Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently ordered a Element EX Navi in PMM and look forward to it's delivery. I work for American Honda at the Davenport parts center and we shipped a ton of the dog accessory kits last night to our Midwest dealers. I was talking to a co-worker and we were debating whether it will be successful or not. I tend to think it's overpriced. It's around $700 my cost so I'm guessing over a $1000 retail. I'll look it up when I go in tonight, didn't have time today. He thinks people are crazy for dogs and we will get people to buy the Element just for the dog emblems that come with the package. I'm curious what the folks here at the EOC think?

·
Registered
730 Posts
The stuff that comes in the package is cool and all but that price tag will keep me away from it. It will be cheaper in the long run to go to Wallie World and buy each piece separate.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I honestly think American Honda would see a larger return on investment if they piece milled this 'accessory package' out.

I agree that the 1k price point is above what most would be willing to pay, plus the simple truth is those that have the E for their dogs already have the majority of the needed items.

But, I'm certain there are thousands of us who are literally drooling at the thoughts of those 'badges' for the outside of the E. I would snag those right now this very second if they were available. But I don't have the need for the entire package - like most others I already have the stuff I need in that respect.

However, if Honda America was to make a set of mats for the older Es... yea I could see me snaggin' that too.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I honestly think American Honda would see a larger return on investment if they piece milled this 'accessory package' out.

I agree that the 1k price point is above what most would be willing to pay, plus the simple truth is those that have the E for their dogs already have the majority of the needed items.

But, I'm certain there are thousands of us who are literally drooling at the thoughts of those 'badges' for the outside of the E. I would snag those right now this very second if they were available. But I don't have the need for the entire package - like most others I already have the stuff I need in that respect.

However, if Honda America was to make a set of mats for the older Es... yea I could see me snaggin' that too.
What he said, I already have all the dog stuff I need but the badges.................................

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I might have bought the dog package with the Element. Am not going to buy it now.

I have my own dog paw stickers (actually full-size wolf paws).

Just offering the package got Honda a wealth of free media for the Element and enhanced its overall corporate image so it's probably already been a good investment.

I do appreciate the dog-friendly initiative, Honda!

:food004::food004:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Too much for me

I love the Element for my dogs, a Great Pyrenees and Cattle Dog mix. I appreciate the handiness of the car for hauling them around. But a grand is more than I would ever spend for that package, even new.
I have never really understood Honda's not letting you order a vehicle with accessories you want. You have to buy everything from dealer and have it installed. This really inflates the cost of the vehicle. I have always liked that you can order and spec build american cars. If they were just built like Hondas...

·
Registered
14 Posts
The problem with Element as Dogmobile

The problem with the Element as a Dogmobile is that the rear windows don't roll down.

Ask any dog, the most important thing about a car is that you can stick your head out the window and ram-charge the ol' olfactory system.

As for the package, most dogs can jump in, so the ramp is just excess. The kennel makes sure you never get to stick your nose out the window, The dog-bone floor mats might be fun, but we already have a leash, collar, etc.

http://automobiles.honda.com/element/dog-accessories.aspx

·
Registered
27 Posts
Most of the stuff is either unnecessary (like the ramp... come on!?!) or dog owners already own.

Plus the price will likely be too high - $1,000 you all are saying

But I would like the badge for the rear hatch. Although I normally debadge my cars, I would like the paw "Dog Friendly" logo. $10 sounds reasonable

·
Registered
213 Posts
you'd think they'll "have to" sell the badges separately. Think about collision shops/body shops.

If I had a dog-friendly element and I get rear ended...I'm going to get the tailgate fixed and would want to put the badges back on, right?

·
Registered
232 Posts
The problem with the Element as a Dogmobile is that the rear windows don't roll down.

Ask any dog, the most important thing about a car is that you can stick your head out the window and ram-charge the ol' olfactory system.
Agree, my poor collie has to stick his long nose forward from the back seat to get any air. Anybody ever try to remove the back windows?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dog package caught my attention

Okay, I'm a hopeless doglover but it would appear I am not alone at this site! I rescued a Great Pyrennes two years ago and his foster mom has an Element. First time I'd ever seen one. It's been on my mind ever since. When I read about the dog package my ears perked up.

I have five dogs (Maltese to Great Pyrennes in sizes) and the Element sounds very cool and a perfect match. I'm just starting out and trying to figure out which year and model I'd do best with, although the 2010s with dog accessories is very tempting. If you have any thoughts, please let me know.

I absolutely love the painted dog car!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm curious... do only the rear seats have that dog print seat cover? Honda didn't make any for the front seats, correct? I'm wondering, because I would still love to get a Honda stock set of seat covers, but since I have a 2008, through Honda my only option is to get rear ones. My E is a total dog car and I really need some darn seat covers!

Those pictures from the LA Auto Show are super cute, btw. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got mine Saturday!

My pups just took their first ride in their new '10 Polished Metal Metallic EX with the Dog Friendly package... and had no complaints!

My husband and I had an '03 Element - the first Element our dealership sold - but traded it on a Ridgeline after an accident last year. It did not take us long to miss the E, especially trying to transport our "kids" - a 110 lb. Newfoundland-mix and a 70 lb. Black Lab-mix.

When we saw the Dog Friendly package we didn't think twice about it - and picked up our new E on Saturday. We will not be using the kennel due to the size of our dogs, but we figure the ramp will be used when Cooper gets older because he is SO BIG. Also, the seat covers are AWESOME.

The best part about the whole thing - the dog bone floor mats!!! They make the whole car!

My only complaint? I wish the paw emblems were bigger. And every salesman we talked to agreed.

A little pricey? Sure. Did we blink an eye at it? Nope. In fact, we showed it to a breeder friend the day we picked it up and she is likely getting one too!!

In regards to the dogs needing windows - we believe that letting your dog hang out the window is dangerous for them and we do not allow it anyway. As long as they can see out, they are happy!!

On a side note - I am so far happy with the changes between the '03 and the '10 Elements. Except the useless center cooler...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yeah I want to see some pics too! Some real world action shots would be great!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was looking at my local dealer this morning at a 2010 dog friendly edition. The retail price was $1395.00. That's waaaay to rich for my blood! Honda should sell all the items piece meal thru the parts department. Some things are neat, the fan, the water dish. But I have no need for an aluminum ramp. The E is low enough for any dog to jump into.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are four kits on sale on Ebay for $850-$950. The lowest price I was given for the kit (installed) was about $930. That was at a dealer in a small city. Dealers in the larger city nearby wanted $1300 for the package installed.

I'm starting to think twice about getting the dog package myself. I love the dog bone floor mats, but the ramp and seat covers can be bought on their own for much less. I don't put my little guy in the way back, so while I like the idea of a built in bed, bowl, and fan, their location isn't right for us.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.