Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI EVERYONE!

I was driving home today and saw another "E" on the road. A blue one. It got off the same exit as me and when it pulled next to me it had a lot of dings in the doors. It was obvious he purchased it a while ago. I would like to prevent this. I got one ding already before the car was a week old. I want to get mouldings but I don't want them to look stupid either.

Any recommendations appreciated... :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
COOL but I was thinking of something of lesser firepower. :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm finding that the doors ding easily too. Within the past week I got 2 door dings by my own friends and family. And I thought that strangers would be my worst enemy!! I was in a little fender bender a few weeks ago and the stratches on the plastic bumper don't bother me as much as the 2 dings in my door. In the 10 years that I had my other car (Mercury Tracer) I don't remember it getting dinged that easily.
Oh well, I still love my E, dings and all!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know I just wish there was a way to protect it. My 88 accord had no dings on it. A lot of pits but that's it, no dents or dings. This sucks. I might as well make my "E" into t a bumper car.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hate the idea of getting my first ding but I know it's gonna happen. Those doors just scream out, DING ME DING ME ! :cry:
I have been lucky so far but I also have a Jeep Wrangler I use for places that I know are considered Dingland. Jeep's never get dinged because of the way they are shaped. I have had mine for 13 years and parked everywhere imaginable and not one ding EVER. I know this won't be the case for my Element. I just don't think there is a thing we can do about it.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I parallel park all day long in the city and so I constantly worry over my door getting dented or scratched. Now I'm wondering why the rocker trim was listed by the dealership as a cosmetic accessory. It would at least prevent me from dinging my door against planter boxes, high curbs, and close walls. I'm going to go back and have them installed. I think honda would sell this option more if they advertised it differently.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rocker panel trim is just for the bottom of the door I thought, well not even the door.

It's funny the new CRV has an accessory that you can buy that covers the whole lower part of the car below the moulding. Why didn't they make this for the "E"? It makes more sense. Anyway thanks for the input so far. I just ordered a sheet of that x-pel light guard for my fogs. I got a chip in one of them and want to get them protected right away. I didn't know they were glass. Geez they still make lights out of glass?

Keep the inputs coming and thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good idea to go with something on the sides. You may want to consider the thicker x-pel (or look at shieldpro.com who also supply headlight thickness in sheets and provide a much more informative application illustration).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't know that they made thicker sheets? I haven't bought the sheet yet, is it on the site? Also is shieldpro a better brand?

·
Registered
15 Posts
All companies seem to use the same 3M product but xpel appears to be the group with the computer that determines the patterns. I've learned the thicker 40 mil was a previous offering and is replaced by 20 mil now. I'm not sure the heavy stuff is even okay for paint (actually it's for headlights) or how much protection any thickness (you can always add layers) would offer in dent resistance. Your CR-V example may be the way to go.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Wow. In looking at it, the E's big slab doors are really vulnerable to getting dinged.

One outfit, http://www.dingguard.com, has magnetic bumpers as a possible solution. It looks like more trouble that it's worth - are you going to put them on and take 'em off every time you park? I wouldn't - that would get old inside of a week. But it might be useful for situations like company and apartment parking lots, where you're going to leave it unattended for hours at a time.

There has to be a stick-on solution that doesn't look dorky. Hmm... :|

I haven't seen it in person... doesn't the "rocker panel trim" stick out enough to catch most door strikes?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope, it's for the lower part of the door to avoid hitting the curb. I might just have to result to rubber black truck moudlings. They might not look bad it I do it right. I'll look into it when I can and let everyone know once I get the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:D I went to the local autoparts store and got some 5/8 wide 3M black stick on body molding. I ran two strips on the doors, one at the body line i.e. oor handle height and the second about a foot below it. It looks like it belongs there. I haven't got any dings yet but it's only been about three weeks. I feel sorry for you Cali guys and those tight parking spots! Good luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes please post a pic, I would love to see how you applied them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts