Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the basic arm rest on the EX is pretty low? It's not really practical for me in its current position. Has anyone modified this?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Go with the Honda upgrade- it's conveniently adjustable for height, hold lots of stuff, and is even wide enough for the passenger to use.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I test drove 2 Es, one with an armrest that was really low and was immediately noticable, and the other where it seemed fine. When I bought mine, I was pleased to find the armrest was OK. Then I test drove another recently where the armrest was too low!

There are either some differences in armrest height between different cars, or I've been lucky that my seat adjustment has been right.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:784561dfa9="za9ra22"]I test drove 2 Es, one with an armrest that was really low and was immediately noticable, and the other where it seemed fine. When I bought mine, I was pleased to find the armrest was OK. Then I test drove another recently where the armrest was too low!

There are either some differences in armrest height between different cars, or I've been lucky that my seat adjustment has been right.[/quote:784561dfa9]

How odd. I can't imagine why Honda would have various positions for the armrest, during production. Honda is one of the leaders in making production pieces all identical.

·
Registered
155 Posts
[quote:0c8d5f2968="jayharley"]

How odd. I can't imagine why Honda would have various positions for the armrest, during production. Honda is one of the leaders in making production pieces all identical.[/quote:0c8d5f2968]

I'm not saying they do have variations, just that I've found some that seem to be at different heights. It could be that seat adjustments are responsible for this. I had decided to buy the console armrest since it seemed to be at the right height until I drove an E where the stock armrest also seemed much higher. In my own Element, I can drive comfortably with my elbow on the armrest while holding the wheel. I certainly couldn't do that in the dealer model I first drove.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, I'm finally going to get my Element in about a week from now after about a month of searching for the right color and package (Shoreline Mist EX 5spd)... The question I have is about the larger armrest.. It says that it is only for vehicles with automatic transmissions.. Anyone know why this might be? Is it just so large that it interferes with the shifting?? If someone could let me know, it would be much appreciated..

Thanks,
Barry Johnson

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a 5-sp. EX. On HandA it says that the storage armrest is not for use on the 5-speed model. I imagine because it could potentially interfere with shifting. Has anyone with a 5-speed installed the storage armrest and, if so, could you post your comments on this please?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

·
Registered
29 Posts
FWIW, I found that the armrest is too low when the seat is not reclined but seems fine (for me 5'10") when the seat is reclined a little. The point where my elbow reasts seems to be just right.

-d

·
Registered
894 Posts
Jdef:

It does not interfere with shifting. I simply makes it harder to use the hand brake for hill starts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have my seat adjusted so the armrest on the seat and the armrest in the door are about equal. Works fine. I thot about the wider add-on, but wouldn't it be in the way of using the console? I have to have easy access to my morning coffee!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
[quote:6a81f6d4e9="E-Rich"]I have my seat adjusted so the armrest on the seat and the armrest in the door are about equal. Works fine. I thot about the wider add-on, but wouldn't it be in the way of using the console? I have to have easy access to my morning coffee![/quote:6a81f6d4e9]

I love my larger rest, it works great, and really is no problem getting to the center console at all.. the armrest is easy to move if you need to and easy to grab things under it too.. so works great.

theories on the differnet standard rest issue.. this likely is due to seat positioning from vehicle to vehicle you drove, the seat height adjustment, then recline position, and so on.. move things around.. they are placed in the same place in all the vehicles so odds are it is just a matter of the personal tweaking!

the manual and the rest, yeah for most people it might interfere at tad.. it is a personal preference see how you use the stick and see how your arm rests or hangs.. and then make a choice that way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like my seat at the most upright position (good for my back) so this makes the armrest too low. I wonder if there is a sortof "ratchet" mechanism in the way it attaches... I mean, could you loosen the bolt and tilt it up a little bit and then tighten it back up? Does anybody know?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think the chair armrest is too low, too, but ... it lines up with the armrest on the door, so at least my arms are "even". This should get me some points with my chiropractor, anyhow. :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
The standard arm rest simply rotates on a pivot. No opportunity to make it lock into place lower or higher. The optional armrest can be tilted a little bit dowm, but not up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts