Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's door open monitor light is on.
The door is tightly closed (I've opened and shut it several times), and I've checked the rubber button which, I think, controls the sensor.
Before I drop money at the dealer for what may be nothing, I'd appreciate suggestions on diagnosing and fixing the problem.
Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Moderator Eh?
12,162 Posts
Those switches are notorious for dying. They are the same one used on the Civics and when i was still with Honda i used to sell 5 or 6 a week if not more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Switch installation?

Thanks to all for the comments, part number, etc.
Next question: how to install the thing. Is it a simple unscrew and replace?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
The switch is held in with a single phillips screw under the little round flap thing.
There's a connector on the back of it with a single wire connected to it.

Disconnect that and with a multimeter set for ohms, on the switch, go between the big metal mounting area where the screw goes through and the connector pin. It should read closed without the button pushed. Push the button in and it should open up.

If you don't have a multimeter, get yourself a paperclip, staple, piece of wire and shove it into the connector and ground it out in the mounting screw hole. The light on your dash should go off as if the door were closed. If that's the case, get a new switch. If not, well, you've got a problem in the wiring leading up to the switch that's going to require you pull off the door panel and deeper troubleshooting will be in your future.

But yeah, my bet is on that switch. Do the cheapie grounding out method.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts