Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this awesome idea/build and wanted to share my version.

I could have used just a single 10' section of SuperStrut, but I wanted my cross bars to extend out past the riser posts. Potentially could cause injury to us tall folx. I'll get some end caps to lessen the damage to my skull.

It really would have been best to use a drill press when drilling out the mounting holes in the small sections of SuperStrut that are used as the posts/risers. I don't have one, and I had to go back and re-drill some holes since the walking drill bit made them a little too off target. Total pain in the ass.

I also used red LocTite on all hardware, I don't want it going anywhere, and things disappear if they're not firmly locked down in my neighborhood. I painted the SuperStrut pieces with Rust-Oleum "truck bed coating". It's durable. Do not use their "undercoating", for it never seems to completely cure. I also used the Gorilla brand "waterproof patch and seal" just to keep moisture away from the mounting points, even though I used stainless steel mounting hardware.

Now I can get a full-size spare, keep it up top along with other things, and use the spare area inside for gear.
Wood Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior Plant
Tin Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Gas
Automotive tire Liquid Fluid Mouthwash Drink
Wood Musical instrument Vehicle door Trigger Gas
Plant Property Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt Font
Hood Wood Orange Window Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive carrying rack Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like I should have placed this in another sub forum? Either the DIY sub or the "Racks Hitches and Towing" forum. Mods, please feel free to move to the correct location. I'm new here!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I came across this awesome idea/build and wanted to share my version.

I could have used just a single 10' section of SuperStrut, but I wanted my cross bars to extend out past the riser posts. Potentially could cause injury to us tall folx. I'll get some end caps to lessen the damage to my skull.

It really would have been best to use a drill press when drilling out the mounting holes in the small sections of SuperStrut that are used as the posts/risers. I don't have one, and I had to go back and re-drill some holes since the walking drill bit made them a little too off target. Total pain in the ass.

I also used red LocTite on all hardware, I don't want it going anywhere, and things disappear if they're not firmly locked down in my neighborhood. I painted the SuperStrut pieces with Rust-Oleum "truck bed coating". It's durable. Do not use their "undercoating", for it never seems to completely cure. I also used the Gorilla brand "waterproof patch and seal" just to keep moisture away from the mounting points, even though I used stainless steel mounting hardware.

Now I can get a full-size spare, keep it up top along with other things, and use the spare area inside for gear.
View attachment 216235 View attachment 216236 View attachment 216238 View attachment 216239 View attachment 216240 View attachment 216241 View attachment 216242 View attachment 216243 View attachment 216244 View attachment 216245
What basket are you using?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was your investment?
****... I need to do that math. Cheaper than buying the OEM racks, cheaper than a Yakima or Thule rig. I didn't consider the many knockoff versions of the OEM racks on Cramazon, because I don't trust them. However, there is the time taken to make them in that equation as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts