Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a folding dog ramp for my E. My dog was diagnosed at the young age of 3 with hip displaysia and she is already having a really hard time with it.m So, I bought the E knowing how much lower to the ground it was than a regular SUV. I thought it would be so easy for her to hop in the sides. Well, its higher than I thought. So, now I'd like to get a folding pet ramp so she can get in and out of the back without hurting herself. (She is also rather clumsy for a GSD!)

So if anyone can provide links/pictures to folding ramps that you have successfully used for your larger dogs, it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have small dogs so I need the ramp. I really like this one. It's by Solvit. Very easy to set up and take down. It adjusts so works for the both the side and back. Here it is set up for Harley during the EOC Point Blanco campout. It fits behind the front seat too.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
We bought one from Petco (or was it Petsmart??) anyway, it was pricey, in the $120.00 range, and heavy. My biggest complaint about it is that it takes up a lot of room, but when we need it, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Originally I bought it for one of our boys, Dexter, but also use it for the rescue dogs. It's nothing for a 175 pound saint to use, and it does make it easier for the ones with 'problems' to get in and out of the E easier.

here's a link to the one I'm talking about.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We bought one from Petco (or was it Petsmart??) anyway, it was pricey, in the $120.00 range, and heavy. My biggest complaint about it is that it takes up a lot of room, but when we need it, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Originally I bought it for one of our boys, Dexter, but also use it for the rescue dogs. It's nothing for a 175 pound saint to use, and it does make it easier for the ones with 'problems' to get in and out of the E easier.

here's a link to the one I'm talking about.
Thank you for the link. How heavy are you talking? I have a bad arm (clearly we are a family of gimps) and have to be careful about how much I pick up. Are we talking 20 lbs? I looked on the site but I didn't see a weight to it. The good thing is that if it holds your St. Bernards, it should hold my 82 lb kid.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
How heavy are you talking?... The good thing is that if it holds your St. Bernards, it should hold my 82 lb kid.
It will hold up your guy without issue. Actually it would hold up two of your guys... :rolleyes:

I couldn't find the weight of the thing online so I went out to the garage and weighed the thing... it's 25 pounds. :???:

It's a good ramp - especially for the larger breed dogs, but it is a bear to deal with. You might want to look at one of the lighter versions available. Surely someone on here is using something a tad lighter.

However, with the guys I'm dealing with (up to about 200 pounds) this is the only one I could find that would handle a dog that size... well, small cows and horses too I guess...

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This one weighs 10 lbs:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+12+19154&pcatid=19154

And this one weighs 6 lbs for the half ramp, 13 lbs for the full ramp, and 20 lbs for the xl ramp:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+12+17842&pcatid=17842

Can y'all tell I love the Foster Smith website?? :)
Thanks for the link. Do you know how well these work on an E?

After browsing around, I think my credit card company is going to love this site too!

·
Registered
169 Posts
No idea, actually. I don't own one, my dog (luckily) is young and healthy enough to jump in the back of my Amigo (don't have an E). I'm considering purchasing one, but really don't need it because Sita is only 45lbs anyway, and very easy to pick up.

I buy my Advantix and Tri-Heart Plus from them, much cheaper than buying it through the vet's office. A 6 month box of Advantix from Foster Smith is the same price as a 4 month box from the vet. And the Tri-Heart Plus is about half the cost of the vet's generic heartworm prevention. *AND* they guarantee the heartworm meds.

Lots of neat stuff on that site.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the same ramp that amya has. It is sturdy enough to support my large dogs who range in weight from 70-90 lbs, but is light enough to pick up easily. I think the box said it weighs 13 lbs and can support up to 400. I got it at petsmart for about $130. Pricey, but my 9 year old dog has been having trouble jumping in the car, so it's worth it.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755186

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Your dogs can't jump? I had a 3# long hair chihuahua that had no problem jumping in and out of the E. Same goes for my brother's chocolate lab.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your dogs can't jump? I had a 3# long hair chihuahua that had no problem jumping in and out of the E. Same goes for my brother's chocolate lab.
Previously, yes, my dog could jump. However, she has been diagnosed with hip displaysia and her activity is limited. Although she is a large german shepherd, she now needs assistance getting up and down off of furniture, the car, etc. So, no, my dog can't jump. This is why I'm looking for a ramp.

·
Registered
357 Posts
With me having dachshunds .. it's not that they can't jump but they are prone to back problems. So I do not want them to jump.
Amy

·
Registered
941 Posts
When Taylor All 180lb lost most of the use of her rear legs I got her to put her front paws in an I helped the back Not too hard on my back she was OK. I found using the back door was better then to rear gate.
She never did learn to use a ramp. Even on or off the boat, By the way Mastiffs do not swim, they sink.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up getting one from Amazon that is very light weight and folds up. Its too steep to use in the back so I use it on the side and Lucy uses it very easily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts