ebay for $79. It came with instructions, but i wouldn't have bought it without knowing whether I could easily replace it. The rubber on the original was all loose and spongy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the install guide, bought a woodgrain w/leather brand new on ebay for $79. It came with instructions, but i wouldn't have bought it without knowing whether I could easily replace it. The rubber on the original was all loose and spongy.
Here's my pic: I think the wood trim looks OK...

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, early on; in fact, the OP, shows no pictures, but those boxes with ? marks inside. I too, was wondering what they meant. Perhaps the Administrator could post this information of the Home or some Upfront thread.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, early on; in fact, the OP, shows no pictures, but those boxes with ? marks inside. I too, was wondering what they meant. Perhaps the Administrator could post this information of the Home or some Upfront thread.
The original posts are from 2003. The empty boxes instead of pictures mean that the original pictures were hosted on a different site and are no longer online.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The original posts are from 2003. The empty boxes instead of pictures mean that the original pictures were hosted on a different site and are no longer online.
Yes. I think there was a server crash several years ago. Maybe this will help:

anyone looking for "detailed" instructions and pictures can just go to the links at h and a for the steering wheels themselves for both the pilot and the element. thats what i did when i did mine. they say 03-04 and 06-08 on their site for the pilot, but the instructions are the exact same for both....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
OK, I've made contact with a guy here in Maryland who has access to the take-off Pilot wheels. He sold me one for a very reasonable price. His Email addy is [email protected] - he goes by "RT". I'm not trying to drum up business for this guy, I'm just trying to let you guys know of source to get these without having to spend 80+. I'm not connected to this guy in any way other than winning an Ebay auction for the wheel.

Have any of you guys had to use a steering wheel puller or torque wrench for doing this? I can get these loaner tools for free at the local parts store.
So I contacted "RT". Being this post was from 2003, and brand new '05-'08 pilots dont exist, it was a stretch. Here's his NO response;

"I'm still around and still work with Honda but im not getting those wheels anymore. I actually had 1 my kids played with and tossed it about a year ago"

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just a FYI for anyone. I purchased what was listed as a 2005 Pilot leather steering wheel on flea bay for what I thought was a good deal. Turns out what was delivered was a 2005 Pilot EX steering wheel which is the EXACT same steering wheel (vinyl not leather) that I currently own. Seller made it right and I have an extra free steering wheel. Could of bought Gibroni's wheel for roughly the same price and would have had leather. :roll:

Both 2005-8 Honda Pilots with EX and LX trim packages have vinyl covered steering wheels (P/N 78501-S9V-A51ZA). EXLs had the leather covered steering wheels (P/N 78501-S9V-A61ZA).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ding! Mark another successful leather pilot swap. This thread has just about everything needed. emass's tools breakdown at the beginning was spot on. Picked up a set of larger torx bits to get the T30 and T40 for about $6 on ebay. Got the 05 Pilot wheel for my 07 E from another member on here for $50. Good deal all around. The tip about leaving the bolt in a few threads was great and is still worth repeating, just rocked the wheel a few different angles and BAM, wheel is loose and spool is still spooled!

Only thing that gave me trouble was the darn horn connector clip. I had no idea how to disconnect it. I followed the Handa instructions for the copper stitched SC wheel, but they just said to disconnect it. What I did after 5min of bashful tugging, was pried the connector metal piece that is riveted to the horn boss out just enough so I could finger the back side and press the clip. Here is a photo of the back side (Not how you see it connected, I spun it around to show). I know, it says "PUSH" too bad you cant see it.

20120318_120548.jpg
Look Ma, No hands! Here is the spool after wheel is pulled off.
20120318_121142.jpg

This is where my radio code was. Some people had trouble finding there's. Radio code is the top string, don't know what the bottom is.

20120318_125603.jpg

Overall, fricken easy. Feels awesome. Mine lined up straight. The steering wheel hub with the teeth was rusty, shot it up with some PB blaster lube.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I'm not clear on three points:

1) is the original Element airbag fitting the Pilot wheel?

2) sounds like my 2011 Element could accept a 2006 Pilot wheel?

3) the person who went with an SC wheel, which looks great - was that purchased as a takeoff? I see only the list of parts but no SC wheel assembled...

Any tips appreciated.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
ok so i ordered the 2004 leather pilot wheel and i'm installing it on my 2008 LX. i want to change my clock spool also for radio controls. i'm having trouble figuring out what pieces to order for this wheel now. i know i need to get the 2 plastic side pieces that go outside the controls, and the controls themselves. assuming i can use the airbag assembly from my 2008, but do i have to get the pilot clock spool or can i just get a 2008 element EX clock spool?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an 03 Element. How can I determine which pilot steering wheel will work for me on Ebay? I see osme with radio controls which I assume would just be dead buttons.

I guess I need to know what year Pilot steering wheels will work on my 03 Element?

121 - 140 of 158 Posts