Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks!
this is my first time posting. I've enjoyed stealing and copying your ideas for months now :-D.

I got my E in August and I'm going on my first camping trip since I've had 'er. I'll be bringing a canoe. I have a roof rack but no kayak rack. Is the kayak rack really necessary?

I figure the roof rack should be fine but imagine the worst (a 17' canoe w/ metal detailing slowly scraping down the side of my E while driving down the NJ Turnpike <shudder>).

Thanks in Advance :D

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
short answer, No.

Do you have a canoe or a kayak? Canoes are easy to secure on a simple crossbar set up roof rack. Kayaks can take a little more finagling to get them tight. The saddles just make it a little easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, it's a canoe...
My main concern is the durability of the crossbars. I've never really used them before. I assume they can withstand 70mph w/ a 17' canoe on top for an hour and a half?

I guess w/ enough rope anything is possible :evil:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
we use ratchet straps and have driven 70mph with the yak on top.
Most of our yak trips are around 3 hour drives, and have logged many hours. Also the weekends were home were at home depot so just about every weekend there is something on those cross bars.:)

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
47 Posts
As a (roof rack) base, we outfitted our black 2004 Honda Element with the Thule 430 Tracker II Foot Pack/TK9's, Thule LB50 Load Bars, and the optional Thule 872xt 44inch Fairing (which eliminates wind noise).

With this to build upon, we simply added the Thule 579xt Canoe Carrier and have been thrilled with it, when carrying either our fully restored, 14'ft., three person, 1973 Radisson aluminum canoe, or our soon-to-be restored 12'ft., two person, 1968 Sportspal aluminum canoe.

Prior to owning the optional Thule 579xt Canoe Carrier, we simply tied our canoe directly to the Thule LB50 Load Bars via rope, using the Trucker's Hitch, which works just fine...but with three young kids, and long distance road trips, I'm all about whatever is the quickest and most secure nowadays, which, for us meant the Thule 579xt Canoe Carrier, without a doubt. Instead of fumbling around with a ton a rope, now I can just fasten down four straps, and we're off! Takes about 5 minutes, honestly.

Here's a photo (before we added the optional fairing) with the 14' Radisson secured via the Thule 879xt, for reference:

Hope this helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts