Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really annoying loud rattle coming from the top of my drivers side door. It is coming from the area where the doors meet. You hear it over most bumps like something is loose. There is no problem with the passenger side. I have poked around and can't nail down what it is. I don't have a roof rack so I don't think it is anything from the outside. It really sounds like it is coming from the B pillar area.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
CK

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also have this problem. I think its coming from the plastic panel on top the rear door (where to lock mechanism is). If I pull on it, it rocks back and forth more freely than the passenger side.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote:98d7959356="StLouisPenguin"]I don't have this problem, but if I were you I would head straight for the dealer![/quote:98d7959356]

I have 1200 miles to go before my first oil change. I think I am going to wait until then. I hate to leave it at the dealer before that. I also need to get my seat fixed. I have the infamous rocking in the drivers seat. It isn't the end of the world so that can wait. The rattle does bug me though.

- CK

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Element also suffers from the annoying rattle on the driver's side door area. However it's only apparent on extremely rough roads. I'll eventually have the dealer take a look.

:roll: Ed

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to assume that the drivers side door is used a lot more so that is why the problem is occuring. I would guess eventually it could occur on the passenger side.

- CK

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, I just posted almost the same problem under "Exterior". It sounds to me like the doors are going to pop open every time I go over a bump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same Problem here, girlfriends been driving my E lately, but when I was riding with her the other day I noticed the exact same thing. When someone finds the answer I'll fix it, dont' feel like being hte guinea pig at the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem on the passenger side along with the dash rattles on the passenger side. I can't figure out what it is or where it is coming from. Sometimes it stops altogether, sometimes it rattles all the way home....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to look at this as soon as I can.

- CK

From the other Element site.
http://www.hondaelement.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2457

B Pillar Rattle Fix
One rattle is the Seat Belt Height Adjuster. The "carrier" slides in a track and is a bit loose, allowing side-to-side movement. The fix: 1. pry off the height adjuster cover 2. Remove the 13mm seat belt bolt 3. remove the two 10mm adjuster track bolts 4. remove the upper bolt & slide off the carrier (a detent ball will fall out, so grap it) 5. Remove the two thin felt strips that Honda has applied and replace with meduium thickness (about 1/8") sticky back felt. This closes the gap and prevents the carrier from rattling.

The second problem is at the upper B-pillar laych assembly. If you pry off the ceiling cover (above the B pillar), you will find that the door shifts anout 1/8" on hard bumps. Honda has placed some plastic guides and rubber "bump stops" in the latch assembly but excessive movement will strike metal to metal. There is room for a narrow strip of the same 1/8" adhesive felt to cushion the latch movement. It has really quieted the clunking although not completely eliminated on really big bumps? Perhaps a dealer latch adjustment would help but my dealer said the nosie was the seat belt and he was not able to deal with it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't have a rattle but something a little more interesting. I have 18,000 km (about 12000 miles) on my Element and the door gasket on the back door on the drivers side is almost completely worn away. I took it into my dealer when I returned from my trip from Hamilton Ontario to Calgary Alberta (8000 km round trip) and they have ordered a new gasket that is being replaced on Tuesday.

My dealer has advised Honda and the are going to monitoring this on my Element.

Is anyone else having this problem?

By the way, the Element ran great the entire trip. Two weeks and 8000km. Never missed a beat.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've taken my E to the dealer twice now for this noise- still there. I just printed this off and hopefully this will be my last trip back!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Add me to the list - passenger side only. Also, the door-to-door gasket on the rear door (8,000 mi) seems very compressed on both sides.

FYi: Fixed driver-side dash rattle with a piece of rubber wedged between dash panel and windshield. The noise was caused by the dash panel rubbbing the A-pillar cover at the windshield.

-darren

·
Registered
253 Posts
I went to my dealership for the third time for this door noise. This time I printed off the instructions from this site. Voila-no more noise! I let them copy it in case they have E owners come in for the same noise. Now I can turn my radio down! :wink:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts