Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I just bought a 2009 LX 2WD a few weeks ago.

After reading the numerous posts, it seems most people are getting around 24mpg, BUT I am consistently getting around 28mpg in 50/50 stop/go/highway traffic across large rolling hills... I have run about 6 tanks of gas and every one of them comes out to around 28mpg! I am extra careful about the measurements (odometer, gallons filled).

Is this odd or what? Maybe the wind keeps shifting to give me a boost :)

I read that the 09 has a 5 speed transmission, whereas other years have a 4 speed... could this account for it?

I do drive light on the gas pedal... so are the rest of you heavy on the pedal?

·
Registered
52 Posts
We've only calculated two tanks and received approximately 25 and 22 MPG. We also have the 4WD model.

Driving habits can have a huge impact on fuel economy, so literally, your mileage may vary. However, your ratings of 28 MPG are not out of line with other posts I've seen of varying years.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm pretty heavy on the gas pedel especially on the highway.

I average about 23-24mpg combined.

What you are seeing is a gearing change that happened in 2007. The AT went from 4 to 5 gears. this made a difference.

Otherwise driving habits will account for a big part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've noticed better MPG as well

I just the other day took my 09 4wd EX to VA Med Center in Johnson City TN. I did mountain roads, no A/C, and filled up after 74.5 miles and put in 2.65 gallons. Thats 28.11 MPG. I was very surprised. I was shocked cause its only got about 1250 miles on it.
So, I am getting way higher numbers as well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just got back from my "vacation" with a run up to and around NJ and on the ride up there (all highway) I got just over 26mpg in my 09. I was estatic. I'm not hoping for continued numbers but if it hovers around there it is way better then my 17mpg Rodeo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great MPG in my 09

Hi

I recently purchase a new 09 EX 4WD AT. At this stage only 1800 miles on it, 1300 of which was a trip across the Rocky Mt. Region to the west coast. My average highway speed on this trip was 65 – 70 mph with A/C on. I averaged 27.51 mpg over the 1300 mile trip. That ain't bad!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have about 3000 miles on my 4WD EX and have averaged 22MPG...all city driving so far. I'm doing my first road trip Saturday so I'll report back with highway milage after I get back.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ever since I put in a K&N air filter and Injen exhaust, I'm getting 26+ in my 08 E with mostly highway driving, some light in-town driving and with A/C on most of the time. I think I got around 28 on one tank!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ever since I put in a K&N air filter and Injen exhaust, I'm getting 26+ in my 08 E with mostly highway driving, some light in-town driving and with A/C on most of the time. I think I got around 28 on one tank!
I was always light on the gas pedal, trips to NY-CO and NY-FL @ 75MPH got only 22MPG @ best.
Here in CO I got 19MPG conbined and 22MPG in the HWY, very bad with a K&N filter.
Just traded and got a Nissan Rogue and I am getting a combined 25MPG.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I did an experiment on the last tank. still drove fast. Just didn't accelerate hard. slowed down to make green lights. No air-con. etc etc.

in other words eased up on my driving style. Got 26.25 MPG on the last tank. that's about 40% city and the rest highway.

It's more about your driving habits than the air filter you use or the oil you use.

My E has 44k on it and is bone stock besides the air filter. In fact I'm still riding the stock rubber.

;-)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have about 3000 miles on my 4WD EX and have averaged 22MPG...all city driving so far. I'm doing my first road trip Saturday so I'll report back with highway milage after I get back.
OK road trip completed about 400 miles; 24 MPG, lots of wind and some long hills, cruised @ 65-75 MPH the whole trip. Might have some more breaking in to do. Hope so anyway, I was hoping for a little better milage.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
What you have to do is compare like vehicles. You can't compare an AT AWD to a MT 2WD for example. The latter will get vastly better mileage. This is one of the reasons why we ask people to fill in their profile info. Then when things like this are being discussed you can see if you have the same setup and know whether your mileage or whatever is being discussed is relevant for you.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since I started using "Gas Cubby" on my IPhone to keep track and easing up on my driving, I'm averaging about 26.2 MPG with 40% HWY and 60% City. Most of it is do to my change of driving habbits I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Or...

You can use...

LBD

Click on the picture to redirect you to the webpage...

.....V..........V..........V..........V..........V..........V..........V..........V.........V..........V.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts