Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas here? I'm thinking it's a fuse but I've never worked with fuses before so I'm not sure.

The dome light (front) stopped working - I took the plastic cover off and saw that the bulb was fine. Does this mean it's the fuse? Or could it be the whole dome light assembly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Can you answer a few of questions?

• does it work with the switch on the light?
  • does the light in the rear work?
  • are you sure the light bulb is good?
- visual inspection is not a foolproof method of testing electrical / electronic parts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the light doesn't work with the switch... and the rear light does work. i'm not sure that the bulb is good - i just did a visual check. the filament (i think that's what its called) looked just like the rear so i figured it was okay. maybe i should just buy a new one and check it out!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
My guess is the bulb is bad. The front and rear lights (and the spots in the EX for that matter) all get their power from the same source (fuse #3 in the under dash fuse / relay box) if any of the lights are working the fuse is good.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
Sounds like a another good candidate for a burnout resistant LED replacement.

I just ordered mine after the second dome light bulbs burned out. At $4 a pop for incandescent bulbs at PepBoys it's easy to cost justify a more durable fix. I wonder if jump-starting my E a few weeks ago had anything to do with the lamp dying?

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
the light doesn't work with the switch... and the rear light does work. i'm not sure that the bulb is good - i just did a visual check. the filament (i think that's what its called) looked just like the rear so i figured it was okay. maybe i should just buy a new one and check it out!
Why dont you take the front bulb and put it in the rear, if it lights up, then you know its good, if it doesn't, then its probably bad. To make sure, take the rear bulb and put it in the front, and if it works, there you go!!

LEDs are a good choice for replacement. They will last forever and a day.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AztecRol - lol thanks for the obvious advice! I don't know what I didn't think of that! But I tried it... and it worked. It was just the stupid bulb. I feel like a dufus! Thanks everyone...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
AztecRol - lol thanks for the obvious advice! I don't know what I didn't think of that! But I tried it... and it worked. It was just the stupid bulb. I feel like a dufus! Thanks everyone...
people who occasionally feel like a dufus, are generally good at explaining their new found knowledge to novices, in a non-threatening manner. so, we'll count on you to provide the answer the next time this question comes up. then your feeling like an expert will cancel any memories of feeling like a dufus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dome light question

So, I bought my Element last Friday, and on the first night, I realized that the front dome light wasnt working. It does come on manually, but not automatically.

After $400 of diagnostic, the dealer said that the module needs to be replaced and that it would cost $1000 (they would pay all but $500).

Does anyone know if this price is standard? Or, is there some sort of a workaround or Mod that would allow me to have an automatic light when I open the door?
A $1400 dome light seems redonkulous.

Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
If (big IF) the multiplex module is actually what is wrong with your vehicle, and you don't want to replace the multiplex control module, just bypass the multiplex control for the front dome lamp circuit.

Tie the green/red wire from connector O terminal 7 to the green wire at connector Q terminal 3. If you also want the dome lamp to illuminate when the passenger front door is opened, tie the Grey/Black wire from connector Q terminal 4 to the other wires.

·
Registered
178 Posts
A junkyard pull could be your friend. How old is the car? Paying more than 20-30 bucks for a dome light is just too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Whipeout, it is a 2006....the domelight itself is fine, but maybe I can find a used module.

Honda Tech, are there any drawbacks to doing it that way? Does anything else run off of that module? Sorry to be a bother, but I can't find anything online, and at this point, I really dont trust the dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice thing about a junkyard pull is if you blunder anything up it's not your car. You will then have perfect knowledge of how to replace the module correctly ;). Good luck bro.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Honda Tech, are there any drawbacks to doing it that way?
No delay. Door open = light ON, door closed = light OFF.

If you ask bh241 nicely, he might be willing to tell you how to build your own capaciter circuit to retain the illumination delay feature...

Does anything else run off of that module?
Lots of things are controlled through the multiplex control module. Just curious if that is actually the problem. It sure shouldn't have taken over 4 hours of labor to diagnose such a simple fault.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How do I remove the dome light lens?

Hi all,

I brought my new 2010 Element home on Saturday. My boyfriend and I went out to dinner to celebrate, and when we got back in the E to drive home, the dome light didn't turn on. I tried switching between the "door" and "on" setting and neither worked. The light just doesn't come on at all.

The tailgate light DOES work like it's supposed to, and the map lights work fine too. I checked the fuses and all are in good shape and installed correctly.

I'd like to pop the lens off the dome light and make sure the bulb is seated/not broken, but I don't see a good/easy way to do it, and the owner's manual doesn't say how to change it.

I'm not sure I want to hack it open with a screwdriver when the E is just two days old. Is there an easy/gentle way to get the lens off?

Is this covered under warranty? I live two miles from a Honda dealership, but I don't like/trust them. I guess I'd take it there as a last resort. The dealership I bought it from is about 100 miles away and not worth the trip for a little light.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Um, actually it didn't just "pop right off." I worked at it for about 5 minutes with two different screwdrivers and all I did was scratch up the plastic a bit. I had to quit because I don't want the dealership to accuse me of breaking it when they see the screwdriver marks.

It's just too hard to get leverage because at a certain point the screwdriver contacts the headliner and then you have nowhere left to go.

·
Registered
480 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts