Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Disney World... great trip, but just an aweful rental as we had a Dodge Calibre. My wife's Toyota Yaris Sedan has twice as much foot and cargo room than the Calibre (not taking anything away from the Yaris, as it's been a wonderful ride for us). Stiifest, worst ride of any vehicle I've ever been in!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I shopped the Caliber when it was first hitting the market as part of my car-buying research. Not all of the trim lines were even available the first model year, and the ones that were available were filled with interiors that made my '86 LeBaron seem nice by comparion. It looked a lot bigger than it was.

My impressions of it were so unfavorable that I didn't even bother to test drive it. In fact, it got crossed off my list BEFORE the Chevy HHR.

·
Registered
357 Posts
it's the replacement for another dismal ride... The Neon.

I used to drive one for work, I've never been more religious than when I drove that. "God please don't let me get killed today!"

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
it's the replacement for another dismal ride... The Neon.

I used to drive one for work, I've never been more religious than when I drove that. "God please don't let me get killed today!"
In all fairness, the second-generation Neon wasn't a horrible car. It wasn't a great car, but for what it was, an el-cheapo econobox to get you from Point A to Point B inexpensively, it fulfilled that role reasonably well. My boyfriend has an '05, and we've gotten 34 mpg out of it on the highway, it has enough pep to pull into traffic, I could only dream of having that car's a/c in the Element, it's not uncomfortable, and aside from a camshaft position sensor that took 15 minutes to change and cost $8, it's been problem-free.

The first generation Neon, on the other hand, was a horrible car.

Dodge tried to pretend the Caliber was something more than an el-cheapo econobox, and they tried to charge like that, too. But, the Caliber isn't a good enough car to do that.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In all fairness, the second-generation Neon wasn't a horrible car. It wasn't a great car, but for what it was, an el-cheapo econobox to get you from Point A to Point B inexpensively, it fulfilled that role reasonably well. My boyfriend has an '05, and we've gotten 34 mpg out of it on the highway, it has enough pep to pull into traffic, I could only dream of having that car's a/c in the Element, it's not uncomfortable, and aside from a camshaft position sensor that took 15 minutes to change and cost $8, it's been problem-free.

The first generation Neon, on the other hand, was a horrible car.

Dodge tried to pretend the Caliber was something more than an el-cheapo econobox, and they tried to charge like that, too. But, the Caliber isn't a good enough car to do that.
Not knocking the power. It had plenty of pep.... but the brakes were HORRIBLE! I was constantly in fear for my life. It had many trips back and forth to the dealer and they could never fix it for more than a day or two. I finally told my boss that if he didn't get me something else to drive i'd quit.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had a rental Calibre as well, and I will second the crampy interior, probably caused by the weird shaped exterior, that resembles a Volvo. The worst rental I ever had was a convertible PT cruiser. I hated it, and i always felt like no matter where I sat in the car I was sitting downhill. Ughhh...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I hate anything CHRYSLER......

·
Registered
557 Posts
I will make a motion in saying I enjoyed one Chrysler, the newer Charger, though it did have a feeling of being cramped inside, it was still a cozy ride

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
One of the guys in our car group has a SRT4 caliber, it is completely stock except for a mopar stage 1 kit. It is pretty fast, handles like a go kart, and still pulks 28 mpg on the freeway. I think it looks bad a$$ too, it is all black with chrome wheels.

·
Registered
557 Posts
One of the guys in our car group has a SRT4 caliber, it is completely stock except for a mopar stage 1 kit. It is pretty fast, handles like a go kart, and still pulks 28 mpg on the freeway. I think it looks bad a$$ too, it is all black with chrome wheels.
An SRT4 anything will be fast, but the Caliber still has an ugliness to it...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
We all do!
Not true. I just hate everything that Chrysler presently makes. I had hope for the 300, but then I had the displeasure of driving one in the mountains of Tennessee. To put it in perspective, my friend and I (I work at Ford, he at a Ford dealer, so we talk cars a lot) intro'd it to me as, "You gotta drive this piece of **** rent-a-car I have!"

As odd as it sounds, I miss the Dynasty, Acclaim, and LHS. Those were some of the last good cars to come from Chrysler...

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Nothing on this side of the pond is anywhere near as bad as anything made by Fiat what JUNK. Sad to see they bought into Chrysler, now that's adding insult to injury. Course I also got suckered into buying a Vega:mad:.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think the 300 looks awful. Never liked it.......

I'll admit some of the body styles look OK but they ride awful and the quality sucks......

·
Registered
166 Posts
I drove my friends. I felt like I was gonna break it. His is a manual and with no tachometer i felt like I was gonna blow it up!!! hehehe I'm am used to honda's with redlining at 8k rpm. In the Caliber I think it was like 4 or 5k. Ewww! It's very cheap feeling.. I am glad I love my Honda's!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
So, is it me or has Chrysler been designing the visual version of the "Brown Note"?

·
Registered
895 Posts
So, is it me or has Chrysler been designing the visual version of the "Brown Note"?
I think you might be on to something there.:D
My opinon is that Chrystler has had geat ideas but always screws them up to make just a bit more profit. Maybe had they had innovation and quality people would become repeat customers. I have never been in a Mopar vehicle that wasn't increadably cheap inside, more so than even Fords or Chevys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I rented a pt cruiser once. Worst car EVER. But then the Caliber was a step down from the pt cruiser - so if it is worse then then PT, it is indeed poor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts