Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone travel with a dog in a crate in their ELEMENT? I have a Vari Kennel which my boxer travels in for safety reasons, otherwise, she'd prefer to be on a seat as well. How do the crates fit? Do the rear seats have to be moved or would the crate fit sideways in the back? I noticed that there are no side mounted speakers nor subwoofer in the floor in the cargo area which is ideal for animal ear drums. I, however, enjoy my music loud.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
what are the dimensions of the crate you use.

I used to use a dog seat belt, which my dog learned quicklyhow to undo... he is a very relaxed dog when riding, so restraints of any kind are thankfully not needed and he more often then not will just laydown and sleep.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi all,

Well, the ASPCA always says to use a crate or something similar when you travel with a pet. So much for my disclaimer.

We have 3 dogs, and they like just laying in the back with the seats folded down, and a blanket over them.

We may down the road get a gate for the back, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I was a worry wart when I first adopted my pup.. and I used every safety option available.. He did not like crates, nor would they fit in my Integra, but the seat belt concept was a cool item.. it was a harness that I put on him then it latched to the seat belt in the car.. very neat idea.. who would think a dog could unlatch the seat belt.

I felt more at ease when i noticed that he was calm and would lay down during the ride. That is the main reason why the ASPCA suggests the crates.. cause many dogs will run around back and forth, hop on ya, and so forth.. so for both driver & pup protection is the recommendation there. For cats it is to calm them more than anything else.. and a pillow case works best for that (no matter how cruel that sounds it is better then a crate for cats).

So it is an individual thing and depends on the pets you have.. how they behave and how you drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This dog crate is about 22" wide by about 3' long. I believe that it is the large size. I guess I will just have to haul it into the dealership to see how it will fit in the cargo area. Venitilation and security of the crate is a concern. I understand that there are lots of places in the ELEMENT to ties things down. Really just wondering how much the rear seats would have to move, if at all, to fit in the dog crate. Good thing my dog can't read. She has no idea that other dogs have seatbelts and are allowed to travel on seats like we do!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
what your dog CAN'T read :D

Well with the seats flipped up it will definately fit in the back.. no problem. With both seats down it would not fit in the "cargo" space behind the back seats that space is small.. there are tie downs on the door pockets, the cargo pockets, and also there are 4 floor tie downs.. so you are very well covered there!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dogs ride in crates most of the time. I can fit the equivalent of 2 #300 vari kennels side by side in the back with the seats removed, plus a smaller crate is strapped on top of one lower crate. With some re-configuring I could even fit another #300 crate in front of those, I mean, there is *so* much room, and good tie-downs.

I have a good photo of this at home, I'll try to post it later or maybe get Gypsy to do it for me :)

It's personal choice, just like baby seats used to be. Any loose object can become a projectile missle in an accident.

Patty

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
wow reddawg you have quite a talent for getting those crates in there.. impressive i am dying to see the pix.. let me know if youneed help.. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have Gypsy's instructions in front of me and I will try to post a picture of my crate arrangement...It's a multi picture <4 in 1> so if you can't see it well enough let me know and I can send you one privately or post more here.

Patty (will be surprised if this works...if not Gypsy can you email me please?)

[/img]My Pictures\\Hummer\\Element Multi

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I am waiting to hear back from Reddawg.. so we should see it soon, this outta be cool, eh?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have an American Bulldog(a few!) and one large crate fits nicely in the back with no need to adjust the rear seats. If you travel often with your dog, you may want to check out this website: www.mats.com. They sell a pet barrier for 59.oo that you can put behind the backseats-no carrier needed! I don't have one yet, but have been thinking about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts