·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Start driving after 7 to 10 seconds !

Dom

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Like any modern vehicle, start it and go. "Letting it warm up" wastes gas and time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Warming Up The E

I start it and go. The outside air is off until the needle moves, then the hot air flows.

The girls don't like to be cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx

ok great thanx guys see I have a motorcycle and u are not suppose to ride those after start and I was always told cars were the same u have to give the oil time to circulate through the car. But din't know on the e's u didn't have to thanx

·
Registered
68 Posts
Start it and drive, idling to warm up is not only unnecessary but harmful to the vehicle and environment. Try to avoid driving it hard until it warms up a little though, "normal" driving is fine just no highway or hard acceleration for the first few minutes. If you live where the temperature is below freezing use a block heater.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Start it and drive, idling to warm up is not only unnecessary but harmful to the vehicle and environment.

Try to avoid driving it hard until it warms up a little though, "normal" driving is fine just no highway or hard acceleration for the first few minutes. heater.
This discussion about warming up your car always amazes me or should I say confuses me. AKRunner's statements are classic statement when this question comes up.
In his first sentence he says you don't need to warm it up. But the next sentence he says you do need to warm it up. Many others have said the same thing many times.
Maybe the question should be about "How To" and not should you.

It best to warm it up, period. IMHO

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
the next sentence he says you do need to warm it up.
No, he said to drive gently until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

Old, carbureted cars needed to warm up before they'd run decently. That time is long past. Warm it up as long as you like, if money and the environment are of no concern. But remember when you slam on the gas that the rest of the drivetrain is still cold.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Ok lets try a search on this topic!

This is one of 5 threads on warming up the E !
It contains some detailed explanations of the why's and why not's.

Dom

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Dang, the Mergerator has been slacking off!

LoL Paul !!

You know if the threads get too long. people don't bother to read them. Some of these topics need more than one thread!

Just Sayin .......

Dom

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
If someone is chasing you with a gun, just start it and go.:lol:

Otherwise, even in moderately cold weather, idling long enough for the fuel gage to come up to its max, fasten your seat belt, adjust the radio and check the mirror adjustments is plenty long enough for the oil to start circulating.

If you don't have an Owners Manual, PM me and I'll email you a zipped PDF (~3MB).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I suggest that you reread my post. Driving gently the first few minutes is not the same as letting it sit and idle to warm up. Idling does nothing but waste fuel and pollute the air. A modern fuel injected engine does not need to be warmed up by idling and even older carburated engines do not benefit enough from idling to justify it. Driving gently at first allows the moving parts to expand to proper dimensions and the lubrication attain proper viscosity before heavy demands are put upon it without wasting fuel and creating excess pollution.

This discussion about warming up your car always amazes me or should I say confuses me. AKRunner's statements are classic statement when this question comes up.
In his first sentence he says you don't need to warm it up. But the next sentence he says you do need to warm it up. Many others have said the same thing many times.
Maybe the question should be about "How To" and not should you.

It best to warm it up, period. IMHO

·
Registered
229 Posts
Driving gently at first allows the moving parts to expand to proper dimensions and the lubrication attain proper viscosity before heavy demands are put upon it without wasting fuel and creating excess pollution.

Not to signal you out most say the same as you.

The above statement makes my point "you should warm it up"

How you do it is the question. In your driveway or on the road.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Because letting it idle will take longer to warm up the engine compared to driving it lightly. It will warm up sooner and you will be moving toward your destination sooner also. I let mine idle for about a min. and then take off after that but not pushing the engine. Now Diesels are different as you do not want to take off right away as you could do cylinder damage as the piston gets hot quicker from the injector firing right into it and the cylinder does not heat up as fast.

·
Registered
478 Posts
ok great thanx guys see I have a motorcycle and u are not suppose to ride those after start and I was always told cars were the same u have to give the oil time to circulate through the car. But din't know on the e's u didn't have to thanx
I have a motorcycle too and the manual says to start it and go. It does have fuel injection though. It's not a Harley.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am old timer and I think this warm up thing started when we purchased a new car in the '50's - '70's. The dealer would give you very detailed instructions on how to drive it the 1st 100 miles. Max speed, no gunning, no jump starts, Warm up time, etc.

By the way, I remember my Dad would rev up the engine before he would shut it off.

Also, I was told by the Honda dealer (source of all knowledge???) that Honda actually runs the engines for some time before they install them in the cars. Checks for leaks and breaks in the engine. ???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts