Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2000 Subaru and 2003 Element - both have about 66,000 miles. They are about even as far as any known issues or expected repairs.

So the question is do we sell the Element or the Forester?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The Subaru just because my buddies 2001 forester had the engine blow up at 81k, just my $.02, not because I love the E.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If you kbb.com it, the E would probably get you more cash, so if you have no particular attachment, I'd sell the E and run the Subie into the ground.

·
Registered
481 Posts
A cool little trucklet vs a station wagon in high heels? Well now, in an Element enthusiast's group, which way do you think I'd go?? :D:D Whichever makes you happiest would be the thing. Screw the $$ difference, enjoy it while you have it!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thats a no brainer for me. I love my E too much to let it go. However that is a choice only you can make.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a 99 Forester with a stick and the tranny went out at 110,000 miles. I've been told that (manual transmissions) is the weak link for those vehicles. I loved that Subaru, but it couldn't hold a candle to the E. The versatility, the rear seat leg room, the fact that it's a Honda....

Sell the Sub. Keep the E.

(I wouldn't say it so bluntly, but you asked my opinion)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear ya on the tranny

I actually twisted the arm of the Subaru dealer for a new clutch at about 25,000 miles. Apparently they improved the clutch for the 2001's.

It is tough to make these kinds of decisions with a car with such low miles but a long age.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Go to a Forester forum and ask the same question. I think the people here are a tad biased.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We have a 2000 Subaru and 2003 Element - both have about 66,000 miles. They are about even as far as any known issues or expected repairs.

So the question is do we sell the Element or the Forester?
Which one do you need?

One comes with more space inside of it and is heavy on utility. The other one has a better AWD system, better mileage, and better handling.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
sell da subby

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lose the Subaru. I had an Outback that had all kinds of problems; paint, brakes, misc crap. I sold it and bought the E. Except for the short and unfortunate side trip with the Subaru, I've always had Hondas and they've never let me down. My 93 Civic is still on the road and I hope the E lasts just as long.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I dare say nearly all of the folks saying keep the Element are far too biased to honestly choose. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm the first to agree that I love anything "Honda". But I have owned both a Subaru Forester and a Honda Element. Since I'm still driving the E but the Sub is long gone, well, that tells you which one I like better. Call it "bias", or call it making an informed decision. I'd still choose the E.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts