Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
K+n will not increase your mileage. however it will increase the dirt that is in your oil. They don't filter anything smaller than a grain of sand.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The K&N filters do not void warranties. There has been a lot of debate over K&N filters on this board, do a little research and you will see lots of differing views. I have a basic K&N filter, not the whole intake deal and did not notice any appreciable gains in mileage. The intake will give you more HP but you would have to be careful that your driving style doesn't change to play with the extra power/sounds from the engine. That will defeat any mileage gains quickly.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,693 Posts
K+n will not increase your mileage. however it will increase the dirt that is in your oil. They don't filter anything smaller than a grain of sand.
+1 on that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You don't get any more of anything. Just more noise. The claims are always something more at a high rpm's. If you always drive at a steady 4,200 rpm's then it's true.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hold on Nancy!

It did make a differance on my 08 ex, I used gibson cat back and AEM cold air intake. What I got was a splended sound and the same mpg on highway and Freeway, I get about 25mpg weather I go 85 or 55, that is an improvement worth note, before I was getting 19mpg at 80 on the freeway! that is huge!\\Next up bitchen BFG's!

·
Registered
12 Posts
almost forgot

also noticed a much better acceleration through the gears when canning it " I have an auto-Matic" big big differance when I leave it in D it doesn't peter out when shifting like it did before!

Was it worth the $950 I spent on it, "not to my Wife" You bet you sweat sweat Element driven ass it was!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've heard this before, but where's the proof?

They did a tour of K&N on one car related show, and they were doing filtering effectiveness tests. Not sure why they'd bother if their target was a grain of sand. Doesn't make any sense.

Now, on the other hand, if one were not to pre-oil the filter before installation, it's going to allow much more dirt through.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
A Duramax owner tired of the lack of scientific evidence pursued a path of testing that eventually ended with a lab performing the ISO 5011 procedure on a number of replacement air filters. The result was one that many might have concluded on their own - for a given size, a filter's ability to trap dust is inversely proportional to its flow rate. If keeping dust from your engine is the goal, a paper filter such as an AC Delco will provide far superior filtering performance, but you'll pay a price in airflow. If WOT performance is most important, the K&N filter used in this test provided about 50% less restriction to airflow, with the 1.6" of H20 difference in air pressure drop at 350 CFM making for a minimal difference (~0.5%) in power at this flow rate. The K&N and UNI filters were far less efficient at trapping dust, and note that they lose their flow advantage after filtering about 180 grams of dust.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Their ads say the K&N will increase performance over a dirty paper filter. Of course it will and a clean paper filter will also increase performance over a dirty paper filter.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Hoboy, not this debate again...

I definitely got better mileage after I put in my K&N drop-in, though the cliche "your mileage may vary" can be taken quite literally. A lot more depends on your driving style and patterns than just your air filter. Also, as has been stated, though they do let in more particulate, K&N does stand behind their product and if it's proven that their product damaged your engine they'll pay for the repairs.

You don't get any more of anything. Just more noise. The claims are always something more at a high rpm's. If you always drive at a steady 4,200 rpm's then it's true.
You're not far off there in your RPM range. On the interstate I cruise at around 75-80 and it's right around 4000 RPM.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
71 Posts
Eh I don't know if it improves gas mpg, I put one on my wife's Element and it does accelerate a little better not by much though. The thing that sold me is K&N does stand behind their product and filter replacement cost. Figure paper filters on Autozone are $14.00, so 5 filter changes would cost $70.00. One K&N cost about $50.00, wash it clean it and oil it and you are good to go.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,693 Posts
Eh I don't know if it improves gas mpg, I put one on my wife's Element and it does accelerate a little better not by much though. The thing that sold me is K&N does stand behind their product and filter replacement cost. Figure paper filters on Autozone are $14.00, so 5 filter changes would cost $70.00. One K&N cost about $50.00, wash it clean it and oil it and you are good to go.
And you still have a oil coated screen.

Any one want to buy a bridge?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have used K&N's on five vehicles, including both of my 2005 Elements.

Two of the vehicles- a '97 Ford 4.2L V-6 in a 5 speed F-150 and a '02 Chevy 4.8L V-8 in my 2WD Silverado showed real improvement over NEW stock paper elements. 2MPG better with the Ford V-6 (on every tank of gas!) and much better part throttle acceleration with the Chevy V-8 and the same mileage.

Neither '05 Element showed ANY difference with the K&N filters. Same mileage, same power. I am not putting one on my 2006 E or my '09 Subaru.

The fifth vehicle was a '00 Ford 4.6L V-8. Gas mileage dropped 1 to 2 mpg -however that was because of noticeable power gain above 4000 RPM -where you had to get that POS engine to make ANY power.

Conclusion- save your money and use good paper filters in your Element.
Give a K&N a try in big V-6's and small V-8's.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Okay...

+1 on that.
Well gang, I'm sure the OP (jenerate) needs an answer so would you guys (Rick92040, 07lmnt, & siclmn) mind telling us what you are using...?

Just trying to get an answer for a fellow EOCer...

Thanks...!

LBD

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Everyone want's to do whats best for there vehicle. I drive a lot and need it to last over 200k. (500k would be nice) I don't want extra dirt in my oil and I don't mind paying a little extra to extend the life of the engine.
I use the stock Honda air filter and change it and the oil when the truck tells me to. I also Honda oil filters and Moble 1 5-20. I think it's the right thing to do.. It's 2 years old with 62000 miles.
If you want to modify your vehicle and trade longevity for performance that's fine but you shouldn't try to convince others to do the same.
In my opinion if Honda thought something was better it would have done it in the first place.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Are all of you world class racers and you need some extra performance? Then do every performance upgrade you have read about on this forum and be one or two seconds faster then stock when you floor your Element. If I want to go faster then I just step on the gas a little harder. I have 60,000 on the original air cleaner and I will probably change it soon but I am still getting the same mpg as when it was new so I know it's not clogged yet. Find something else to throw away your money on rather then your car.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,693 Posts
Only use OEM in all of my vehicles.

On the E, I added one of those sensors from a diesel truck that measures any restriction and sets a flag to change the element. So far at 25k it's still the original.

Heres a link to one that is similar I bought at auto recycler for $5.00
http://www.filterminder.com/

·
Registered
872 Posts
what does the air filter have to do with getting the oil dirty????? & whose sand are you mesuring,west coast,east coast,ocean of mexico,hiwiiE? desert sand? but yes if your filter lets sand through or any other major or minor amounts of abrasive through to your cylinders, it will wear your cylinders &rings &cause some extra blowby witch is what makes your oil dirty,(and a very little that goes up your exhaust guide:shock:. if you dont know how to clean the filter you can&will probably damage it . most good paper elements flow more that a used & cleaned k&n. on my old street car I used the elcheepo kmart brand slant 6/bronco paper filtersX2 (duel four tunnelram) at $1.76 each and changed them every month.(or less depending on weather)I think the price went up to $3.20 in the 90's. & I could not justify the K&N.by price or flow since the paper always out flowed the k&N once they were cleaned. on a moter that turns 8500-9000+ rpm dayley.flow & cleaning the air is more importaint.+it always looked great!!!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts