Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I've been reading up on here and it sounds like I have either bad engine or transmission mounts. A couple weeks ago I started noticing that my E was making a loud creaking/squeeking sound whenever I took off from a dead stop or the car's weight shifted. When the car is off and in park I can hear the creaking if I rock the car back and forth. I'm trying to figure out where the mounts are. I can see the one that's behind the engine right about the centerline of the car, but are there not two others? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for but from what I've read here, those seem to be a good place to check for the source of the noise. The noise kinda sounds like a big wooden door that need to be oiled if that makes any sense.

Are these mounts fairly easy to replace without much danger of me losing a limb? LOL

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The mounts are not too hard to replace and you can look at the rubber in the mount to see if its worn. The other thing that will cause creaking is the struts and the swaybar bushings.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is there only one transmission mount? Are the rest of the mounts motor mounts? Is there a diagram anywhere online showing where the mounts are?

One other thing that I just remembered just in case it helps anyone....I remembered that just before the noise started I was driving down the road when it felt like something fell out ot the engine compartment. I heard it hit the bottom of the car....kind of like if a couple of high bouncer balls fell from the engine.

·
Registered
751 Posts
There are 4 mounts, I can't tell you if they are considered engine or transmission.

1)Looking at the engine bay, there's a mount from the engine to the strut tower area, this mount should be filled with some sort of oil. If it's cracked, you likely need a new one.

2)Looking at the engine bay, on the transmission side is a mount that goes from the transmission to the fender area, I can't remember off hand where it is in relation to the strut tower.

3) Looking down on the engine at the front of the car, you should see a mount on the transmission side of the engine.

4) Looking up from under the car, you should be able to find another mount at the rear of the engine, near the transmission. I think the rubber part of this mount sits over the sub frame.

I have found that usually a bad mount results in extra vibration. I'd look at suspension members for creaks and groans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts