Honda Element Owners Club banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did mine a while ago while camping in the middle of nowhere. Took B & A pics with the Nikon setting locked as to NOT have the sensors/settings auto-adjust. LED's are the square 6 style from "Superbrightleds" Notice how much brighter even with me forgetting to tour on the map lights in the A pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just installed these exact lights in my 04. (3175 map lights and 578 dome and tail)

I found I had to file the corners to get them into the housing. It ended up working best for me to file one side’s corners as close as possible and leave the other side alone. Here’s a comparison picture. The filed one pictured is filed both ends and sits too loosely in the housing just FYI. View attachment 207125
Outstanding.....

·
Registered
15 Posts

Keep in mind, LED lights are polarity sensitive. If they don't light up at first, turn em' around 180....
I appreciate the links for the LEDs. One is for a 31mm the other for a 44mm. Which one do I want to order??, and like the other guy said...Will I have to "file down" the connectors??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I appreciate the links for the LEDs. One is for a 31mm the other for a 44mm. Which one do I want to order??, and like the other guy said...Will I have to "file down" the connectors??

Which one you will need to order, will depend on your year Element (see my original post). As for the 44mm bulb, I simply filed the bulb holder clips on the inside leading edge using a Dremel (made them a tad bit thinner) so subsequent light changes would be quick & easy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
FYI I noticed from other listings that the 578 bulb is usually advertised as a couple mm shorter (41 or 42). In fact, I was not able to find a 578 on the big A that was advertised as 44mm long. I'll update this thread when I get mine to confirm that. Maybe no filing is necessary.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Element LX 4WD
22 Posts
I’ve been looking to upgrade from the dull bulbs in the cab and rear hatch area to brighter LED bulbs...are the ones you recommend suitable with rewiring? Simply pop out and pop in?
The ones above are plug and play.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Element LX 4WD
22 Posts
Damn! Are those a drop fit in there without any other housing or conversion? I have a 2008 :O
Yes, I did not have to do any re-wiring on my 11' E - just plug and play. I am pretty sure your 08' has the same bulb housing as mine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So width on the ones I got is dead on but the terminals are 2mm thinner in diameter than my old bulbs (10mm old vs 8 mm new)! I guess I can just squeeze them together more but it seems odd. I gave mine a good bit of squeezing yesterday while waiting on someone to meet me at my car and it wasn't enough.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,691 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

What usually goes wrong when there is no power to the dome light housing?

I tested the stock type bulb off the car and it works fine. But I get no light regardless of the switch position.

However, the light in the back by the rear hatch works OK.

Please help an old guy out here! (I even had trouble removing the lens cover without destroying it!)

Thanks in advance! :)
UPDATE!

Well, I never got a chance to try to fix my dome light.

But, it started working again all by itself! I have no idea why!

But I'm not complaining! I love it when my Element fixes itself!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just installed these exact lights in my 04. (3175 map lights and 578 dome and tail)

I found I had to file the corners to get them into the housing. It ended up working best for me to file one side’s corners as close as possible and leave the other side alone. Here’s a comparison picture. The filed one pictured is filed both ends and sits too loosely in the housing just FYI. View attachment 207125
Sorry it's been awhile since the post: other people indicated how "easy" it was. Like you, I found with this style, filing of the board was required. I thought I was doing something wrong until I read you said they mounted loosely. I appreciate the picture.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX AT Polished Metal Metallic, 2003 EX AT Galapagos Green Metallic
103 Posts

·
Registered
2004 EX AT Fiji Blue
45 Posts
Sorry it's been awhile since the post: other people indicated how "easy" it was. Like you, I found with this style, filing of the board was required. I thought I was doing something wrong until I read you said they mounted loosely. I appreciate the picture.
Happy to hear it helped! I installed some more on a friend's E and filing just one side worked well for me.

I used these on my 2010 dome, hatch and map lights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JRH8916/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these on my 2003 dome and rear hatch light - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQDJC1F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2003 uses the same map lights as the 2010.
These are very bright. 😎
This design looks much better with the LED sitting above the connectors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently did this on both of my Elements.

I bought a set of 4 LEDs ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088YY8FT1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I tried fitting the LEDS with a foil or other means. They rotated in the fixture and wouldn’t stay lit properly.

I ended up breaking the original bulbs, removing the glass and then fitting the metal ends over the new LED ends.

This oriented the LEDs properly as the Honda light has an unusual configuration for holding the bulbs, by keeping the OE bulb features the new LEDs fit perfectly and don’t end up rotating in the fixture.

The LEDs I bought are the right amount of light but the color at 6000K is awful. I will be changing them out for 3000-4000K color to be more livable.

Great upgrade in any case.

Update, I bought some warm white LEDs and installed them and am much happier with the result.

You can see the ‘ends’ of the OE bulbs which the new LED ends fit into. I used a piece of aluminum foil around the end cap of the new LED which creates an interference fit inside the OE bulb end caps.

Doing it this way ensure the LEDs get good contact, are oriented as desired and have no secondary movement in the housing.

Perfect fit.

The ‘cold’ LED bulb has the blue housing the ‘warm‘ LED is the lower one in the pic. Nice and bright.

Updated LEDs are: Amazon.com: LUYED 2 X 570 Lumens Super Bright 3014 48-EX Chipsets 569 578 211-2 212-2 LED Bulbs Used for Dome Light,Warm White: Automotive

LUYED 2 X 570 Lumens Super Bright 3014 48-EX Chipsets 569 578 211-2 212-2 LED Bulbs Used for Dome Light,Warm White

Reactions: Alloysnake
21 - 37 of 37 Posts