Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well looks like there will be a 2010 season for us after all . . . We're off the injured-disabled list ;-)

Many thanks to the University of Wisconsin at Madison Vet school for getting us through our shoulder injury 8)

AND . . . we saw TWO Elements at this event, both with jumping dogs !! :cheerleader:

I didn't think to get a pic but one was Kiwi and the other Atomic blue - the Kiwi folks were crating right out of the back of the E and put on a great "E = dog friendly" show.

Check out the 28th and 29th words of this post from the DD forum :

:arrow: http://www.dockdogs.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=228&topic=24916.0

Here's "Sabre" - a yellow lab that has refused to jump for 3 years straight . . . he finally went in with a 3 footer !! Great way to start the season :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Good to hear that Obi is ready to start the season!!! Looking forward for pictures!

Yay for Sabre!!!! :-D They are fun when they don't want to jump.

"You go Pam and Brandy, get the E and join the EOC"

Did you by any chance see Crazy Parker's mom from Buckeye dock dogs? She drives a GGM. I hope you will meet them sometime.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The event was held at the Berwyn, Il. "Mutt show" last weekend. DD was just small part of the festivities (but had the biggest crowd . . . lol )

Obi hit a few big ones including a 22 footer that put us in the Masters Finals. In these pics , you can see both his shoulders were shaved (the previous Monday) for his final "good-to-go" Ultrasound. Sort of made him look part Chupacabra :oops:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good to hear that Obi is ready to start the season!!! Looking forward for pictures!

Yay for Sabre!!!! :-D They are fun when they don't want to jump.

"You go Pam and Brandy, get the E and join the EOC"

Did you by any chance see Crazy Parker's mom from Buckeye dock dogs? She drives a GGM. I hope you will meet them sometime.
No "Crazy Parker" but we did have a few whacko Border Collies competing including our club's "Super Star" Rumor, who won the Super Elite with a +25 footer :shock:

Here's "Jethro" (Sabre's brother), "P.J." and "Finnegan" - all from ChicagoLand Dock Dogs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
How'd they do that?

How do you get a dog to do that? Are they just naturally inclined? I think it is so cool to see them leaping so high and far into the water. I carried my 2 year old rottweiler into the pool and craddled him in the water before letting him go. He did fine, but I can't get him to like to go swimming.:?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How do you get a dog to do that? Are they just naturally inclined? I think it is so cool to see them leaping so high and far into the water. I carried my 2 year old rottweiler into the pool and craddled him in the water before letting him go. He did fine, but I can't get him to like to go swimming.:?
It really involves 3 separate things all glued together at the appropriate time:

1) They must like swimming and goofing around in the water without toys or docks or people. :)

2) They must have an INCREDIBLE "Toy Drive" ;-)

a.k.a "must get my toy - must get my toy - must get my toy - must get my toy - must get my toy - must get my toy - must get my toy - must get my toy . . . "

3) If they meet the #1 and #2 criteria, then it's just a matter of time and practice before they connect the dots and realize the QUICKEST way to get that toy is a straight line . . . jumping off a 2 ft high dock will mean nothing to them. :roll:

And , Yes . . . Rotties do jump !!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Jea . . . you've been to a Dock Dogs Event . . . Why is it that when the Dog looks good in the pic, the handler doesn't :lol:

Here's Obi's 22 footer borrowed from a friends camera :|

(bonus points if you clear the "Best Buy" sign)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
So Jea . . . you've been to a Dock Dogs Event . . . Why is it that when the Dog looks good in the pic, the handler doesn't :lol:

Here's Obi's 22 footer borrowed from a friends camera :|
Isn't it one of the Murphy's laws? Looking forward to have an event close again soon! (I would prefer it to be outside, inside it was crazy loud:-D )

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hooray! What great pictures!

My Baxter just started leaping into the water after his toys (last summer, he definitely stepped into the water). Maybe there's a dock dive in his future. :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dock Dogs at the Rose Parade

Well, the 2010 Dock dog season is over (and Obi-Wan did great !! We made the Ribbon Round in the Nationals Masters Division Finals in Dubuque last month) . . . but 2011 will start shortly and there will be this VERY interesting demo at the 2011 Rose parade . . . 8)

Yes, folks . . . Dock Dogs jumping on a Rose Parade Float !! They started auditioning dogs/handlers this week . . .

from "Stanley" over on the DockDogs forum said:
The Natural Balance Rose Parade Float recently completed a test run. The Dock is shaping up and the Skimboarding section will soon be ready for dogs.

The float currently looks like a piece of art consisting of steel and wire mesh. The pool will be constructed in the near future and the decorating will begin.

The following video was taken during the test run of a few parade floats, Natural Balance being one of the participants. Look for the naked wire float at the following times on the video: 0:46, 1:18, 1:38, 1:50

Test run video
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1654555441238&ref=mf

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a video of the tryouts for the Natural Balance Rose Parade Float . . . a.k.a. "The worlds heaviest float" ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYbUMSIBjKU&feature=player_embedded

YIKES ! . . . does that dock and pool look small after you have been on a regulation DD competition dock/pool . . . :shock:

The float pool is 9ft wide x 20ft long v.s. 20ft x 40ft and dogs were not allowed to jump past 12 ft (the blue tape marks in the pic below) for safety reasons . . .

http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/6f76b7a8-2216-4968-a8af-ddb1f0d9f99f/News/KTLA-The-Float-Designer-9AM

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Box - Whoaaa daddy!
A Natural Balance Rose Parade Float?
What are you kidding!?
Sounds great!

I haven't been to the Rose Parade in years and it is the greatest parade in the world!
Heck - I might consider going this year just to see this float.
Maybe we can get a bunch of us EOCers together and do a group thing.

I'm telling ya - "Go Smell the Roses"
If you've never done it before - going to the Rose Parade at least once in your life is amazing fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts