Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, my door locks stopped working when using the key Fob. I used it to lock the E when going into a store and came out and would not unlock. I opened the door with the key and used the unlock switch to unlock my wifes door,once inside I used the switch to lock the doors and all locked EXCEPT the drivers door. I can manually push it down,but when I use the unlock button,all unlock,except mine. I lock the "E" with the key and all doors will lock. I changed the battery in the remote after this happened BTW. Any Ideas would be greatly welcomed

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
If the inside door switch locks all but the driver's door, and the fob unlocks all but the driver's door (click it a second time to be sure; it should unlock the passenger's and hatch), it sounds like you have a bad lock motor, or wiring, or linkage, on the driver's side. Get inside and listen carefully as you press the fob button once. Does the door sound like it's trying to unlock? If so, it could be that the linkage came undone—no big deal to fix.

Search phrase "door lock" returned this thread, among others. Also see this one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Dan,The Fob will not unlock or lock any of the doors,once I lock the door from the outside with my key all doors lock and if I push the Fob lock button the car will honk for the alarm signal. The wife has her Toaster at work,from what I can remember it sounds like it tries to lock and unlock and nothing happens at all to any door,but why does all the doors lock/unlock with the interior switch except for the drivers door??

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
I'd start over and try the following:

With all the doors unlocked and closed, press the "lock" button on the fob. See if the passenger's door has locked.

With all the doors locked, press the "unlock" button on the fob twice (press, 1-sec. pause, press again). Note whether the lights flash for each press. See if the passenger's door has unlocked.

If the fob operates the passenger's door lock, you know you have a bad actuator or disconnected linkage on the driver's side. It it doesn't, I'm out of ideas. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had something similar happen about a year ago. Turns out a quarter had fallen on the floor and slid down by the passenger side rear door bottom latch plate. This was preventing the door from closing completely. It looked closed, but was not quite closed enough to activate the sensor that tells the computer that all the doors are closed properly and it is OK to lock them. I could do it manually, but not with the key fob. You might check to see if something is keeping one of your rear doors from closing all the way.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
ALso had someting similar occur in my 99 Accord as it aged. Turned out to be the driver door lock actuator was going bad. The general system cues off of this lock as a "master". It it won't operate with fob, no others will either. But it can still be manually executed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats is what is happening Dan,from what I can tell. Is the door panel a pain to take off?? I will look through the posts or do a search for any helpful hints. thanks to all and I hope I can fix this annoying problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car will lock except for the drivers door,and nothing will unlock with the key fob unless the drivers lock is up (unlocked)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have the same exact issue with my 03. I changed the battery in the remote but it looks like i'm gonna have to change the lock actuator on the driver's side. Good thing it's under warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts