1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
34 Posts
hmmm...not sure, but i have to ask..."why?" For recharge purposes? Most if not all audio devices and laptops have audio out ports (or at the very least headphone outs), so why not just use the Aux jack?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea just curious as the your motivation? For the cost of parts you MAY be better off just upgrading the head unit. The stock one isn't bad, but lacks in other areas anyway. With a new unit you could address those short comings AND get yourself a USB port.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The purpose is to plug a usb flash drive full of music in, so not to charge, but as an input.

·
Registered
557 Posts
In order for that to work, with just the plain USB flash playing out songs, the stock radio would have to have some kind of hard/software built in ready to read such things, and if it had it, they would attach a USB port to it... which they didn't so I don't know how that would work. They have FM transmitter ones, but FM transmitters have always been the most ghetto and horrible-est sounding way to do it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Personally, I do not like the transmitter systems. It doesn't help that there is a big sheet of metal called your roof between where the transmitter is up front and your little antenna on the other side of said roof all the way at the back.

They will never have CD quality. They are highly susceptible to interference from radio traffic in the atmosphere. One minute you're listening to your tunes, next, you're listening to static or another station.

It's just not for me. I prefer to have something wired directly to my HU.

People still buy those things though, so people do like them. I just have a strong preference to listening to my music at the quality I had saved them as static free with no static or radio interference. ;-)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Get an '09 with Navi and you are already set up! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wait... You, be quiet... I remember, I've thought about this. It's rattling around like a marble in a glass jar. USB, stereo, no CD's... Ya, oh, I got a BlackBerry, plug it in and listen through the auxxxxxxxxxxx. There are voices, oh, advertisements, talking through the computer. Hang on I have to buy something...

This is the link, it took me 35 weeks to find this, it doesn't come cheap, very expensive in fact. I'll give you a deal though. See that human over there, they were going to give me their very rare ubiquitous art piece for this link. I think I'll just leave it here for free, yes free, no strings or suspicious net-shaped cables attached:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43231

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
125 bucks

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/grom-usb2-hon1.html

I have bought several things from this guy for customers that other manufacturers just didnt make at the time. There is no way other than an intercate device like this that reads and comprehends the vehicle's com networks to pipe audio into the radio AND be able to sift through folders/files, etc. The aux jack is easy to tie into, but you cant control anything external without one of these type pieces.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, but I'm looking for a cheap ghetto mod. :) For $125, I can buy a brand new deck with USB-in which is likely what I'll end up doing anyway.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I hear you. There is just no way for the deck and the usb device to "communicate" without one of these. Better off just getting a deck. But then you will need the wiring harness and dash kit too so keep that in mind as far as your total cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts