Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went center to a concrete pillar. my airbag didnt deploy but the passengers side bag did deploy. the steering went to my chest with many bruises and contusions. i checked the SRS fuse and it is fine. i wouldve been fine if my airbag wouldve deployed.

any help is much appreciated

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did you buy this car used or have you had it for the life of the car? Many used cars are outfitted with "dummy" bags.

·
Registered
178 Posts
A dummy bag is a known defective airbag or an airbag which was already deployed and re-stuffed with a number of things (typically cardboard) to give it the appearance of a functional airbag.

When you bought the car did you run a carfax on it? I know carfax is not reliable but it might have insight into when the vehicle was wrecked prior. The dealership you bought the car from will pretty wash their hands of this instance since it was a used car and the previous owner probably committed the safety violation to save a buck. Then again some owners buy airbags off ebay and never know what a dummy bag is until they find themselves in your shoes.

Be glad you're ok ;).

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Did you have your seatbel on? Look to see if the seatbelts were triggered also. They ether will not move in or out or will be tight if they were not being used. Glad to hear you are ok. The hit doesn't look all that bad and wonder what the insurance will do. A little hammer and dolly work and it will look like new..:grin:

·
Banned
51 Posts
My money is on the insurance company totaling it.

It's an old vehicle ('03) so I suspect they will not repair it. I've seen a couple other pictures here on the board that had similar damage and they were 'totaled out'

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ouch!

That's gonna leave a mark. Hope E-veryone's O.K.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Look to see if the seatbelts were triggered also.
Texasboy, Slimerdogs is referring to the seat belt auto tensioner. To quote Honda, "The tensioners are independent of the airbag system, so they can be activated during a collision that might not cause the airbags to deploy." If the tensioner didn't fire in that crash, there might be a problem in the system. Either way, I would very much want to know whether the driver's airbag is good, bad, or bogus.

More info:

"Since both airbags use the same sensors, both airbags normally inflate at the same time. However, it is possible for only one airbag to inflate. This can occur when the severity of a collision is at the margin, or threshold, that determines whether or not the airbags will deploy. In such cases, the seat belt will provide sufficient protection, and the supplemental protection offered by the airbag would be minimal."

"Automatic seat belt tensioners that deployed during a crash must be replaced."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts