Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I have been having this problem since winter. My key goes into the drives side door key hole, but will not turn. Key works fine on passenger side and tailgate. If I spend alot of time fiddling with it, I can usually get it to turn and lock or unlock the door. Getting tired of opening the passenger side and using my ice scraper to unlock the driver's side door. Anyone else had this problem? Have hit it with de icer in the winter and some wd 40 to no avail.

Dave

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If you want to fix this yourself, I can help and you will save a ton of money. Click here to see what's involved.

cheers
Pierre

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If you want to fix this yourself, I can help and you will save a ton of money. Click here to see what's involved.

cheers
Pierre

(I repeat myself... I don't know why?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the detailed information. Not sure if I can or should tackle this job? Moderate with tools etc, but I apply the motto of "first do no harm" to any job requiring this level of involvement. My instincts are that I will end up paying a locksmith more money to fix my mistakes than it would have cost to simply let him do it to begin with. Will mull it over and keep you posted.

Thanks again

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to ask this question from my last post. If I wanted to take it to a professional to get the lock fixed, where would I start? Local locksmith?, dealership, local mechanic? How much cash is this gonna set me back?

Thanks again.

Dave

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
That's a darn good question... and I don't really have a perfect answer cause it depends on so many things. To fix it the right way you need to find someone who is capable of maintaining the one key for all setup. That requires having a pinning kit for the Honda 4-track keys. The only reason I bought the pinning kit is because I own an E. From what I have heard, most of the dealers will merely install another lock (already keyed) so you end up with a different key for the door. If you wanted to do a half-ass fix you could have the worn wafer, or wafers, removed and wait for it to happen to the next ones. If you feel up to the challenge and want to try to remove the lock yourself, I don't mind sending you the wafers. The only way that I would know which ones to send is if you had the key code or read the numbers off the existing wafers.

To answer your question... start with locksmiths. Tell them what's wrong and see what they say. You should be able to weed out the ones that don't want to touch it and you might get an idea of who seems to know what you're talking about. The prices you get may help make up your mind if it's worth doing it yourself. It's really not that hard.

·
Registered
244 Posts
yeah that happend to mine the dealership replaced the cylinder tho .. .now i have 2 seperate keys :-x they were too cheap to make it the same key

·
Registered
18 Posts
Key sticks in driver's doorlock

I've been having the same problem and it's no fun at all :mad: DIY is not an option and it's looking like I have to go to Honda or my friendly local mechanic and pay :-(. And I want to avoid having 2 separate keys!

A friend suggested swapping the driver's doorlock with the passenger side's doorlock, which works perfectly. It seems a good option. Can anyone advise on this please? Better still, has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I fixed it myself

I was able to do it myself - it was actually not that hard.

The trick is getting a replacement set of tumblers.

I bought some and fixed it easily. Afterwards I read that it is usually just one of the tumblers that gets stuck and that you can just pull that one out and the problem is solved. As somebody who went through the trouble to find the prts - I agree. If did it again I would just pull out the tumbler.

It is the one closest to the key in the photos at the end of the thread linked to here

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37972

1 - 11 of 11 Posts