Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya- I'm wanting to get a CAI for my '05 EX....I've been checking out the possibilities online and the K&Ns seem to be reasonably priced (unfortunately price is a big consideration for me) and of course even I, not much of a gearhead, have heard of K&N. HOWEVER, all the K&N offerings I've seen which claim to be CAIs are actually short rams. From everything I read a short ram would be better than the stock setup, but I'm pretty sure the CAI is what I ultimately want to install. Do K&N make an intake which is an actual CAI? I's appreciate any info!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Yeah,as you've found they seem to only offer the S.R.I. style intake kit for the Element.I have a K&N Typhoon kit on my E' and I really like it.8)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I have the same kit and it works well and the filter is easy to clean.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I have the same kit and it works well and the filter is easy to clean.
Yeah,that was one of the reasons I chose an S.R.I. I'm not really interested in pulling my front bumper assembly off each time for a simple filter cleaning.Oh and I like being able to quickly glance at the filter and know when I'm about due for a cleaning:) At one time I had a C.A.I. on my E' and personally I really didn't notice a difference between the two.:?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, y'all- I was on the verge of ordering an Injen CAI but if the performance difference isn't that great maybe I'll go for the Typhoon- I've noticed a lot of folks on this forum seem to have them- about $100.00 difference between the two which is a good chunk of change, for me anyway.

So are you being serious- you really have to take the front bumper off to get at the filter once you have a CAI installed? Because if that's the case, I'm REALLY going for the Typhoon! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
i'm using AEM CAI

so i can't help you answer your question OP

+1 for post counts? :)

AEM has the dryflow filter, and that's what i like to look towards; no more filter oil.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Thanks for the replies, y'all- I was on the verge of ordering an Injen CAI but if the performance difference isn't that great maybe I'll go for the Typhoon- I've noticed a lot of folks on this forum seem to have them- about $100.00 difference between the two which is a good chunk of change, for me anyway.

So are you being serious- you really have to take the front bumper off to get at the filter once you have a CAI installed? Because if that's the case, I'm REALLY going for the Typhoon! Thanks!
You're welcome.:)
Yeah unfortunately to gain enough access to it,you'd have to remove the front bumper.:| I do think you'll be quite pleased with the K&N Typhoon kit on your E'.8)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That settles it - it's K&N for me. I appreciate the info!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
and dont forget to post some pics when you install it ;-) maybe some sound:food007: ???? kinda want to hear what it sounds like.

dont forget!! SRI seems to trigger the check engine light...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll definitely post some pix....not that my E is any kind of show car. At the moment there's nothing under the hood that isn't stock.

I was under the impression that the "check engine" light coming on after a SRI installation was a problem only with vehicles with a MAF sensor- 'the 05 model doesn't have a MAF, does it?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I was under the impression that the "check engine" light coming on after a SRI installation was a problem only with vehicles with a MAF sensor- 'the 05 model doesn't have a MAF, does it?

You're correct the 07' and up Elements have a mass airflow sensor.:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool. Well, I just ordered me a Typhoon. I'm looking forward to it but I hope it has good instructions. I can follow directions but I'm not a mechanic, for sure.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Cool. Well, I just ordered me a Typhoon. I'm looking forward to it but I hope it has good instructions. I can follow directions but I'm not a mechanic, for sure.
It's pretty straight forward,I don't think you'll have any trouble with your installation.8)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad to hear it. I need to familiarize myself with all that jazz under the hood though- never had anything with an engine like this so I don't even know what half of the stuff is:oops: well, probably an exaggeration but not much...

·
Registered
300 Posts
so the CEI will go on with the 07 and up models only???
wow, i learn something new everyday.

good luck with the installation, it should be straight forward. POST some pics ;-)
maybe a sound video:taz:

^
|
WOW I DIDNT KNOW THERE WAS A TAZ ICON!!! I LOVE TAZ!!

anyways good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts