Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter said that when she added running boards to her Hyundai, her insurance premium went up. Has anyone seen an increase when they added an accessory to an Element?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
How would the insurance company know you added stuff in the first place.

Also, unless you specifically asked the insurance company to cover a certain part of the car (aftermarket things) in the event you crash your car, that extra stuff may or may not be covered.

The way I see it, if it looks like something that was there from the factory, and you were to get into a wreck, the insurance company will probably pay for a new one of those things.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Here's a semi-related story.
Some schmuck installs a bike carrier on his minivan and loads the bikes on for a family weekend getaway. He's cruising down I95 and hits 70mph, and what do you know, the improperly installed bike rack lets loose. It tears the spoiler off the lift gate, flips down and caves in the lower portion of the gate and proceeds to fly into the roadway, exploding with the bikes. Well, he brings it to my shop and his insurance covered it all! Even the bikes! I don't remember his carrier.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Here's a semi-related story.
Some schmuck installs a bike carrier on his minivan and loads the bikes on for a family weekend getaway. He's cruising down I95 and hits 70mph, and what do you know, the improperly installed bike rack lets loose. It tears the spoiler off the lift gate, flips down and caves in the lower portion of the gate and proceeds to fly into the roadway, exploding with the bikes. Well, he brings it to my shop and his insurance covered it all! Even the bikes! I don't remember his carrier.
He's got the best insurance ever... I just hope that claim didn't completely destroy his premium...

·
Registered
23 Posts
If she added them and then added an aftermarket accessories endorsement, then her premium would go up, but it shouldn't be substantial. If she called her insurance company and asked if they were covered, they likely told her no so that they could get her to purchase additional coverage. Some, if not all, insurance companies require some form of aftermarket endorsement on a policy if you add a lot of accessories. I worked in the insurance industry for 6 years and the company I worked for covered up to 1k in aftermarket equipment without purchasing additional coverage.
FYI, types of aftermarket coverages do vary by state sometimes, so I am just giving my info based on where I live.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Your daughter probably got a speeding ticket and doesnt want to tell you so she came up with this story.
ROFL this is something i'd have tried back in the day

1 - 11 of 11 Posts