Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trevor,

Could you shed some light on the JDM R/H inside door handle? 72125-SCV-J01ZA is made domestically, but is labeled "for export only". World-wide stock now below 80 units. JDM Element exported to Japan 2003-2005. Assume JDM door handle not currently in production, please confirm. Any ideas why Honda Corp so anal about not giving us this handle, or giving the r/h door a power lock switch?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That's lame, there's got to be a way to get this w/o spending a fortune importing it from Japan. :(

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have zero insight into Honda's thinking with parts, generally it just makes my head hurt.
One would tend to think that it would be good for them to sell the part but Honda doesn't subscribe to that line of thinking. The only answer we get from them is "because".

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Having come here from recent MINI Cooper ownership, and encountered similar issues with accessories available in the UK and EU, but not in the US, in most cases it came down to not having been installed and "tested" in the US model given to DOT for manufacturer certification for US sales, so was not allowed to be sold in the US per DOT regs. MINI had a nice pkg shelf that fit in place of a lower solid dash panel between steering wheel and driver's door. Was an option that could be installed in the UK and Canada, but was not on the MINI the DOT tested and certified for sale in the US - so the pkg shelf could not be sold in the US by dealers. :x

And to "re-certify" with the DOT costing several $100K, not an option for MINI for a $30 pkg shelf add on

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've only heard of safety related items (bumpers, lights, airbags, windshields, brake hoses, tires, etc.) needing to be DOT certified. I may be wrong but I can't remember seeing any of the accessories marked with anything about DOT. I definately haven't done any research into it, but I would think that Honda would be taking a bath on some of their low volume accessories if it cost that much to certify them. I can see how the part mentioned for the Mini might require a crash test since it is in an area that might be impacted in a crash by the driver.

As for the vendor of the part, those are also closely held secrets by Honda. We've tried to find out in the past who the manufacture of some of the items were so that we could try to get spare parts and the such and Honda's response was that they don't give out that information.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I would think that Honda would be taking a bath on some of their low volume accessories if it cost that much to certify them.
Anything submitted with the vehicle gets certified along with the vehicle, no additional charge - each item isn't a separate cert. But if you want to change/add an option in the vehicle later (what happened with the MINI parcel shelf - half a year into the model cycle) - you would have to start over at square one with the DOT, and get the whole vehicle re-certified, with the new item, for it to be legal to sell the "new" option in the US. And I think your right, it has to be safety/crash/function related, but I'd think a door handle would fit into that category.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
...but that handle is already DOT-certified, for the driver's side. Why would it need special testing to put the same part on the passenger's side? My guess is that Honda omitted the passenger's side switch for the same reason it omitted a glove-box light (cheap), variable wiper delay (basically free), and padded door armrests: the target demographic. Too many creature comforts spoil the rough-and-ready aesthetic. It's too bad they didn't rethink the passenger's door lock with the advent of the SC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was in the same boat wanting the door handle but not believing that Honda wouldn't sell them here.

I made a lot of phone calls and spoke to a lot of reps for Honda and they all told me the same thing, it is "Honda's Policy" to not sell the item in America.

The part is specifically made for the Japaneses model of the element and that is that. Ironically the parts are made in Ohio. In the end I worked with J-garage.com to get one of my own. They were very helpful. So in the end my door handle flew from Ohio to Japan just to fly back to Massachusetts, lots of miles on that little guy.

Passenger Door Handle Mod

·
Registered
549 Posts
I was in the same boat wanting the door handle but not believing that Honda wouldn't sell them here.

I made a lot of phone calls and spoke to a lot of reps for Honda and they all told me the same thing, it is "Honda's Policy" to not sell the item in America.

The part is specifically made for the Japaneses model of the element and that is that. Ironically the parts are made in Ohio. In the end I worked with J-garage.com to get one of my own. They were very helpful. So in the end my door handle flew from Ohio to Japan just to fly back to Massachusetts, lots of miles on that little guy.

Passenger Door Handle Mod
so how much did it cost you for the door handle parts???

290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Group Buy thread started 08OCT2008 with an order date of 30OCT2008. Handles arrived in Canada on 26NOV2008. Original price quoted was $36USD. Final price was $36USD. Both quoted prices exclude shipping to individuals in US which was quoted as $4USD. Of course the switch, screws, connector, terminals, wire, and labor are additional.

Apparently, Yosi was only able to get 17 pieces. Close to that time frame, I was told that there were fewer than 80 pieces in stock worldwide, with no new production. I don't believe there will be any more Group Buys for the handle. Honda Corp is wise to us, and they don't want us to hack their trucks.

Anyhow, cutting the hole was easy. Mounting the switch is becoming troublesome. I'm still seeking a simple, inexpensive, and easily obtainable materials solution. Sure, I could have done a one-off a long time ago. But I'm trying to made it easy for you guys. At least now we have the connectors and pigtails and terminals to do it right. OK Honda, are you listening?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi James,

So here is the break for my purchase.
I requested the cheaper shipping rate also, but it still only took about 6 days to arrive.

> 72125-SCV-J01ZB (Grey) 2600yen
> Domestic/Shipping costs : 2550yen
> 5% of commission : 257yen
> TOTAL : 5407yen -> 5150yen

So in dollars the total was $56.77, not a bad deal.
I am a car guy so even though I didn't need it...I just really wanted to install this part.

It looks great. :)

290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi James,

So here is the break for my purchase.
I requested the cheaper shipping rate also, but it still only took about 6 days to arrive.

> 72125-SCV-J01ZB (Grey) 2600yen
> Domestic/Shipping costs : 2550yen
> 5% of commission : 257yen
> TOTAL : 5407yen -> 5150yen

So in dollars the total was $56.77, not a bad deal.
$56.77 for ONLY the handle? Twice the retail price is not a bad deal? My handle is $35,* you will receive the handle, the switch, the connector, and pigtails.....DELIVERED. *The cost is $55. When you sent back your clean, non-faded, working original handle, I will refund $20.*

This is my prototype. It can only get better.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Very nice work!!! I assume the off-white goop is some kind of silicone adhesive? How did you fasten the bolts to the main body without drilling all the way through? Are there features that allow anchoring??

I'll take one of them when they become available, - actually I can just give you mine and drive around for a while without the official door handle.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,491 Posts
I'm glad I did my GB when I did (take a look at the link in my sig for the thread), especially if worldwide stock is dwindling. My handle, with S&H (GB total) worked out to be around $34 each, then the switch ($15) on top of that. I'm glad to see more are frustrated with the big "H", maybe they will do something about it :???::rolleyes:
Hope so, this is a simple mod, and should have been there from the beginning..... :mad::confused::)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts