Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was powering down the window today and heard a "plunk" then a soft grind as the window went all the way down.

Now....it won't roll back up. I can hear the power window motor rolling inside.... but the glass is not moving.

Is it possible for the glass pane to fall off it's tracks?

Any suggestions?

How hard is it to get the door panel off to check out what happened to the glass?

This happened right as I was about to commute home. I had to drive 30 miles in cold weather...with the window down.

I first stopped at the store and bought ear muffs, a fleece baclava and goggles. Brrrrrr!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aha...

I found previous postings which answered my questions. So... no need to reply to this thread.

I don't want to get the whole 'do your research first' thing going again.

I will probably take this to the dealer to get repaired. I don't want to... but I can't do it myself.

Are there any estimates on what this might cost me??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had that happen to mine, on a 105' day, after a photo shoot in a sweltering costume. Wasn't happy... Cost about $250 at the dealer to fix, a couple hours' work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Power window "groundhog day"...

I was powering down the window today and heard a "plunk" then a soft grind as the window went all the way down.

Now....it won't roll back up. I can hear the power window motor rolling inside.... but the glass is not moving.
Guess what? happen to me too! I am handy, but never worked with an animal such as this. Anyone able to help me try and fix this myself? Lookin down into the door jamb, i notice that a wire with a "knotted end" was kinda unattached. Where is that supposed to attach at? It's the wire that comes out of the motor, but i have no idea where it is supposed to be anchored? Can anyone help?

·
Registered
21 Posts
power window problem

i evidently have a common problem with '03 elements in that my driver side window rolled down and won't come back up. I too hear the motor attempt to turn, but stops shortly after starting.

I am handy, but never worked with an animal such as this. Anyone able to help me try and fix this myself? Lookin down into the door jamb, i notice that a wire with a "knotted end" appears unattached. Where is that supposed to attach at? It's the wire that comes out of the motor, but i have no idea where it is supposed to be anchored? Can anyone help? A good diagram to see where that wire end goes would be an awesome help! As i said, this appears to be common, so there HAS to be someone thats done this on thier own...Anyone?

Oh! And how do i get my window up manually in the interim?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The track that drives the window up has broke and you will have to buy a replacement one. You can remove the door panel and push up the window and prop it up for now. There are some threads on window regulator replacement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would think that your regulator is on the fritz. The regulator is the other thing besides your motor that makes the window go up and down. Sorry to be so technical:lol:- I had CONSTANT problems with these things on my last vehicle, but I've never tried to fix them myself. You can get a new regulator on eBay for about $60.00 I believe. Whether new or used make sure it's guaranteed. It'd be a good thing to be able to do yourself.....it's not easy to find people that want to work on power windows(and do it well), at least around here. From what I gather it's not that big a deal- just have to be careful adjusting things so the window runs up and down smoothly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pinched in the door jam

I had a problem with my drivers side window working and not working. After spending $80 replacing the switch, which didn't fix it. I took off the panel traced the wire and found it pinched in the door jam area, quick fix. Use something as a heavier sheild.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would think that your regulator is on the fritz. The regulator is the other thing besides your motor that makes the window go up and down. Sorry to be so technical:lol:- I had CONSTANT problems with these things on my last vehicle, but I've never tried to fix them myself. You can get a new regulator on eBay for about $60.00 I believe. Whether new or used make sure it's guaranteed. It'd be a good thing to be able to do yourself.....it's not easy to find people that want to work on power windows(and do it well), at least around here. From what I gather it's not that big a deal- just have to be careful adjusting things so the window runs up and down smoothly.
I've had two (driver then passenger) window regulators fail within a 6-month period. My 2006 has fewer than 50000 miles so I am outraged. The first cost me $446 at the dealer to repair. Will attempt to fix second at home today with $110 replacement part.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's pretty crappy! Have you checked to see if this is a known issue with that model? Might be something in particular making the regulators go bad....I dunno. I DO know that you can get really taken advantage of if you have the wrong person or shop do the repair. With the vehicle I mentioned previously which had CONSTANT problems with window motors and regulators, I got hosed a couple of times before it occurred to me to buy the part myself, take it somewhere reputable and have them install it. The labor shouldn't even be that bad on an Element's windows- they're certainly not hard to get to.....well, good luck. Hopefully the next repair you do will be the last one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have replaced my 2009 Element passenger side regulator whole unit thingie already and now I will replace my driver's side unit. I would like to try to fix it but I don't see any instructions on that. Replacing it is not a huge deal, if you know how to follow technical instructions. It is not intuitive how to get the door outer layer off. It would be nice to hear any special tips or techniques for this. I ended up with a 6" tear of sorts on mine. Looks kinda junkie. Can the plastic be heated/melted back together?

thanks for any information or techniques yall have to offer up,
Wendy F.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element EX AWD
619 Posts
Have had to replace both door regulators, I went with OEM instead of something I could by at NAPA or O'Reilly's. Even the OEM is got the crappy plastic piece that fails over time and causes the cable to not wind correctly. I replaced them both myself to save the labor cost. There is a sticky in the future all should check out if one would like to save the cost to DIY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts