Honda Element Owners Club banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
I have an 03 Element. How can I determine which pilot steering wheel will work for me on Ebay? I see osme with radio controls which I assume would just be dead buttons.

I guess I need to know what year Pilot steering wheels will work on my 03 Element?
It was the older 2003 or 2004 Pilot steering wheel. They're a direct swap for the Element steering wheel. The newer 2005 and 2006 Pilot wheel IS NOT a direct swap, since you need different parts to make it work with the Element.

P.S. If you do this yourself, remember you need to have your radio code handy, and you're going to have to reset your auto driver's window by turning the engine on, then pushing the button down, and pull it up, and keep the button up for two seconds. This only resets the window. Other than that, the only other tip I can give is to rock the steering wheel persistently. It doesn't come off easily, but it does come off pretty quickly. Remember to watch the wires!

I love the new leather steering wheel!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pilot leather steering wheel swap...

I've read through the long thread on this swap, as well as other threads, but (unless I've missed something!) there is no DEFINITIVE answer to my question. And the original thread is closed now, so I'm posting here.

I just purchased a 2007 EX 4WD and I really would prefer to have a genuine leather steering wheel. What I've been unable to discern is exactly which model years of the Pilot wheel will easily swap to my 2007 EX. I've even looked up Pilot wheels on Majestic Honda and see that for some years there are NEW genuine Pilot wheels available--although at a premium cost. I might even be willing to treat myself to a new one if there aren't any easier/cheaper alternatives. But I need to know for sure which models are swap-able.

Most of the original pictures in the how-to thread are also gone. I can live with the stock wheel, but I'd prefer to do the swap!

Thanks in advance for leads, pointers, advice. :)

STP

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
pilot wheel guide

I've read through the long thread on this swap, as well as other threads, but (unless I've missed something!) there is no DEFINITIVE answer to my question. And the original thread is closed now, so I'm posting here.

I just purchased a 2007 EX 4WD and I really would prefer to have a genuine leather steering wheel. What I've been unable to discern is exactly which model years of the Pilot wheel will easily swap to my 2007 EX. I've even looked up Pilot wheels on Majestic Honda and see that for some years there are NEW genuine Pilot wheels available--although at a premium cost. I might even be willing to treat myself to a new one if there aren't any easier/cheaper alternatives. But I need to know for sure which models are swap-able.

Most of the original pictures in the how-to thread are also gone. I can live with the stock wheel, but I'd prefer to do the swap!

STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Art View Post
OK... Someone correct this if this is wrong but I think the following swap guide is correct.

Element steering wheel swaps with leather Pilot wheel

04-06 Element same as 03-04 Pilot
07-11 Element same as 05-08 Pilot

(note: I going to try to put a leather 04 Pilot wheel on my 07 element using everything from my 07 wheel except the trim pieces which I have on order from an 04 Pilot wheel. I'm hoping the airbags are the same size to fit the older trim.)

Just finished putting a leather 04 Pilot wheel on my 07 Element. I purchased the 04 trim pieces that fit in the steering wheel for the 04 Pilot because they are wheel specific. Everything else swapped over perfectly. In conclusion I think any leather Pilot wheel 03-08 will fit any Honda Element as long as you have the correct two plastic trim pieces for the wheel. AND the $7 back cover from an 04-06 Element (I forgot that part).

·
Registered
861 Posts

STP
I have a 2007.

2008 Pilot wheel fits perfectly (accommodates audio controls, cruise controls, etc.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
The last pilot steering wheel swap question.

I got an 04 pilot wheel complete minus the air bag. Could I just put that on my 08 Element EX without changing anything out? Would the radio and and cruise buttons work the same?

I read the threads all the way through just now and realized I didn't have to get the 04 pilot wheel. I think I paid too much for it.

I'm only asking cuz I'm debating if I should get the 06-08 pilot wheel before I even try and install the 04 one I got.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting, I'm still looking for a Pilot steering wheel for my badly delaminating 2005 LX wheel.

My notes are that the 2004-06 Element is the same as 2003-04 Pilot.
And that the 2007-11 Element same as 2005-08 Pilot.

I think with the correct trim pieces, the years can interchange, but that gets confusing to me and I've screwed up buying used parts that are not quite right

·
Registered
73 Posts
Left to wonder if I am the only Element owner whose oem vinyl steering wheel got loose, twisty, squirmy. I know it's happened to other Honda's but don't see much re Elements.

fwiw, I'm finding that the 03-04 Pilot's are harder to come by ~14 years later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, its normal for element steering wheels to twist like a motorcycle grip. Every Element I've test drove was like that including mine. I sent you email about the 04 pilot ones i got.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just picked up my second "E" (2011) and want to put a leather wheel on like I did to my first.

All the leather 05-08 Pilot wheels I've seen on ebay are rather nasty. Ripped or or scuffed or filthy. So I looked at a new one, but the parts listing is a little unclear. They don't say "leather," just "steering wheel body A." Also, actually less new ($90) than some of the used ones. So, am I looking at the right thing? Did Honda make a plastic wheel for the Pilot? Three colors are listed, I get what "dark grey" and "warn grey" are, but what's "dark saddle?"

141 - 158 of 158 Posts