Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 05 EX with a manual trans. It has 139K miles, was owned since new by one family, and looks to have been well maintained. The seller told me his repair shop advised him that it needs a new clutch. I've been driving it on and off for a few weeks and the shifter always feels a bit notchy when upshifting and is usually difficult to downshift into 1st and sometimes 2nd (but not always; sometimes it's fine). I'm wondering if I should just have the clutch master and slave cylinders rebuilt/replaced - maybe the hydraulic system isn't fully disengaging the clutch. But how to determine this? Neither the master or slave look to be leaking and the fluid looks clean - not brand new clean but clean.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,191 Posts
FWD or 4WD? Quick check if the clutch is not disengaging would be to put the front end up on jack stands (if FWD) or the whole vehicle (if 4WD); have someone depress the clutch pedal, you should be able to rotate the wheels.

·
Registered
2003 AWD EX
31 Posts
Have someone observe the clutch release arm on the transmission. If it has full range of motion when you depress and release the pedal, chances are the hydraulics are ok and you'll need to have the clutch disc, plate and release bearing replaced.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Check your shifting cables - mine started giving me troubles shifting into 1/3/5 but not 2/4/R - sometimes it wouldn't shift and other times it shifted fine for about a week and then one of them broke completely and I couldn't shift at all. Relatively easy fix. Not entirely sure what your symptoms are based on your description but worth checking the cable if the problems seems similar.

·
Registered
115 Posts
When stopped on a level hard surface and you are attempting to start moving as you normally would except without adding throttle, at what point in the pedals rearward travel does the car feel like its starting to move or the engine idle speed decrease? When in gear at a stop, engine running and clutch in, does the idle speed differ from being stopped in neutral?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently bought an 05 EX with a manual trans. It has 139K miles, was owned since new by one family, and looks to have been well maintained. The seller told me his repair shop advised him that it needs a new clutch. I've been driving it on and off for a few weeks and the shifter always feels a bit notchy when upshifting and is usually difficult to downshift into 1st and sometimes 2nd (but not always; sometimes it's fine). I'm wondering if I should just have the clutch master and slave cylinders rebuilt/replaced - maybe the hydraulic system isn't fully disengaging the clutch. But how to determine this? Neither the master or slave look to be leaking and the fluid looks clean - not brand new clean but clean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was able to go 195k before I had to replace my clutch. I had them do the master, slave and the fly wheel at the same time. I’m at 235k now runs like a clock. I have always check a clutch by putting the car in highest gear, put on the emergency brake, push down the brake and let the clutch out. If the clutch is good the car will stall right away if it’s worn the clutch will spin but not stall. My dad was a mechanical engineer and he taught me that when I was a teenager. I am not a teenager anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts