Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SMM EX with the stock alloy wheels and I don't like the way they look in comparison with the Shoreline Mist/Black thing I have going on. I would like to paint the rims black and was wondering if anyone has done this before.

I also thought about taking some sandpaper and etch them a bit and then rub the black paint into the etched surface.

Your thoughts and expertise is greatly welcomed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sure, go ahead. :)
Seriously, yes it can be done. I've not done a set of Element wheels but I have painted other alloys. Very simple: remove wheels from car, clean all surfaces thoruoghly, dry, sand and spray (I've used ordinary spary paint from the hardware store successfully) - clear coat is optional. Re- mount on car and enjoy.
Another option is to have a body shop paint them, I've seen this approach a number of times.
If you just want to see how it might look, you could purchase some vinyl sign material and cut it out and apply. It may not last long because of the heat generated from the brakes.
Good luck.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would have them powder coated if you're serious about doing it right. Powder coating is incredibly tough, very heat resistant, and believe it or not, it's not very expensive at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would agree with poweder coating rather than painting,
but if you want to paint them, here are some good instructions:

What you need:

4-6 cans of Rustoleum Black Night Metallic Paint
1-2 cans of Rustoleum White Primer
1 can of Rustoleum or other brand clear coat
1-2 large rolls of masking tape
1 8 sheet package of fine grit sandpaper
1 Jack and 2 Jackstands

Estimated Time: Around 4 hours

Remove wheels from car it is easier to do 2 at a time so jackstands will be needed.

Wash them with some water and soap until all dirt is gone, then dry completely.

Use a fine sandpaper and sand down all surfaces to be painted. You need
to get rid of the clear coat. If silver they should become a powdery looking silver/whitish color.

Mask off the tire and all places that you do not want painted.

Use a white primer, it makes it easier to see where you have already painted. Apply 2-3
coats and let dry completely between coats.

Apply 4+ coats of paint making sure to use light layers at first and then build up to the full
coats for an even finish for the last couple coats. Make sure to let them dry thourghly between coats.

After the paint is dry, apply 2 coats of clear coat for extra protection.
Allow to dry for about 30-45 mins before re-applying to the car.

Repeat for the other three wheels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the expert advise. I will try to start the painting process this weekend and will post pictures when I am done.... that is if it turns out okay.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Also, make sure you clean the wheels thoroughly after sanding them and before painting them, you don't want any dust left on there.

·
Registered
519 Posts
[quote:8cc4dd7dc0="eMass"]I would have them powder coated if you're serious about doing it right. Powder coating is incredibly tough, very heat resistant, and believe it or not, it's not very expensive at all.[/quote:8cc4dd7dc0]
I gonna have to disagree with you. The powdercoating that I have seen seems to chip pretty easy. I have owned 4 different sets of painted wheels & all of them have held up very well. I did buy them all painted by maufacture though.
I bought a set of used Bell Tech drop spendels for an S10 that I had, I painted them myself & baked them in an oven. When I sold the truck I took them off & theb looked great after being on my S10 for 2yrs.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Powder coating here in Jersey runs about $125 per wheel (includes all prep work)I can buy a set of four brand new alloy rims on e-bay for $259 or $64.75 per alloy. No shipping because I would pick these up. Even with shipping,($100 + $259 = $359/4= $89.75 per alloy rim) many new rims are cheaper then powder coating your existing rims.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am a strong supporter of powder coating. When done right it is extremly durable. I currently own a 2001 Lightning along with my Element and i had my traction bars on my L sand blasted and powder coated, one section of the bars rubs on the frame and the coating is holding strong. But........even if a good friend does your powder coating ( like mine ) you could buy a set of black or white or chrome or polished or gunmetal or whatever for the same $ or less. Unless you're looking for a custom color why sweat trying to paint when you can buy with no worries? Good Luck! :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts