Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 EX dome light (controlled by door - not the map light) doesn't work. Strangely, my SO was pressing her feet up against the roof above the passenger seat (don't ask:oops:) and the dome light suddenly came on! So yes, it appears it's wiring related (says Capt. Obvious).

I'm thinking it might be flat cabling but I cannot find where the electrics are coming from.

My question: how in the heck do I remove the headliner to check? Shop manual says nothing about headliner removal. Got all the trim off around the headliner but it appears to be glued to metal (maybe not but it sure looks like it). Don't want to start ripping and having to replace the headliner. Since there's no space in between the headliner and the roof I can't just fish a wire up there.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
so, you removed the inside windshield pillar covers, the overhead console and the sun visors?
i think that's all i had to remove in order to fish a USB cable up to the console.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would think

so, you removed the inside windshield pillar covers, the overhead console and the sun visors?
i think that's all i had to remove in order to fish a USB cable up to the console.
the headliner would fall down but it’s like it’s adhered to the roof with structural adhesive. Couldn’t sneak a f**t in there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Needed to fix the light so

I started peeling the headliner off and it does appear to have some kind of adhesive attaching the headliner to the roof. My guess is the previous owner must have had some issue.

I did find the problem: there was a break in the wiring to the dome light. Fixed and the light is working.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I started peeling the headliner off and it does appear to have some kind of adhesive attaching the headliner to the roof. My guess is the previous owner must have had some issue.

I did find the problem: there was a break in the wiring to the dome light. Fixed and the light is working.
Good find!

Feet up on the roof... One can only imagine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I've got 12V, but no ground for my dome light switch. This post reads as if I'm going to find the open in the ground to the dome light switch in the wiring harness above the passenger seat. But maybe I'll ignore that and just kludge a ground from the screw post for the dome switch here. Should work, right?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Before you go to too much trouble with that, run the switch back and forth a lot and see if you get any flickers. One thing Honda has trouble with is using dissimilar metals in contacts and wires (ground wires especially) and switch contacts. The dome light switch was supposed to be protected by a thick coating of grease but the glop they used in a lot of them dried out after a few years and just made things worse. Luckily, the switch slide itself can be carefully popped out, cleaned up, and popped back in without damage. If in doubt, try jumpering across the switch with a continuity tester.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You know that the light is ground switched, right? If you provide a ground, it will always be on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts