Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a place to put this and if this isn't the right spot, I hope the mods will please move it.
I just got this in an e-mail from Honda yesterday and thought it was pretty interesting.
http://www.hondaresearch.com/element-d/intro.html

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sweet isn't it!!!

This program was discontinued.

I never got to see it here in Cali but others were able to take a ride...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
It was at the national meet last year. I remember something about JuliE getting the chance to ride in it...

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
That is pretty cool that there is an Element competing in Formula D racing. :D The Element-D is a pretty sweet vehicle. I hope I have an opportunity to see it in person someday.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
As do I.. I looks like an awesome piece of machinery...:cool:
Eddie (Platinum21) and I got to ride in it. James Robinson, the creator and driver of the Element D was giving us the break down on it that Friday at East Liberty ( I have photos of the Element D posted on my Cardomain site found here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3117803/8 ) when we had the tailgate party in front of the plant. I asked him if he was going to be giving rides and he said no but when our conversation got into my occupation, he said he would extend me the courtesy. I was most happy and Eddie was there at the time and I asked if he could take a trip in it as well since he's a Honda tech. The ride was unbelievable! I mean from start to finish James kept the BF Goodrich's smokin'! He had a trailer full of tires and it seemed as though he was only to give 2, no more than 3 rides on a rear set of tires, and that would consist of about 2 laps around the test track. It was pretty impressive to say the least! Honda really treated us like special people for the 2 days we visited their facility. I really wanted the EOC to go back there again this year but as luck would have it, this rear brought about a new set of circumstances for club meets and situation for the EOC in general.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Eddie (Platinum21) and I got to ride in it. James Robinson, the creator and driver of the Element D was giving us the break down on it that Friday at East Liberty ( I have photos of the Element D posted on my Cardomain site found here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3117803/8 ) when we had the tailgate party in front of the plant. I asked him if he was going to be giving rides and he said no but when our conversation got into my occupation, he said he would extend me the courtesy. I was most happy and Eddie was there at the time and I asked if he could take a trip in it as well since he's a Honda tech. The ride was unbelievable! I mean from start to finish James kept the BF Goodrich's smokin'! He had a trailer full of tires and it seemed as though he was only to give 2, no more than 3 rides on a rear set of tires, and that would consist of about 2 laps around the test track. It was pretty impressive to say the least! Honda really treated us like special people for the 2 days we visited their facility. I really wanted the EOC to go back there again this year but as luck would have it, this rear brought about a new set of circumstances for club meets and situation for the EOC in general.
Amen! It was amazing and also I was hoping to get back there soon. The plant is awesome.

It was great 2 days!!!!

·
1,049 Posts
Honda has always been great to us!!! We can't thank them enough!!!

Rides were limited to event staff only. IE Moderators. :)

So other than Chozn4service and Platinum21 only Event Staff got the nod to ride.

It was a sweet ride though....85+MPH sideways is AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never did get the point of drifting. Must be old and and the thought of having to pay for the tires, but it looks like it should be fun.

Although, it does remind me of cutting doughnuts in the slush in the high school parking lot at night way back when, so they'd freeze and bounce the daylights out of the buses coming in the next morning. Now that was fun too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I got to see this car up close and personal at the 08 st pete gran prix. here are some pics, the owner is an incredibly nice guy, and the E was way cool

Here are some pics. I had the opportunity to drive marco andretti through the parade and the President of American Honda around the track in my S2000. The weekend was freaking phenomenal.
Here are some pics

·
Registered
318 Posts
Afew more pics.......

·
1,049 Posts
Serj22 said:
IS the Element D RWD converted? Or are they bad enough dudes to do the E-brake shift drifing on a FWD?

Ummm...no it is a RWD. Real drifting cars don't have FWD. It has a power train from the Acura TL. It is a turbo charged V6 manual trans and a solid rear axle.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I saw a British dude who could drift a fwd... it was amazing...
back before there was "Drifting", i used to drift my '70 Subaru wagon around freeway onramps and such. it was FWD and had OEM tires (145?) on the rears and something monstrous (185?) on the fronts. i had replaced the original 1.1L engine w/ a 1.4L from a later year and had moved the driver's seat back to accommodate my legs. this meant that w/ a look over my left shoulder i'd be looking out the rear seat window. of course, the rear seat was removed. interesting front brakes, they were inboard drums, big aluminum drums right next to the transaxle. looked a lot like what you'd see in a Porsche 356. that really reduced the unsprung weight in the front.
unfortunately, that Subie was totaled while parked in my driveway, by some drunk in a pickup who took out 3 vehicles in addition to his truck. the Subie was the only 1 capable of moving under it's own power afterwards, even though it had been hit on all 4 corners and spun around/across a brick lined planter by the collection of vehicles the pickup was pushing. of course, it didn't get moved 'til after i rendered first aid to the drunk driver's friend who had been riding in the back of the pickup because he was too drunk (potentially sick) to ride up front.
'twas an interesting night/morning as i had been sound asleep before all the crashing and scraping began.

anyway, to set it up, i'd brake very late for the turn and then use the throttle to modulate the radius. more throttle increased the radius, less introduced more rotation.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I figured out the individual discing system on my Cr-v, but I doubt it safe to slip it sideways unless I lower it a bit and add in some extra cross-members in spots to reduce roll-over tension in the body. When did Subaru ever make something that wasn't 4wd? I thought everything they ever made was 4wd. I must have been lied to. My father sometimes thinks he knows everything... I hate drunk drivers... I really do, it sounds like you got the worst of it, along with your neighbors, or whoever elses cars those were. Sometimes people get stupid and then have stupid ideas, like driving. That's one of the reasons why I'm in this certain career path: people like that.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
continuing the drift.........................//

Warning! Thread Drift!

All Subarus were FWD until 1974 when they introduced a 4WD station wagon. The entire line was not 4WD until the mid 80's.
not quite true. the first Subarus in this country were RWD, and sort of looked like a miniature VW bug, but w/ 4 doors. therefore it actually looked more like a miniature Renault, but let's not go there. as i recall the engine was 360cc. and i think they came in bright colors, probably to help them from getting squished. after all, this was the '60s, when muscle cars were king.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts