Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking about getting the driver's side armrest, but i wanted to get opinions about how convenient it is. the extra storage and the larger room for my arm is a plus, but does it make it harder to reach cups in the cup holder? whenever i'm i need to get my wallet out at a drive-thru, i'm usually pushing my armrest up to make room for my arm to reach. anyone have any good/bad experiences with the larger of the two?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I got the arm rest and I like it! I can reach the front cup holder but it flips out of the way nicely. You can ratchet it down too. So if you recline the seat it has a button in the front that you push and the armrest will drop down to match the seat position. I keep my cards and bluetooth pens paper in it. It as a better position than the stock armrest. The stock one seemed to be angled down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The armrest flips up out of the way if needed so didn't find access to the cup holder to be a problem, even when it's down. The stock armrests are so uncomfortable, the new wider one is adjustable in able and wide enough to really rest your arm on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses! Sounds like I found a way to spend some of my Christmas money... :hol022:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Color Options?

Looking at HandA's site, the 2003-2006 model is gray and the 2007-2009 model is black. Is there any difference in installation/fit? Black would match my interior better, but I have a 2006. The installation instructions looked identical.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Looking at HandA's site, the 2003-2006 model is gray and the 2007-2009 model is black. Is there any difference in installation/fit? Black would match my interior better, but I have a 2006. The installation instructions looked identical.
I have a TRP '08 EX and bought one of the gray armrests off ebay, I think-don't really remember. Anyway, I don't really notice the color-there's enough texture to the finish. Installation was real easy.

I usually keep the passenger armrest up and out of the way, so getting to the cup holder is okay-not the greatest, but it works okay. Overall, I really like the armrest. The glove box and overhead console just aren't big enough. And, it makes getting at small things real easy.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,158 Posts

They are identical. For whatever reason Honda chose to offer the grey for 2003-2006 and black for 2007+.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Just an observation, but something to consider. For years, I read people's opinions on how great the storage armrest was, but never saw the need for one. I intended only to install a passenger side armrest some day since my '03 came without one.

I finally broke down after a few years of ownership and ordered the storage armrest (and had no problems installing it in a matter of minutes), but...I didn't like it! Yeah, it was convenient to have the additional storage, and it meant I didn't have to install a passenger side armrest after all. Still, I couldn't get used to the additional reach-around required to get at a cup, or my installed cigarette lighters flanking the cup holders.

Then, about four months later I discovered how I'd apparently adapted, and didn't want to be without it. Simply pointing out that by nature you get used to the way things are, and a change in the arrangement may put you off initially. I'm old, so change is probably more perturbing to me than it is to some.

Now, the only negative I've retained in my thinking about the storage armrest is that it becomes nearly impossible for an old fart like me to crawl into the back without getting out and using the doors. My work-around is to fully recline the front passenger seat and climb over that. Mind you, I'm admittedly lazy, but apparently not as limber as I used to be, either. :oops:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I love my armrest. I added mine earlier this year and I haven't looked back! It is great for a couple small things you may need on a trip or daily driving. Doesn't fit much, but I still find it worth the comfort. It is very nice on the arm and supports a full range of motion. I adjust the level depending on where my arm likes to be in that moment, so I like to be able to drop it down low and keep it level.
As for durability, I think it holds up well. I put my bike in the back every now and then and sometimes the tires bump up against the armrest. The dirt wipes off and doesn't ever leave a mark or scratch. I feel like the soft-ness of the padding hasn't worn off either. Still as firm as ever.
This is definitely the way to go, hope you enjoy it too!

·
Registered
14 Posts
arm rest mods?

has anyone run wiring and drilled holes into the arm rest so that an outlet and aux plug can be installed? i hate having my cell phone/ipod wires hanging around!

i am thinking of getting the arm rest but want to know if it is modifiable!!

thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts