Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... so, the Element has aways been a "dogmobile"... but now we are having a baby! I have a 65 pound dog and he is currently able to lay across the entire back seat... well... not anymore once we install a car seat! He is still able to curl up next to it but of course, my #1 baby won't be fully comfortable. He has a very long body (think Shepherd or greyhound lengh) and I want him to be comfy. He can lay down on the floor but he prefers to look out the window. Plus, when we drive on the freeway, I use a seatbelt for him.

I'm just curious as to what other folks have done, those who have both a large dog and a baby. Do you just give in and let your dog take second place once you have a baby? Do you take out a seat and let your dog lay on the ground?

Also... the stroller seems to take up the entire back trunk area! I would only have space for maybe 2 bags of groceries. What does everyone else do with their stroller? Any cool tricks to storing it?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I can't really offer you advice about the 'baby' thing and related accessories i/e stroller, diaper bag, etc. But I can offer this, I commonly tote multiple large dogs around in the E and they work it out. I would think they would work pretty much the same with the baby.

I have found the dog(s) will 'expand' to fill all available space - not unlike the bed - but that's a whole different story. Anyway, if we have one in the back seat, (s)he will take the whole dang thing. If there are two, they co-exist and both enjoy the seat. Same with three and four... Some seem to prefer the floor - regardless it works out and everyone seems to be happy.

I have found that using a harness and one of the 'LATCH' straps works very well in that it allows the dog(s) movement yet prevents 'excessive' movement in the event of 'rapid deceleration' i/e - no 'puppy projectile' which would be a bad thing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I flip up the un-used seat, harness the dogs to the floor anchor left by the flipped up seat, and provide a blanket, pillow, bed thingy. It works.

Soon there will be two babies, and two dogs, so that may have to change.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My dogs take the floor just fine. One prefers to curl up in the corner behind my seat as she is not really fond of car trips.

As for the stroller, ditch the land yacht and pick up the Maclaren Easy Traveller for the infant seat and when the little one is bigger switch to one of their standard umbrella strollers. We had the big mac daddy land yacht stroller that did everything but found it too big for it's own good. When we had our second child I found the easy traveller and have since loaned it out to three different friends after my son out grew it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions

bh241: Your reply was amusing yet profoundly true. I've transported up to 3 dogs in the back and they have worked it out...

Kung: I'll have to see how my dog likes it if I move one of the seats off the floor. Just curious... how do you store the stroller? My dog is very sensitive, so if the stroller is in the cargo area and he's on the floor, I'm afraid he'll be scared everytime the stroller moves. Do you secure the stroller somehow? Also, poor you! It sounds like once the second baby comes... you'll have to trade the Element for something else! =(

scorsone: ha ha ha... land yacht. Loved it. I saw the Graco Snug Rider (similar to what you suggested) and plan on buying that for the car. I'll keep the land yacht at home for walking the dog and baby around the neighborhood. Good advice on the umbrella stroller once the kid is older!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I put the stroller toward the tailgate. It's doesn't move too much.

Poor me? No. I am blessed, man. Two dogs, two babies. These are good problems to have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kung: Thanks!

Thanks re: the stroller positioning.

Oh no... I meant "poor you" on having to get rid of the E! Congrats on the second baby. I wish I had two dogs! Although, my hubby said that I could get a second dog after I give him a kid... so I guess I'll be getting my second dog soon! Ha!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts