June/July weekend availability for drive-in meet

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned this in another thread and I wanted to post to see if there was additional interest so I can firm up a date that works for as many people as possible.

I am planning to host a meet at Haar's Drive-In in Dillsburg, PA; it is located 5 miles south of the turnpike on Rt 15 on the way to Gettysburg.

http://www.haars.com/Drivein.htm

We are planning to go this weekend for their spring openning and thought I could talk to the owners. I don't know if they have their movie schedule planned out far in advance, but I'll find out.

TangoBill, fcz1, gisele, and csm have stated they were interested, so I expect to hear from all of you :) (I will track you down :lol:)

Hey, if anybody is free this weekend and you want to see a Dr Seuss movie, then maybe we could do an impromptu meet this weekend. I know RocketDog will be in the area, but for some reason his idea on going out was not with my two toddlers at a kid's movie; I even said he could babysit, but he hasn't responded :confused:

~T

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I've mentioned this in another thread and I wanted to post to see if there was additional interest so I can firm up a date that works for as many people as possible.

I am planning to host a meet at Haar's Drive-In in Dillsburg, PA; it is located 5 miles south of the turnpike on Rt 15 on the way to Gettysburg.

We are planning to go this weekend for their spring openning and thought I could talk to the owners. I don't know if they have their movie schedule planned out far in advance, but I'll find out.

TangoBill, fcz1, gisele, and csm have stated they were interested, so I expect to hear from all of you :) (I will track you down :lol:)

Hey, if anybody is free this weekend and you want to see a Dr Seuss movie, then maybe we could do an impromptu meet this weekend. I know RocketDog will be in the area, but for some reason his idea on going out was not with my two toddlers at a kid's movie; I even said he could babysit, but he hasn't responded :confused:

~T
I would be happy to meet your tribe for lunch or dinner if you like. I'm rather surprised you would entrust your kids to me...particularly after reading my posts here :twisted:

Seriously, I adore kids. I have two WONDERFUL teenagers. Spotman has met them, ask him. :grin:

I'll be staying in Mechanicsburg.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I would be happy to meet your tribe for lunch or dinner if you like. I'm rather surprised you would entrust your kids to me...particularly after reading my posts here :twisted:

Seriously, I adore kids. I have two WONDERFUL teenagers. Spotman has met them, ask him. :grin:

I'll be staying in Mechanicsburg.
Now IM scared for my kids here in Cali :-o

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now IM scared for my kids here in Cali :-o
I know, tribalelement, I've been warned before! :p

------------------------------------------

RD- We used to have a pit-mix rescue, but he probably would have bit you (or pooped on you- depending on which personality he wanted to show). We sadly had to put him down in '04, but he and all his neurotic ways will always be with us!

Now we just have 2 other little monsters and they can stink just as much as the dog did :rolleyes:

I think I still may have your number from the Philly meet, otherwise I'll pm you.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Me too, depends on the date. I can't this weekend though, I have plans all day Saturday and Sunday. Plus Saturday night is Flyers/Canadiens game 2.

nice avatar...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that the Flyers are scheduled for Saturday, I'm sure we will be going to the drive-in on Friday if the weather permits.

I'll talk to the owners to see if I can get any movie schedules or specific time to schedule this and post back.

~T

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am a member of The Eastern Museum Of Motor Racing which is located about 15 minutes fronm the drive in,there is a fairgrounds located at the museum with a large pavilion.It is in a grove of trees with a trout stream going through it.We could us it as a base camp for a meet and then drive to the drive in at night.Camping would probably be allowed.We camp there all summer as members of the museum.This weekend is too close but if anyone is interested in the months ahead let me know.I would need to see what dates suits everyone then make sure the fairgrounds is available.There are no showers but there are porta pots.LETS GET THIS THING GOING!!! P.S,Campfires are allowed there.
Barry

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm interested - just depends on the date.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the weather doesn't look promising for tonight, but we are going to try anyway.

If anyone happens to be around or wants to take a trip, feel free to contact me. I think we are taking the E, but we may end up switching to the Odyssey at the last minute just for more room for the kids to run around in the back if it rains.

Krate Bike- sounds like a great idea; hopefully we can coordinate everything.

I'll post more info tomorrow . . . everyone have a great weekend :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, All!

Sorry for the delay in posting- not having much luck crossing paths with the owner!

Friday and Saturday rained so we didn't go to the drive-ins. We got the van packed up Sunday evening and drove out only to find they are closed on Sundays. They are usually open, but possibly not until school is out :confused:; maybe I should have checked the website before getting the kids excited?

I've called a few times this week, but the owner is always out; I left a message, but not sure if it will be returned. Understand they are country folk (please, nobody take offense!) and I find they just do things a little slower. It's what makes the whole setting so charming!

I was told they usually only know the movies the week before (sometimes days!), so I don't think we will be able to plan for a specific movie.

I was hoping for sometime in May, figuring before everyone has their summer adventures planned. But it is now May and I'm out the last 2 weekends of the month, so maybe June will be better?

Feel free to PM me if there is a specific date that might work for you.

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Finally talked to one of the drive-in owners today

:) Good news: we can do this anytime

:-( Bad news: we can't book a specific date and entrance is 1st come 1st served

How this affects us . . .

The gates open at 6:30pm and the first movie is at dusk (approx 9pm); we are certainly permitted to park together, but they will not allow "holding" of spots. I tried to explain that there were some people who were coming from a distance and she said if they sell out there is nothing she can do. My recommendation would be to show up as close to 6:30pm as possible- gives us more time anyway!

I even stated that I worked there about 10 years ago and dropped some names (new owners are part of the same family), but to no avail. I guess it's just not that customer oriented anymore :confused:

Movies are only booked the week prior, so there is no way to know what movie will be showing. I know it's last minute, but this weekend (6/13,14,15) is Kung Fu Panda and Drill Bit Taylor. The weather is predicted to be great this Friday and Sunday and we will probably take the kids to the 1st movie. If you have the time feel free to join us, otherwise we'll plan for another weekend after Nationals.

Here's the link again for all the info:

Let me know what dates work if you are still interested, preferably June or July. This may be difficult to plan this in advance due to the nature of the meet; the movie usually plays except in extreme weather, but I'm sure we don't want to be stuck inside our cars!

·
Registered
816 Posts
"Kung Fu Panda" at the Drive-in!

Leaving Hampton Roads to check out a bike in NOVA, am tempted to keep on going to Harrisburg. Not much can top "Kung Fu Panda" at the drive-in. He is so e-ple.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts