Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem with one of my Dobermans. My 3 year old girl has a very sensative stomach. She was fine until she was a little over a year old and we switched off puppy food. Now we get is soft stool and horrible gas. I have tried Science diet, califonia natural, canidae, eukinuba. I think I will try a good old purina brand now.

The Vet has said there is nothing wrong with her. I have had a full blood screen done on her too, everything is good. (she's a blood donor)

I have tried yogurt, pumpkin Vet recommended it but still not working out.

thanks for the help.
Joe

·
Registered
831 Posts
I do not know if this will help, but Solid Gold is a product my sister tells me is very good. She is a breeder. (Border Collies). She dose not feed it all the time but has told me it is good for dogs that are having digestion issues. It does cost more than most of your foods. May be worth trying.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/

·
Registered
348 Posts
Our vet switched our six-year old spaniel-terrier mix over to Innova for the very same reasons - you have to ween them off their regular food for a period of about two weeks, giving slightly less of the old food and more of the new. He's gone from eating four cups of Pedigree a day to two cups of Innova with no problems, weight loss and we've noticed a dramatic decrease in "bed frogs" ;-). He also gets a pinch of raw oatmeal in his food each night.

Just another approach!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I feed a grain free diet works real well for my guy, Grain is hard to digest.
Eagle pack make a good one.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Acid reflux??????

First, I recommend subscribing to http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/ because they are the best source I know of for information on dog food and holistic remedies in addition to traditional veterinary medicine. You can get WDJ online and/or hard copy. You can also download articles from back issues so that would be worthwhile expoloring.

My Samoyed, Gidget, ate 100% Solid Gold Hund 'n Flocken her first few years then went 50-50 with Wellness Fish & Potato. She's now on 100% Wellness, for my convenience. I highly recommend either.

You might also try mixing brown rice with her food. But I would continue experimenting with foods (doing the two week transition to each) until you find one that works.

Is your pup eating her food? Is she throwing up? Dry heaves?

When Gidget was about 2 years old I took her to the vet because she was refusing to eat breakfast until after she dry-heaved a couple times. The vet diagnosed acid reflux and prescribed the following treatment: 1) one nightly over-the-counter "original strength" Pepcid AC pill; 2) holding back a bit of her food until bedtime.

That worked. And I no longer have to do the Pepcid or holding back food though I generally give her a treat or a little kibble before bedtime.

Best of luck in resolving this.

:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmmm, what other food ie treats, table scraps is the dog getting? It could be the extras rather than the kibble. It could be something lacking too.
What does his breeder feed the adult dogs?

For gas, he could try adding digestive enzymes to the kibble. Some dogs really do better with a tablespoon of natural yoghurt added to their kibble (as long as they are not lactose intolerant).
A small handful of blueberries (you can get them frozen all year round) is good.

How much exercise is the dog getting? Lots of exercise will help move the gas and may stimulate a bowel movement that will lessen the gas in the house.

Loose poops can be a sensitivity not just an allergy. For my allergy prone dogs, just a small dog treat given to them by a fellow dog walker can give them loose poops.
I was giving my dogs a tablespoon of canned dog food mashed with their kibble. Turns out the ingredients changed, and a new ingredient was chicken liver. My dog that can't eat chicken started shaking her head and scratching and it took me a while to figure out it was the tiny amount of canned she was getting.

Normally I would suggest finding a simple kibble, one protein and one carb and stick to that for over 3 weeks to see how the dog handles it.. ...read the ingredients in the dog foods and choose ones that have quality ingredients.

Just as a note, Innova is considered one of the best dog foods, but I know many that cannot tolerate its richness. The right dog food is the one that is right for YOUR dog.

The more reading he can do the better. Everything good and bad exists on the internet, but he will see that certain things are common sense and he will be able to determine what he wants his dog to eat.

He could try cooking for the dog for a week to see if all the symptoms go away.
Look up (google "cooking for your dog") a really simple rice, meat and veg recipe and feed it for a week.
There are also packages at better pet food stores where you just add meat to the mix.

Read read read......

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grading_kibble

ingredients to avoid
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

What to look for
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=betterproducts

Other opinions on dog food
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/view_choosing-a-good-kibble-dry-dog-food.htm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just what I was looking for, Thank You!

Lots and lots of great information to research. It is so hard to know what would work for her. At least having a diverse group to get different ideas from is great help. I thank you all for your input.

Joe

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Following up on Wannabe's suggestion about cooking for a week, when my first Samoyed needed to be on a high-quality diet to deal with chronic active hepatitis, my vet and I worked out a good stir-fry. You can cook up three days worth at a time and refrigerate or cook an even bigger batch and freeze part of it. Buck loved it and it boosted her energy!

Safflower Oil (rich in omega acids and it's a high-temp cooking oil)
chicken breast
organic brown rice
carrots
squash, green beans and some other veggies were rotated

After stir-frying, chop the meat and veggies real small so they can't just pick out what they like best.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just as a note, Innova is considered one of the best dog foods, but I know many that cannot tolerate its richness. The right dog food is the one that is right for YOUR dog.
Tis true! Our dog Jager had to be "eased" into the Innova - the biggest adjustment with the actual amount of food. At a very active 55lbs, he's down to a mere two cups of dry food a day. In reality, the biggest adjustment had to come from US...not him. He's settled into the smaller portion size with no problems.

I can't say enough good things about Innova, but nothing beats mom's home cooking of brown rice and boiled chicken breast - a twice-a-week treat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news so far

I tried the Innova, I slowly switched them over and so far so good. Thanks for all your help everyone!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts