Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-
My wife and I just got an '06 Element a week and a half ago. Today we noticed that the door open light was on, and the overhead light (in the middle position) was on while we were driving. We pulled over, opened all the doors, including the hatch, and shut them solidly, but the light in the dashboard and the overhead remained. Now I notice that the auto door lock on the drivers side will not work, and neither will the key fob auto lock, as the car still thinks a door is open.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
high in the driver kickpanel there is a green plug that is taped to another harness with blue tape. this is the factory security connector. in this connector there will be a green wire pin 3, a gray/black wire pin 2, and a red wire pin 1, these are the driver, passenger and rear door pins in that order. these should show a ground when the door is onpen and only when the door is open for the respective door. if they are showing ground when the door is closed you know that that switch is the one giving you the probelem. this is best tested with a digital multimeter. the red wire goes to both of the rear side doors and the rear hatch so if this is the one giving you problems it may be a little more difficult to determine which one. you can also try pulling back the rubber on the pin switches in the door and backing the screw out a little and then retightening it to se if it is just not making contact like it should but this is generally only the case when the light isnt comming on when it should, not what you are experienceing with it staying on all the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check Tailgate wiring

This happened to us too. It turned out that something got knocked loose on our tailgate. We brought to the dealership and they fixed lickedy split.

·
Registered
102 Posts
high in the driver kickpanel there is a green plug that is taped to another harness with blue tape. this is the factory security connector. in this connector there will be a green wire pin 3, a gray/black wire pin 2, and a red wire pin 1, these are the driver, passenger and rear door pins in that order. these should show a ground when the door is onpen and only when the door is open for the respective door. if they are showing ground when the door is closed you know that that switch is the one giving you the probelem. this is best tested with a digital multimeter. the red wire goes to both of the rear side doors and the rear hatch so if this is the one giving you problems it may be a little more difficult to determine which one. you can also try pulling back the rubber on the pin switches in the door and backing the screw out a little and then retightening it to se if it is just not making contact like it should but this is generally only the case when the light isnt comming on when it should, not what you are experienceing with it staying on all the time.
I'm having the same issue and has already pulled and tested both switches on the rear doors and they seem to be fine.

How many total wires are in the plug you are talking about? I found the blue tape just stuck to the firewall so I guess has been removed and I want to find the right plug. I found what I think is the plug but it has 4 wires.
thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts