Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would mention to anyone wanting or needing to replace the dome light assembly on their Element, the fixture for model years 03' to 08' WILL WORK in 09' to 11'. The dealership lists them as different OEM part numbers, but the difference is (minor) the size of the bulb it takes. Everything else lines up and operates the same. As I wanted a brighter Dome light, I opted for a 03'-09' replacement in my 11'....worked out rather well (44mm instead of 31.75mm)

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,691 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

What usually goes wrong when there is no power to the dome light housing?

I tested the stock type bulb off the car and it works fine. But I get no light regardless of the switch position.

However, the light in the back by the rear hatch works OK.

Please help an old guy out here! (I even had trouble removing the lens cover without destroying it!)

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting this.

I tested the stock type bulb off the car and it works fine. But I get no light regardless of the switch position.

Please help an old guy out here! (I even had trouble removing the lens cover without destroying it!)

That's a damn good question. All my research indicates the dome light (or map lights)
are not fused. I never bothered to check voltage from the molex plug...wish I could have been more help:confused: Depending on your model year, be sure to check the On/Door/off switch next to the MAP lights to see if its NOT in the "off" position. My 2011 has this switch, but my 2005 does not..

Reactions: te1966

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

If you have power at the connector behind the dome light, the problem could be the switch. I've had to disassemble my dome lights to fix the switches. I guess the heat from the incandescent bulbs melts the plastic a bit over time so that the metal parts of the switch don't make contact.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,691 Posts
Thanks zippersnapper and Alloysnke for the info! It will be awhile before I can get back to it; I'm up to my ears in health care hassles right now. : - (

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Just thought I would mention to anyone wanting or needing to replace the dome light assembly on their Element, the fixture for model years 03' to 08' WILL WORK in 09' to 11'. The dealership lists them as different OEM part numbers, but the difference is (minor) the size of the bulb it takes. Everything else lines up and operates the same. As I wanted a brighter Dome light, I opted for a 03'-09' replacement in my 11'....worked out rather well (44mm instead of 31.75mm) View attachment 207027
Would you mind providing us some links to what you bought? I just bought and returned some LED bulbs from Amazon that were supposed to work and didn't.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I did this by installing equivalent sized LED bulbs to the original incandescent ones in the same housing. Much brighter light and much lower power draw. And you can choose the “color temperature” of the bulbs; I have one at high temp and one at low temp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If you have power at the connector behind the dome light, the problem could be the switch. I've had to disassemble my dome lights to fix the switches. I guess the heat from the incandescent bulbs melts the plastic a bit over time so that the metal parts of the switch don't make contact.
Would you mind providing us some links to what you bought? I just bought and returned some LED bulbs from Amazon that were supposed to work and didn't.

Keep in mind, LED lights are polarity sensitive. If they don't light up at first, turn em' around 180....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What LED bulbs are you using? This seems like a fantastic little upgrade.

Reactions: HAL_69000

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Un-Retouched interior photo, 10:30pm....

Reactions: TheFunBox

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,026 Posts
Un-Retouched interior photo, 10:30pm.... View attachment 207070
This would go well with some footwell lighting

·
Registered
156 Posts

Thanks! So for an '08 I would want to select the 44mm bulbs?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2004 EX AT Fiji Blue
45 Posts

Just installed these exact lights in my 04. (3175 map lights and 578 dome and tail)

I found I had to file the corners to get them into the housing. It ended up working best for me to file one side’s corners as close as possible and leave the other side alone. Here’s a comparison picture. The filed one pictured is filed both ends and sits too loosely in the housing just FYI.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice post! I upgraded mine to LEDs couple of months ago. I wanted the "warm white" option since I hate the bluish white ones. Purchased this pack of 6 from Mr. Bezos for $12.99. Works great!
I’ve been looking to upgrade from the dull bulbs in the cab and rear hatch area to brighter LED bulbs...are the ones you recommend suitable with rewiring? Simply pop out and pop in?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts