Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering getting an electric cooler; that should make the Element/dorm room conversion almost complete!

Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...&productId=4807085&parent_category_rn=5760738

We're going to go on a road trip (3600 miles round-trip) at the end of May. a few concerns: noise from the cooler's refrigeration unit, as well as heat. Any one try this or have any other thoughts?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just don't keep sushi in there! Seriously, the ideal temperature for food storage is 38 degrees F; the unit's spec says that it'll keep food at 40 degrees below the ambient temperature, so the car's temperature would have to be 78 constantly, which probably won't happen if you're driving somewhere warm! If it's a few degrees hotter, it won't kill ya, but it's something to keep in mind if you've got steaks that you've got to trasport 8 hours across a 112 degree desert! (Packing them in ice would help, if that's what you need to do, though.)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey thats a really cool unit but it's kinda pricey at $140 w/ the 12v adapter. I saw some other models (smaller but will work) on ebay and just searching around on the net. Let me know if you find a decent sized one around 50-75.

·
Registered
338 Posts
And I just read on another post that the outlets in the E only work with the Engine running. So, if you stop at a Diner on a trip - 1 hour in a 120 degree car - Buy a portable toilet too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is NO WAY something that small can cool down to -40 degrees at reasonable ambient temperatures. Especially not with just 12v of power. Especially not for $120. Especially not with a plastic door. ...then again, if it can, I'm sure there'd be quite a few nuclear scientists who would like to get their hands on that technology! :mrgreen:

The product description is almost definitely wrong or intentionally misleading; I'm sure it only cools to ambient temp -40 degrees, like the other fridge.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I looked around, and combined with my REI dividend and their 10% off sale (when using the dividend), it came to about $78.... so i got it. The motor is pretty quiet and it doesn't seem to throw off much heat at all, but that was just a quick test in the parking lot. I'll let you know how this works out in a few weeks when we head out for a "test" road trip (gearing up for the 3600 mile one)....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts