Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY assisted Installation Guide
Like several others in this thread I went and ordered a Rear Spoiler that is painted to match my E's color from SpoilerDepot .
Great price of $234 shipped considering the "grey" color OEM from even HandA still runs $240 before shipping (not knocking HandA, just comparing prices).
I have several good and bad things to say about the product from spoilerdepot before I get into this DIY Installation Guide.

PROS
Outstanding Price
Good turn around time from order date to receipt (took mine 9 business days)
Extremely well packaged
Color matched exact
Included Instructions Mostly Accurate

CONS
Included Instructions Mostly Accurate
Installation hardware inlcuded is wrong size (detailed below)
Installation hardware inadequate
Paint job not clear coated completely?? (detailed below)

The only notible difference is that the OEM spoiler has a stud and a hole with an insert, where as this spoiler has 4 holes with inserts for securing it to the hatch.

Ok now the DIY
Stuff needed
A few items I suggest having not mentioned in the instructions.
Touch up paint matching your color
Nylon washers (#10)
4 replacement screws (10 x 24 x 3/4)
4 Star lock washers (#10)
RTV
Painters tape or something equivilant
Red Loc-tite
Alcohol pads (a couple will do)

After unwrapping this beast you need to set on in something soft while working on it. To much of the dismay of my 3 yr old, I borrowed his Elmo Pool towel to drape across my work bench to set the spoiler on.

Here is were I noticed that the paint job on the spoiler seems incomplete?? It is rough in a few places and has that "powdery" feeling to it like the clear coat was not applied to all of the spoiler. Also some of the inner "bends" seem very rough to the touch as if the paint was not applied correctly.
I should also mention that all of the paint issues I noticed are located on what will be the part of the spoiler closest to the hatch when installed.

The included instructions tell you to lay spoiler on the rear hatch so you can mark the placement after you get it even. Prior to doing this I installed 2 pieces of the "water insulation rubber" strips on each side to assist in "not" scratching my rear hatch while figuring out where it needs to be installed.

First, notice that extra hole on the top right side? We will take care of the later. I assume this is a common spoiler to another vehicle that uses that hole. There is no insert in it. It is just a hole.

I found it much easier to determine the correct placement by comparing the rear hatch window side seams to the edge of the spoiler. After looking at this I did not mark the hatch with a grease pencil / marker like suggested.

Next you are install the point studs which will be used to "mark" where you are to drill the holes in the hatch. The is one major problem with this idea. The lower studs will accurately mark where to drill. However, since the lower studs push the spoiler "out" from the hatch if naturally throws off the location of where the studs should correctly mark the top drill locations.
Therefore I suggest only installing the lower marking studs first. Place the spoiler on the hatch, ensure you line it up correctly and then slightly push in with some force on the middle of the spoiler. Carefully remove it and look for the dimples you left in the paint.

Now place the spoiler back on "elmo" :) and get your drill. I drilled an 1/8" hole first to act as a guide hole for the larger 1/4" drill bit. I also put painters tape over the rear hatch seams and on the inside of the hatch where the hole should be to help contain the drill shavings.

Now drill your larger hole.

Carefully remove the tape and use a shop-vac to clean out the holes and any drill metal shavings in the area. DO NOT WIPE SHAVINGS OFF REAR HATCH PAINT. You will scratch your paint. Wait until the end to clean off the entire hatch.

Now I reinstalled the lower marking studs and installed the upper marking studs in the spoiler. "Semi-Install" the spoiler by sticking the lower studs into the holes you just drill. Careful not to drag the upper sutds across your paint while pushing the spoiler into place.
Gently push down on the top of the spoiler over the marking studs to dimple those drill locations. Carefully remove the spoiler, place back on Elmo and proceed to tape, drilll, and clean the upper holes like you did with the lower holes.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
With all the marking studs removed, place the spoiler on the rear hatch to check to see if all the holes line up.

Perfection !! If you look closely you will see the holes for this spoiler are just a hair off from the "dimples" in the hatch for the OEM spoiler.
Now that everything lines up, place the spoiler on Elmo one last time. Reclean the holes in the hatch and ensure you get all the drill shavings. Use an alcohol pad to clean around the holes to help wipe any "wax" residue that should be on your E :). Grab your "Touch Paint" and paint the interior of those holes and any scratches you might have made.

While thats drying, time to work on the spoiler. Finish applying the rubber "water barrier" and install the rubber grommets around the holes. Also this would be the time to fill in that extra hole in the spoiler with RTV to prevent possible water instrusion into it.

I did not take any pictures of the new screws, but you should know what a screw looks like. Plus if you have purchased this spoiler it comes with 10 x 24 x 1/2 screws and the ones I bought are just 1/4" longer.
I strongly suggest using the 3/4 screws because in my case the inserts were approx an 1/8 inside the spoiler, add the thickness of the rear hatch, and the washers, and you end up with maybe only 1 or 2 threads catching if that ! Definetely not good. If you do get longer screws be carefull not to go to much longer than 3/4 or you will run the risk of driving the screw out the other side of the spoiler...yikes.
I also strongly suggest using nylon washers between the included washers and the hatch (so the order is screw, star lockwasher, flat washer, nylon washer).

This is to help prevent bi-metallic corrision between the metal washer and the hatch of the E. Call me paranoid, but I am well aware of all kinds of corrosion issues due to my job.
Next take your 4 loaded screws and liberally coat the threads with the red loc-tite. This will help aide in preventing vibrations from loosening them over time.

Lastly, install your spoiler!! Set it in place and finger tighten all the screws to ensure a properly line up of all the holes.
The OEM instructions state to tighten to 5-7 ftlbs. The instructions that come with this spoiler just state to not over tighten to prevent stress cracks in the spoiler. I would be more concerned with over tightening and pulling the inserts free :shock:
To be honest I cranked mine down pretty good. I can ensure it was over 5-7 ftlbs tight. I wanted to be sure that the foam rubber was smushed, and the star lock washers get a good dig in. I plan to pick up a screw driver type torque wrench tomorrow to see how tight I did make them.

Finally, grab your hose (ha-ha, mind from the gutter people...focus :)) and spray the entire rear of the E to ensure you get all the metal shavings off. DO NOT use a clothe as this time. Just spray it all down. You do not want to scratch your paint by wiping some drill shavings across the paint.

I would recommend checking the screws in a few days to make sure they are still tight and if the foam rubber collapse anymore.

Here are 2 of my completed pictures. The knuckle head in the reflection is me!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Great write up. Looks Great!

-tom

·
Registered
166 Posts
Outstanding.. I ordered mine from the spoiler depot.... can't beat the price. I ordered it unpainted and had it painted locally for 70 bucks. Looks awsome. The install was a pain. But looks good painted to match. Looks good MTP

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the Thread. I work for Honda in Jacksonville, Fl and I can't get parts for that cheap of a price. I just got my Element a week ago and love it. Now I can start upgrading my "E". :grin:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Did you need to use any sort of a special drill bit for the mount holes?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I learned a lot of nifty things here and like to repay the debt once in awhile.

As for the drill bits, nah nothing special. As a matter of fact the 1/4" bit I picked up at the local Advance Auto store because I just wanted to ensure I used a sharp bit. My drill index is in need of replacing.

The trick to drilling in metal is to go slow, apply a little oil to the bit (not for this job, but in general), and then you need to vary the speed.
Do not pull the trigger, rev the bit as fast as possible and push down as hard as possible. All that does is ruin the bit and cause possible metal fatigue on your project.

Varing the speed (by using the trigger) will help keep the bit cooler and drill faster. If the bit gets hot it dulls itself.

·
Registered
139 Posts
did anyone have a hard time with spoiler depot.com? I ordered my spoiler painted one week ago, and they told me that my credit card was not processing. after a long day of calling the credit card company and talking with the people at spoiler depot, i still havent got an answer as to what is going on with my order. I sent emails and the last thing i heard from the guy was that he will call me the next day to let me know what the status is. almost a week gone by and still no answer. Is there any where else that sells the spoiler at that price that wont give such a hard time?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Nice looking job ! Thanks for the DIY !!

Now, Did it add 2 to 5 MPH in the top end ?:lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hay MPT , I got my painted spoiler and installed it with your DYI , went on great . The only thing I did that you didn't mention is I cleaned the mounting hole with a bottom tap before installing any of the screws or set screws and before I put the spoiler on the hatch for lay out I put 4 pieces of blue painters tape on each side of the hatch where the mounting brackets set to prevent any scratches , I also left the tape in place and pushed the pointed set screws into the tape , center punched and then drilled . But your DYI was the best , fit perfect, Thanks.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
nice write-up and install guide,but it seems that HandA sells the tailgate spoiler for only 250.80 + 13.57 freight for the real deal. I'm just wondering if the factory spoiler would have the paint issues the OP has relayed to us?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Too bad they don't sell the larger spoiler (yours is called the "air deflector" from honda). :D

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
nice write-up and install guide,but it seems that HandA sells the tailgate spoiler for only 250.80 + 13.57 freight for the real deal. I'm just wondering if the factory spoiler would have the paint issues the OP has relayed to us?
SD makes and paints their own, as does Honda. I'd take an OEM Honda paint over any other.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts