Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten my self another project vehicle, and subsequently more projects/duties for the Element.

First up pick up a 16v DOHC 1.8L VW engine.

Hmmm? How do you load and engine into the back of an element w/o crushing the spare tire cover and gouging the isht out of the floor????

Build a load slider.

I don't have detailed pictures/measurements at this time. But the mechanically inclined should be able to understand what's going on here...

I've used 3/8" MDF to spread the load a little, 2"x4"s boxed together to form the structure and "Rails", and 3/4" MDF w/ 2"x4"s to create the "Trolley". Underneath I've cut out the 3/8" MDF to allow 2"x4"x8" blocks to drop into the opening where the seats would connect on the bottom. This keeps everything in place while moving the load. I used some large lag bolts as tie-down points, but should have located them lower because the rear ones interfere w/ moving the trolley.

I never intended to drop this motor off at home, but that's how it's going to work out now. So I'll be attaching some Lag-Eyes to the trolley so the motor will be secured while the trolley is moved out onto the rail extension I'm going to build next...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Nice!

Come to think of it, what's the load limit on the E's tailgate? I know it's at least enough to hold my 250 lbs while pulling out the back sunroof...

Another beautiful execution of a valuable E-Mod.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is just cool! Next is some ball bearing sliders!
lol
I wish I had the time/$ to do that. But I was soo impressed with the ease of moving the trolley that I don't think it would be necessary. I had no trouble pulling the engine back to a position beyond the hatch-back by myself. After that a 1-Ton chain-fall did the lifting.

Sorry I haven't gotten any pics up for this, or my home-brew hitch. I've been busy w/ engine stuff...and will be getting another 'subject' soon. The last one has rusty cylinder walls. If the weather is decent I'll get pics of all the important parts along w/ some 'Iron action' moving the new one.

Thanks for the compliments!
I wasn't sure if anyone gave a hoot about this project.
:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright. I don't feel like doing any engine werk today....

So I made some measurements and snapped a few pics.

First is the bottom, where the "cleats" protrude and fit into the lower seat attachment points.

The box structure that forms the inner rails.

Underside of the 'trolley' showing the outer rails.

The top of the 'trolley' w/ eye-bolts for securing the load.

The extension. It's about 18" longer than the 'hatchback'...

Here's how I attached the extension.

Notice there are 2 screws attaching the "extension joint' to inner-rails, a 1/4" gap, and 1 screw holding the rail extension. This allows the rails to flex as the load is moved back and the suspension settles. I moved the engines back onto the tailgate before screwing the rear legs in place to minimize movement here.

I would suggest using a couple 2x4's cut to about 24" for legs. It's better to have a little sticking up. You wont be happy w/ the results if this comes crashing down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are not sure of your mechanical abilities or if this contraption will safely hold the load you intend to move...RENT A TRAILER!

I drove 40mi through rush-hour traffic, went home for the night, and to werk the next day w/ a 10" long 4"x4" standing on end. When a co-werker asked to see the engine I'd purchased it was still standing up.

I drove w/ extreme caution. I don't want to be inside my Element w/ a 350lb block of steel bouncing around inside.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This '87 VW Scirocco.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had an '82 Scirocco. Good times baby...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts