Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of owning a dog, the dog has finally peed in the house. and now how do we clean it ! If he does it again, he is going to the Hunan Wok !

·
Registered
39 Posts
It says something about me that I immediately click on a post labeled "Dog Pee"

For cleaning - a product named "Natures Miracle" or a cheaper similar product from Petsmart called Petzyme (they are "enzyme cleaner and de-oderizer" - contains enzymes that break down the pee and remove smells that will cause dog to re-pee on the same spot) It's not cheap - you buy a gallon and pour it on undiluted but it does the trick.

Next - take a newspaper and wack yourself over the head. That will help. If he's been reliable for years something must have changed.
Why did the dog pee?
- Change in habit (yours) - not getting out enough
- Change in environment - a strange dog in the house (causing him to mark territory)
- Health problem?
- Age (my dog is 16 and is pooping in the house - she can't help it nowadays, she's lost muscle and control of her rear. Still doesn't pee in the house though - it's a different sort of squatting and uses different muscles - which is amazing considering I got her when she was 1 1/2 and she wasn't housebroken then - hence my familiarity with Nature's Miracle and Petzyme.)

BTW, seeing your profile, I was living in Norman, Oklahoma when I adopted Maeve - she's a Sooner!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ditto the Natures Miracle. Just don't use any cleanser with ammonia in it. The smell is too close to that of urine and will cause the dog to mark again. I would also echo the health issue, maybe age or something else. They make doggie diapers as well if its going to be an ongoing issue.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ditto the Natures Miracle. Just don't use any cleanser with ammonia in it. The smell is too close to that of urine and will cause the dog to mark again. I would also echo the health issue, maybe age or something else. They make doggie diapers as well if its going to be an ongoing issue.
Double ditto the Natures Miracle. We have two (stubborn) French Bulldogs. One thinks she will melt if she tries to go out in the rain to pee - so will hold it, and the other prone to bladder infections which make her go more frequently, so both used to have the occasional "accident" at night in the house. We put a Pup-Head dog potty in a closet, and both dogs knew right away what it was for - their emergency use. No more accidents in the house. :)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Triple ditto on Natures Miracle. For what it's worth, it will eliminate the odors of other 'waste products' from the Element. :roll: Trust me on that one, you really don't want any more information about it. :twisted:

Also ditto the reasons, it's highly unusual for a dog to arbitrarily change behavior without a reason. I really think the first response to this thread nails it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
We have a Shi Tzu and when she was a puppy we potty trained her to go outside with the use of a potty pad. Each time she used it the closer to the door the pad went until it was eventually outside. No matter how much we walked her as a pup she would find somewhere in the house to go pee before we tried this. Anyways, what I'm getting at is sometimes when we are gone all day, we put this potty pad down just in case she has to go before we get back. Works like a charm every time! You can get disposable ones or re-washable. Not sure if it will work for you but hey, I believe in you CAN teach old dogs new tricks. :roll:

Oh and ditto on the cleaner mentioned above. :-D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dealer Installed Odor!

Since we're on the subject, my new/used E came seriously odoriferous! I think they must have doused it in something intended to mask odors, but the odor when I open the door is something like a diaper pail deodorizer. It is really repulsive. Anyone familiar with this trick? I was convinced they hid something under the seat, but can't find anything. When it warms up I want to clean it out inside- it looks clean, but I can't take that masking scent. I bought lavender at the tea shop and put it in the overhead cubby. Hasn't warmed up enough to help.

Other than that I adore my new E! And I've been a long time fan of Nature's Miracle too. I have bad dogs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
1) for in home carpet cleaning, if you don't want to use Nature's Miracle. you can get a cleaner called CAPTURE. It can be found in Lowe's/Home Depot. Its all I use for all three of my dogs accidents (getting sick or house training the puppies)

2) as for the stinky car. Go to a carpet cleaning company (stanley steamer, or a local guy may be better) and ask to borrow/rent an Ozone machine. You'll only need it for an hour or so. Hell ask if they'll charge you like $20 or so to leave your car in the parking lot while the machine runs. You'll get rid of any smell almost instantly. Ozone is what is used for removing smoke odors in cars or hotel rooms. The trick is to make sure the car then gets aired out for a while KEEP ALL WINDOWS OPEN while driving home, too.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
http://www.planeturine.com/

Thankfully Gidget has spared my Element a urine problem. But several years ago when my first Samoyed was ailing and suffered incontinence, a friend recommended and I became a fan of products from Planet Urine.

Yup. I notice on their website that they are about much more than carpet so you might find something there for the Element.

And I'm chuckling at a memory of one of the great laughs of my life. I worked at a place I could not have packages sent to so a friend had agreed to accept packages for me at her office.

She'd been on travel for several days and I drove to her office in my convertible one afternoon to pick up some stuff. She comes marching out of the building with this rather large box emblazoned on all sides with huge blaring letters screaming out to all passerby on her floor:

P L A N E T - U R I N E

That box sat on her desk for a week.

Maybe you had to be there. Eight years later and I'm still laughing out loud.

Need to get more of those boxes, great for gift wrapping.

:razz:

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
After years of owning a dog, the dog has finally peed in the house. and now how do we clean it ! If he does it again, he is going to the Hunan Wok !
Say it ain't so Joe! It wasn't Joe was it?
-g

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have a new pup and this is an hourly occurrence for me. Arghhhhh. I am using Woolite PET+Oxygen Stain & Odor Remover and it works well and appears to be color safe on the carpet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts