Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in to get my tires rotated and left feeling like I dodged a number of bullets!

Bullet number 1

So I imagine most of us have heard about the Massive Takata Airbag recall at this point and have looked around to make sure our Element was safe. Well I am not even half way through a 10,000 mile road trip and brought my E to have the tires rotated at a local Honda service center in round rock texas. Now let me just say I checked two different websites which claimed to look up recall status based on vehicle model and vin #. Well upon getting to the service center I was told that a number of the websites don't have up to date info on all models and my E happens to be one of them...

Now the main reason I ended up going to the honda service center rather than just getting the tires rotated at any old shop was, when accelerating from a dead stop I've been hearing a slow clanking/ knock from the passenger side. I just started hearing a few days ago and being that I am on the road for another 5-6000 miles this summer I wanted to look at it right away. Seeing the number of older threads talking about this issues with a no one solid resolution and the over all recommendation being to have someone look at it. I figured getting to a honda specific center wasn't a bad idea. Well thankfully I did.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117841

Bullets number 2 and 3

I had guessed right, the sound was my front passenger side rotor slipping. When braking it would grab and slide forward with the wheel when accelerating quickly it was then rock back into place against the bolts. What I didnt guess was that on the passenger side the bolts were just GONE and it was spinning. On top of that on the driver side the bolts were sheared so it would have been doing the same very shortly... I should also mention I had the rotors and brake pad replaced 4 months, 7000 miles ago. This should not have happened and I will be finding a new mechanic.

So I came in to get my tires rotated and have what I thought was a lose rotor tightened. I left getting my driver side air bags replaced and both my front rotors reinstalled... oh and my tires rotated. Feeling a little shaken but glad all worked out the way it did.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm confused about your rotor issue (a rotor can't move if you wheel is on, no matter if the 2 screws that hold it to the hub are installed or not), but I'm glad you got your issues resolved quickly and didn't have to wait for the airbag parts. A lot of folks here are being told the parts are back-ordered.
Enjoy the rest of your road trip!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Like Xvoltm2, I am also confused about your post. Are you sure your not talking about the bolts holding the calipers/brake assemblies on? The rotors are sandwiched against the hub and the wheel by the lug nuts. If all the lug nuts fell off, your tire and wheel would leave the vehicle and pass you going down the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So thanks for asking these questions, I guess I may have been a little more worried than I should have been. But the way it was explained to me was that the loose rotors were shifting between the hub and wheel creating the knock. The main concern I guess was that the calipers were not able to be grip the lose rotor properly. That coupled with the unexpected air bag recall it just caught me off guard.

As to the bolts being sheared/ non existent. I just wish I had been told when they were replaced that they weren't put in or were broken.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I'm translating this description in my head to see:

The wheel lug nuts were put on finger tight at some point and never snugged down. The two retaining screws holding the rotors to the hubs were loose on one side and sheered away on the other because the wheels were actually loose enough that the rotors could slide slightly between the wheel and hub until they came up on the lug bolts starting and stopping.

This would of course also meant that the wheels could've come further loose and either started wobbling, broke, or come off the vehicle while driving - most likely because a mechanic forgot to do one simple thing during a job.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

I'm translating this description in my head to see.

Yes so that is more or less how it was explained to me, excluding the fact that the wheels were not lose. So it really just wasn't my problem at all.

After driving another few hundred miles the sound was back and although not getting worse was still driving me a little insane. I brought it to another shop down in alpine taxes. Nice older gentleman who came on a decent recommendation from a friend. He looked it over again and told me it what the passenger side sway bar link. Although he only looked at it for a few minutes he was very confident and straight up stated that I had nothing to worry about. That it was safe to drive on and I could worry about getting it fixed at the next place that had the part. So I called up the next town I was stopping in for a few days and headed out. Now in Peoria, AZ and at another shop (i made sure they would have the part) only to find out that it wasn't the sway bar link either. Now I've been under the car with the guy and have had him showing me first hand what is wrong.

The list:

Outer tire rod end/
steering tie rod end bushing
lower ball joint

Lets hope this one does it.

I have to say at the very least this has been a learning experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts