Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the great info on this site, I am about to order a Hidden Hitch and wiring kit to install on my '09. The hitch will first be used to transport a rental log splitter and possibly a smallish 4x6 trailer down the road. I haven't found much discussion on the boards regarding drawbars and how much rise/drop. Any suggestions for someone who has never owned a vehicle with a hitch on it? Driven a few vehicles towing trailers before but they were already hooked up ready to go.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I haven't found much discussion on the boards regarding drawbars and how much rise/drop. Any suggestions for someone who has never owned a vehicle with a hitch on it?
It depends on your trailer. Any suggestion we make would be a guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see. I guess that leads me to the next question. If I were to show up at a rental place to pick up one of these http://www.nickellrental.com/product.php?id=17125 would they have a variety of drawbar/ballmounts to go with the item depending on the vehicle being driven or would the renter be expected to have a few different options with them? Or, with an item such as that which would be towed fairly close to the vehicle and the majority of the weight being distributed over the axle is it not as critical?

Thanks, as I said, newbie. When I called a few rental places to check rates the question from the stores was if my hitch had a 2" ball.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I see. I guess that leads me to the next question. If I were to show up at a rental place to pick up one of these http://www.nickellrental.com/product.php?id=17125 would they have a variety of drawbar/ballmounts to go with the item depending on the vehicle being driven or would the renter be expected to have a few different options with them? Or, with an item such as that which would be towed fairly close to the vehicle and the majority of the weight being distributed over the axle is it not as critical?

Thanks, as I said, newbie. When I called a few rental places to check rates the question from the stores was if my hitch had a 2" ball.
i would guess that log splitter is light enough that it wouldnt matter if you are off on the height. usually the rental places wont supply the ball. they expect you to have the ball for your car. they may rent you a ball set up or sell you a set up. atleast that is how it is by me.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Are you thinking about the 2" Hidden, or the 1 1/4"? The drawbar may already come with the 1 1/4". It's usually separate on a 2", which is used on wider mix of vehicle and trailer heights.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
If this is your first attempt at towing, then a short trailer will give you fits, learning to back it in. The shorter the trailer the more difficult it is to control.

It will likely not be visible to you from the drivers seat. That will compound the problem. Just take your time learning. Don't get frustrated with it.

Dom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts