Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2005 E that I have hauled three (now, sadly two) Border Collies hither and yon in. It's currently full of plastic crates but I am rethinking the arrangements back there, mostly because I anticipate actually needing to put the back seat(s) back in at some point in the future.

I have a 50 lb Border Collie who is arthritic and needs space to move around in when crated in the car. The kennel that comes with the 2010 "dog friendly" package looks pretty much ideal for him (as long as I lift him over the tailgate) but it isn't available for sale separately, at least not according to the parts department at my local dealership.

Anyone know where I might get hold of one separately, and whether it would work in a 2005 E? I can't see why not, as the dimensions don't seem to have changed but am not sure about that.

Thanks in advance, Melanie (and Solo and Jett)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not a fan of the soft-sided carriers in vehicles. No protection for "flying dogs" during an accident.

Do a search for Pet Gear's "The Other Door Steel Crate"

Made for back of SUVs with a side "garage-door" opening. Has wheels & handle, - collapsible and can sit in the back collapsed flat and is hardy enough to put groceries, etc. on top of until needed again.

Sams Club has them for less than most retailers.

Pet Gear also has Gen II soft-sided crates - but really not safe transport in a vehicle for either the dog or the driver/passengers. A 50 pound dog coming over the back seat at 40 miles an hour in a crash, even wrapped in a nylon tent is still a 50 pound missile - not to mention the injuries to the dog bouncing off the car interior at speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi mkh,

Appreciate the thoughts, safety in accidents is exactly why I currently have plastic crates and not wire crates. I like the look of the crate you've recommended, but not the wire. I'm also not sure it's going to fit back there without leaving the back seats bolt upright. The largest plastic crate that will go back there is a 32" Vari-Kennel, and that's too small for my boy. Have you managed to get the large size into the back of your E?

I feel that a mesh crate, lashed down and on the floor behind the rear seats is going to be about as safe as I can get in this situation. (I don't like having a dog that close to the rear in case of getting rear-ended, but there aren't very many good ways around that with multiple dogs at any rate.) The odds that a dog would actually be propelled UP and then over the rear seats are pretty low. I am specifically looking for a solution that will allow me to use the back seats. Right now I have them out and my plastic crates are lashed down, but my smallest dog is 32 lbs so there's no way to leave one seat in and wedge a crate next to it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The odds that a dog would actually be propelled UP and then over the rear seats are pretty low.
You'd be surprised. Have a friend who installs flooring. Had a gallon can of adhesive, sitting in a cardboard box, in the back of his SUV. Guy in a box truck ran a red light, and he broadsided the truck at about 35 mph. Can of glue pinwheeled up over the back seat, and the front passenger seat (thankfully empty) - put a nice can-shaped imprint in the inside of the windshield, then flew BACK over the seats again and ended up back in the cardboard box, but upside down, and dented all to heck. :shock:

I haven't tried the solid crate in my E - have a friend who uses it in his Ford, which is a little bigger. One of the soft crates with straps might be the ticket then - strapped down well at the bottom, and top to the upper latch anchors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wew...

You'd be surprised. Have a friend who installs flooring. Had a gallon can of adhesive, sitting in a cardboard box, in the back of his SUV. Guy in a box truck ran a red light, and he broadsided the truck at about 35 mph. Can of glue pinwheeled up over the back seat, and the front passenger seat (thankfully empty) - put a nice can-shaped imprint in the inside of the windshield, then flew BACK over the seats again and ended up back in the cardboard box, but upside down, and dented all to heck. :shock:

I haven't tried the solid crate in my E - have a friend who uses it in his Ford, which is a little bigger. One of the soft crates with straps might be the ticket then - strapped down well at the bottom, and top to the upper latch anchors.
Sounds like a tasky thing to do..
Any other idea what kennel to choose?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Would it be possible to forgo the kennel entirely, and make use of the anchors in the back to attach a harness to? I know that doesn't work for everyone, but that's what I use. My dogs are *TERRIFIED* of crates, no matter where. The little one is OK at the vet if she can get a big one, but Sita will slobber and drool and whimper and whine and have .... well stomach upsets, no matter what size kennel she's in (even the bix 4x6 foot concrete run for the "big" dogs ... she's only 55lbs).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2005 E that I have hauled three (now, sadly two) Border Collies hither and yon in. It's currently full of plastic crates but I am rethinking the arrangements back there, mostly because I anticipate actually needing to put the back seat(s) back in at some point in the future.

I have a 50 lb Border Collie who is arthritic and needs space to move around in when crated in the car. The kennel that comes with the 2010 "dog friendly" package looks pretty much ideal for him (as long as I lift him over the tailgate) but it isn't available for sale separately, at least not according to the parts department at my local dealership.

Anyone know where I might get hold of one separately, and whether it would work in a 2005 E? I can't see why not, as the dimensions don't seem to have changed but am not sure about that.

Thanks in advance, Melanie (and Solo and Jett)
I have one for sale but im in New York and im assuming shipping would be quite much. its pretty much brand new, my dog was in it once. dealer gave it to me with the purchase of my E out of the showroom. if you would like to work something out PM me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Would it be possible to forgo the kennel entirely, and make use of the anchors in the back to attach a harness to? I know that doesn't work for everyone, but that's what I use. My dogs are *TERRIFIED* of crates, no matter where. The little one is OK at the vet if she can get a big one, but Sita will slobber and drool and whimper and whine and have .... well stomach upsets, no matter what size kennel she's in (even the bix 4x6 foot concrete run for the "big" dogs ... she's only 55lbs).
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing today. My dog has a low grade separation anxiety which mean travel is just easier if she can be closer to me. I bought this harness that you put the seat belt through, but she ends up twisting and contorting herself around. I started thinking of using it or something else to lock into those floor anchors. Not sure how safe it'd be in the case of an accident, but worth trying, I think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have two Pembroke Welsh Corgis that run in the 35-40 pound range. I just bought a Dog Friendly package and installed it.

One of the nice things in the Dog Friendly package are the rear seat covers. They protect the fabric and are washable. They also allow the use of the seat belts (of course), but also the LATCH anchors that are intended for child car seats.

We have two harness setups that we bought at the local pet store. They have heavy duty 2" wide strap harnesses that go around the dogs shoulder and mid-section. There is a big, heavy D-ring on the back, and a safety strap the clips in to the D-ring at the harness, and the other end has a latch assembly that fits in to the LATCH anchors. It safety strap is just long enough to allow the dog to get up and reposition himself on the seat, but not long enough to allow him to come off the seat.

Our Corgis have used that set up for several years. They like it because they can be on the seat near one of their humans, and can also see out windows, see the driver, etc. The latch assembly on the safety strap that attaches to the LATCH anchor will not fit the seat latch bars that are on the floor of the "E". But, I imagine it would not be hard to find some replacement strap/hook setups that would do the same thing as the safety strap, and that would allow use of the seat anchors in the floor.

There are a couple of different manufacturer's that offer the heavy harnesses that be used in conjunction with the LATCH anchors, and I prefer those to the ones that have the seat belt that threads through them.

And, after seeing and installing the the pet kennel (as part of the Dog Friendly package), I feel good about the safety it provides as well, as it is a lot heavier than just a mesh webbing.

Best Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts