Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I totally forgot my bikes were in the roof rack when I came to a low entry. Needless to say the bikes were totaled, but the braces attached to the roof were bent as well. I was able to bend them back into place, but the rack doesn't sit correctly now.
Is there somewhere to purchase the braces?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Is that testament to the strength of the Yakima brackets?

Long ago an EOC member (Tuscan) drove his heavily loaded Element around the country. At one point one or more the roof mounts broke loose (he had a Thule rack and box), and had to have them rewelded. That's the only report I can think of similar damage.

I'd take the Yakima racks and mounts off, and take the car to a body shop or competent welder. They probably can't buy a replacement part from Honda, but should be able to fabricate a copy and weld it in place. Hopefully repair will not require lowering the headliner - that could add a lot to the labor costs.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
ouch...

Oh that makes me sad to look at! I think everyone who carries bikes up top has done this at one point or another...or they WILL at some point or another. I did it in my Subaru several years ago...ripped the bike clean off the roof and bent the cross bar of my LoadWarrior cargo basket. The car, luckily, was fine, but it was a very expensive lesson. Good luck with the repairs...I feel for you!

Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. You are correct about the welding. I looked and saw the connection points where the weld come off.
I spent a long night on the couch last night after crushing $6k worth of carbon bikes. My wife was not pleased.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
this seems to happen more than you would think, i have a friend with a subaru wrx wagon and went into a low entry and it totaled is hatch and destroyed the rack and bike!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I feel for you Dude!!

When my son screws up and does "something stupid" I tend to get my relief the way my father and his father did, by lumping him up. When I have a "lapse of common sense" there is only one thing that will do to get my spirits lifted......Knobb Creek bourbon on the rocks!!!:twisted:

It doesn't solve the problem but it does ease the pain and put the whole thing in perspective!!!:razz:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
When my son screws up and does "something stupid" I tend to get my relief the way my father and his father did, by lumping him up. When I have a "lapse of common sense" there is only one thing that will do to get my spirits lifted......Knobb Creek bourbon on the rocks!!!:twisted:

It doesn't solve the problem but it does ease the pain and put the whole thing in perspective!!!:razz:
Head on over to youtube and search for the video of phatcher doing a great imitation of a wingwalker, strapped on top of their E with his wife at the controls. The last thing you can see before it heads out of the screen is him screaming something that sounds like "Not the bushes! Not the bushes!"

Poor guy. Has he posted anything else since then?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I roll with this so I don't have that problem:) View attachment 83032
Only problem then is you're at the mercy of every dofus on the road behind you. I'm more nervous with my bike out back. Been rear ended by vehicles 3 times and last time it was a cop that totaled my 06 E. That's why my bike is happiest IN the E. :razz:

When the Mrs. still had a wagon I used a roof rack often. I'd kick the re-cycle bin close to the garage door so I'd be forced to get out & move it before even the front wheels made it in the garage. I know too many people that have used the garage to remove their bikes. The most recent one was a local bike shop owner who usually bikes in but was too tired and drove in with his bike up top. He was still groggy and pulled into the covered parking by the shop before hearing that horrific sound...eeeeeeeeeeee.:shock:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The very reason I purchased a hitch mounted bike rack. Forgetting the items mounted on the roof happens a lot more than you'd think. Did it myself with a kayak and fortunately was barely moving and didn't destroy either the kayak or the rack it was mounted on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 yr later

I hadn't been on the site for a while, so I thought I would give my 1 year update:
Insurance paid for the bikes so my wife was happy. She'd been wanting a new one and this was a good thing.

I ended up bending the front anchors back into place as only the middle welding came undone. The front and rear welds appear to be sturdy. I don't carry anything heavier than the bikes, so I'm ok for now. At some point I really need to get the center section welded just for peace of mind.

For Goosler, here's the pic that had me sleeping on the couch. My wife's bike split in half.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
My advice to you.....drink heavily!!

I hate doing "dumb things", and god knows I've done my fair share. Sorry about E and the bikes. The sound of things smashing must have been agonizing.... Glad things worked out in the end.

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Man you got lucky there...

Got an uncle that does auto body work and saw a Jetta with a similar situation... wound up really messin the roof up pretty bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts