Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called and they said it would dirrectly mount to the existing factory mounting points. Is this true or will this hitch require drilling into the frame to instal it? Thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a 2007 EX AWD if it matters, but thanks for the quick reply!!! They wanted something like $175 to install it... much higher then the $22 I saw on one post... anyway, looks like I'll be doing this over the weekend. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
715 Posts
It's a real easy job. Just 2 bolts on each side and a hook bolt in the middle. 30 minutes or less.

$175 might be fair for the hitch and installation, but not for just the installation.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a 2005 and I had to use a Dremel to enlarge the holes that were already in the frame to allow the bolt heads to pass through. I did this per the instructions that came with the hitch and I can confirm it was required to make the bolts fit. There wasn't a ton of material to be removed, spent 4-5 minutes on each frame rail to get it just right without making them larger than they needed to be.

That was the only modification to my E required to make the hitch fit. I can't speak to others years.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Installing Hitch

Instead of grinding the holes bigger, you can use a large screwdriver to bend the metal around the frame holes (one side in, the other side out) to allow the bolt heads to pass through.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I have a 2005 and I had to use a Dremel to enlarge the holes that were already in the frame to allow the bolt heads to pass through. I did this per the instructions that came with the hitch and I can confirm it was required to make the bolts fit. There wasn't a ton of material to be removed, spent 4-5 minutes on each frame rail to get it just right without making them larger than they needed to be.

That was the only modification to my E required to make the hitch fit. I can't speak to others years.
Uhaul installed my hitch and there was no drilling or enlarging of holes. They did have trouble getting it to fit between the frame members and had to use some serious pressure to get it in. There seems to be a lot of variation between the different Uhaul dealers and prices because they charged me very little - about $30 if I can remember right, and it was all gloopy/sloppy outside so definitely worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Instead of grinding the holes bigger, you can use a large screwdriver to bend the metal around the frame holes (one side in, the other side out) to allow the bolt heads to pass through.
I used the handle of my 18" breaker bar. It just fit into the holes that were already there and by pulling on the head of the breaker bar so that it went from horizontal to about 45º the hole was made oval so that the bolts went right in.:)

From looking at how others have installed the later versions of the Uhaul/Valley/Curt/Hidden hitch it seems that the design has changed so that you may not have to enlarge the holes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I picked it up today and I'm definately going to have to do something. The bolt heads fit, but there are flat metal pieces that are supposed to go on the inside of the frame rail... no way they are fitting through the hole provided. I guess I'll be getting out the dremel.

How critical are those flat rectangle "washers"?

The install was definately $175 which is more than I paid for the hitch. For $20 - $30 it would have been a no brainer to have them do it, but at $175... I'm now just hoping for a drama free installation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The flat washers are NEEDED as they hold the bolt head and keep it from turning as you tighten the nut. Also they give more support to the bolt pressing against the frame.
U

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Well I picked it up today and I'm definately going to have to do something. The bolt heads fit, but there are flat metal pieces that are supposed to go on the inside of the frame rail... no way they are fitting through the hole provided. I guess I'll be getting out the dremel.

How critical are those flat rectangle "washers"?

The install was definately $175 which is more than I paid for the hitch. For $20 - $30 it would have been a no brainer to have them do it, but at $175... I'm now just hoping for a drama free installation.
That price is insane! I've never seen a post in here for as much as half of that. Maybe they're including the wiring harness in the installation price?

·
Registered
188 Posts
trunk pan holes ?

did you have to drill holes in the trunk pan to attach the hold down , and if using a platform carrier , the flex can distort / bend the spare wheel / trunk pan area if overloaded ? I was warned not to use this style ... but if the bolts on the frame rails are tight / should be almost no flex in the hitch to cause that ....

·
Registered
715 Posts
There is a steel loop under the trunk pan that the hook in the center part of the hitch attaches to.
The blue part in the photo below is part of the vehicle that the center hook attaches to. Just look under the car and you can easily see it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts