Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I am a newbie. I have been shopping for a couple of weeks now. First I was looking at the Honda Civic Hybrid because the gas mileage was ideal for the amount of traveling that I do on a daily basis.

So this past weekend I went to Jim Coleman Honda in Clarksville, Md. and test drove the Honda Civic Hybrid for the second time because I was getting serious about actually purchasing. However, even though you can't beat the gas mileage the car is awfully tiny for my size. My knees felt like they were in my chin. So out of curiosity I test drove the Element and LOVED it!!

Now the dealer was unwilling to give me estimates unless I was willing to buy it that day. I am definitly interested in the EX 4 wheel drive. According to edmunds.com the invoice is $19,493.00. How much over that should I be willing to pay.

Also how is Honda's financing?

Thanks,

Mr. A

This site is great!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Honda Financing came in 0.4% below my best offer via Lending Tree, so I went with it. No problems to report.

·
Registered
137 Posts
[quote:4065489f2e="MrAnderson"]First I was looking at the Honda Civic Hybrid
[/quote:4065489f2e]

You might want to try the Toyota Prius its alot bigger and still gets about 55 mpg and I think priced in the low 20,000s.

[quote:4065489f2e="MrAnderson"]Now the dealer was unwilling to give me estimates unless I was willing to buy it that day. [/quote:4065489f2e]

Do yourself a favor and get a different dealer. Anyone who makes such a statement is just playing games. They are trying to pressure you into making the deal before you are ready.

In fact, I would avoid all salesmen and just call all the Internet Sales Managers at the other Honda dealers in your area. Offer them something reasonable over invoice ($500 is good) and just keep calling until you get a bite. If any one of them starts to play games, just move on. You may have to drive out of your way to get the car but it'll be worth it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yep, I got 'Honda' financing, which is a local Bank One here in Louisville, at 4.25% instead of the 4.75% that my credit union was offering.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My SOP Element EX 4wd was $21,950 ... :D I luv it more and more everyday!

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can definitely get the best deal by talking to the 'internet' sales departments. They will usually give you a good quote over the phone or via eMail. Then, you can either get it from one of them, or just take that number to your favorite local and most convenient dealer and tell them to take it or leave it. So far for me, the local dealers always met or beat the best prices I got from the big discounters which were further away.

Just because your sales guy is pushy doesn't mean the entire dealership is bad, and it sure doesn't mean you have to take his price. You're the one paying, you can walk out and they lose a sale.

A pushy salesman is a pain, but if the dealership is really conveniently located and you want a long term relationship for service there, it doesn't hurt to go with them if you can just avoid that salesman. If you get a bad feeling about the dealership over and beyond the one particular sales guy, then drop it and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to my local dealer today and they gave me a quote of 21,214 and that is out the door tax tags and destination included. They even said they could make it 21,000.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it down to 20,900 out the door with 4% financing from my credit union. I am hoping I can get teh price down a few more hundred if I am lucky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts