Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I purchased an Element sometime in October/November and am really liking it so far. However, I have noticed that my driver's side door rattles or creaks when I go over rougher road (like a highway overpass) or when I turn into driveways that cause the tires to be uneven causing body flex.

The doors latch tight and I cannot reproduce the rattle with my own hands by moving the door. I have seen this quite a few times before online regarding this problem but felt that asking the forum would be more helpful.

The best way I can describe the sound is that it sounds as if the door isn't shut all the way. Like I said before it doesn't sound like this all the time just in the above mentioned instances but it drives me insane. The sound tends to come from the middle of the door, where the actual door latch is so I think that is the culprit.

I should mention that I think the door is replacement of the original. It has orange dots along the bottom of the door spaced about 6 inches apart which makes me think it was a replacement door that was color-coded at the dealership and they forgot to take the dots off.

Any advice or tips? I was considering going to the dealership for this one since my own looking/tinkering hasn't solved the problem. Even just being able to tell the dealership the technical term for what is happening would help.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Check where the rear door latches to the body at the bottom step.

The latch piece on the step portion of the door tends to come loose, at least on mine it did. Just tighten it back up using a philips head screw driver. It may need to be adjusted in or out to the appropriate closed fit of the rear door.

Hope this helps. Good Luck. ;-)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yea I've had that happen also and it was that lach piece on the step. It's done it a couple of times so I just carry a screwdriver around in the back. It's a really simple fix. You might want to go ahead and check the other side also.

·
Registered
446 Posts
+1. Kids slamming doors etc. Easy fix - hopefully that will help you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

I had previously tried this and found that both latches were screwed tightly in place. I took the vehicle after months of this to the Honda dealership today and they spent 3 hours looking at it and driving it and wasn't able to reproduce the noise. Money down the drain.

The frustrating part is that I know on my way home I am going to hear the damned thing and it is going to drive me insane.

Is there a TSB on this issue that I can take to the dealership the next time, if ever, I decide to visit them again? It truly drives me insane because it is just constant enough that I almost forget about it and then it starts up again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATED UPDATE:

I just got back from the dealership where I found out that, luckily, since they weren't able to find the cause of the problem they didn't charge me for their time. That sure was nice of them.

I got home and did another search about this problem and found out that I had only half-fixed the problem by screwing down the bottom door latch. I finally realized that this latch is actually adjustable!

I get down to my E and loosen the latch w/ a philips head screwdriver and the latch only adjusted inward about 1-2/32 of an inch. Surely, I thought, this couldn't solve my problems w/ such a micro adjustment.

Low and behold I test drove it over some spots in town I knew would make the door creak and there was nothing but silence. Only once or twice did I hear anything and it was over bumpy road you wouldn't expect a car body to stay quiet on anyways. Not only am I excited that the problem was fixed but I am excited that if it ever comes back I can fix it myself!

I did notice that the latch was worn quite a bit to the point that the black paint on it was rubbed off and stainless showed underneath it. Would I benefit from installing a new latch?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
UPDATED UPDATE:
I did notice that the latch was worn quite a bit to the point that the black paint on it was rubbed off and stainless showed underneath it. Would I benefit from installing a new latch?
Don't "fix" what ain't broken...! Only if you plan on "showing" your E should you replace it... I'm thinking that your E is now used to the old part and is telling you something...

I listen to mine too and sometimes it screams for a cheeseburger or taquitos... It's those times I ignore it... LMELBO...!!!

Thanks for following up on the solution...!

LBD

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll tell you how to fix the rattle.....

It took awhile but I figured it out (on mine at least) so hopefully this helps.

You need to focus on the upper latch. This would be the latch that is almost directly above your left shoulder if you were sitting in the front seat. Pull the cover off and loosen all three bolts.

I determined the "creaking" to be coming from the latch itself rubbing the frame of the Element; therefore, I put in small pieces of felt so that it would act as a buffer between the flat plate on the latch and the frame.

An easy way to do this would be the get the three bolts started and then slip pre-cut pieces of felt between the latch and frame, then simply tighten all of the bolts.

Problem solved....... no more rattle or creak. Good luck. Let me know if you have any trouble!

·
Registered
72 Posts
P.S. I thought it was the lower latch too. I focused on them for awhile but they were so tight, I was hurting my hands on the screwdriver and the rattle persisted.

Focus on silencing the top one and you will be golden!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have the same problem with my upper latch making the noise. My lower sill latch is tight as ever and has never been loose. The lower latch on the rear access door comes loose at times.

I have to loosen the upper latch and re-adjust it from time to time. In fact it is due for a good adjustment tomorrow.:roll:

I may try the felt trick;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do I go about removing the plastic housing around the upper latch? I can't seem to find a way to do that. If I can get past the plastic, I will be more than willing to try the felt tip!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If I remember right, you need to pull the weather stripping down from the edge and then the plastic cover will be free to pull off.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Just a warning for those that might be adjusting the lower door latch on the door sill. Make Sure You Turn OFF the Car and Disconnect the battery!!!

I had my body shop adjust my passenger door lower striker bar/latch and when they tapped it with a hammer loosen it they set off the air bag. The tech had left the ignition on when doing the work... Turned out to be very expensive on their part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do I go about removing the plastic housing around the upper latch? I can't seem to find a way to do that. If I can get past the plastic, I will be more than willing to try the felt tip!

scorsone said:
If I remember right, you need to pull the weather stripping down from the edge and then the plastic cover will be free to pull off.
Very good advice! This door rattle above my left shoulder has been getting on my nerves for a while, and this took care of it.

Pull the weather stripping off for a half foot or so, then grab the inside of the plastic housing with your finger tips and pry it downward, and it should pop free. Then have at the adjusting - trial and error, I guess, but my first guess made it shut up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's also a good idea to lube your striker plate and related hardware, my 07 did this to ,just about a year after I bought in ( NEW ) and now I lube all my door hardware once a year.
Just my 0.2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts