Honda Element Owners Club banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Registered
3,123 Posts
Probably a stupid question RE: Battery

My wife's E was having trouble starting, so I took it to Batteries Plus earlier this week and bought a new battery after testing the old one and finding out it was dead. I replaced the battery yesterday and then just pulled the car in the garage (after making sure it started). Now my wife said that the windows won't work and the radio does not work. I understand the radio not working, because it is an EX and I need to put the radio code in, however I don't understand the window issue. Is that normal?

· Registered
780 Posts
There is a reset procedure for the auto up and down on the drivers window. You have to do it if you disconnect the battery cables. I dont have the info here, though I am sure if you search here you will find it.

John

· Premium Member
15,320 Posts
2005 owner's manual, page 81:

If your vehicle's battery is disconnected or goes dead, or the driver's window fuse is removed, AUTO function will be disabled. The power window system needs to be reset after reconnec0ting the battery or installing the fuse.

1. Start the engine. Push down and hold the driver's window switch until the window is fully open.

2. Pull and hold the driver’s window switch to close the window completely, then hold the switch for a second or two more.

If the power windows do not operate properly after resetting, have your vehicle checked by your dealer.

· Registered
101 Posts
Auto drivers window now not auto!!

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, please move if needed...
My '03 Ex AWD has the auto down drivers window. I notied it does not auto down now, after I had the neg battery cable off while installing lights.
Any ideas??

· Registered
68 Posts
Power Window Control Unit Reset

Resetting the power window control unit is required after performing the following procedures:

Loss of battery power
Loss of power from the No. 23 (20A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box
Open circuit caused by disconnecting the 14P connector from the power window master switch.
Make sure the driver's window does not work in AUTO with the ignition switch ON (II).
Start the engine.
Lower the driver's window all the way down by pushing the driver's power window switch to the second detent (AUTO DOWN); when the window reaches the bottom, hold the switch in the AUTO DOWN position for 2 seconds.
Raise the driver's window all the way up without stopping by pulling the driver's power window switch to the UP position; when the window reaches the top, hold the switch in the UP position 2 seconds.
If the window does not work in AUTO, repeat Step 2 through 5.

· Registered
29 Posts
Window Auto Up/Down - not working

Any reason why the Auto up/down might not be working?

They were working the other day. Then I just had daytime running lights installed and the auto up/down isn't working. I also had my battery die on me the other day. My Element has 6000 miles on it.

· Registered
14 Posts
driver's side window switch

I ran my battery down the other day listening to the radio while I was working. Today the auto-up/down function on the driver's side window wasn't working. I was searching for a cheap switch and directions for replacement when I came across this post. You saved me $80, a half-day install, and likely an outcome that still wouldn't have resolved the issue. I love this forum! Thanks so much for the posting.

· Registered
20 Posts
One-touch drivers window problem

Last week the element had the drivers window smashed out and luckily nothing was taken. Had the window replaced but now the one-touch up and down feature is not working. Before i take it back to the place, has anyone else had this happen?

edit: Nevermind, finally found the answer. Had to dig real deep in the forum.

· Registered
9,644 Posts
Just need to reactivate it. Instructions should be in the manual, but I believe all you need to do is with either the E running or with the key in the on position so the radio would work. Hold the window button down for 2-3 seconds then hold it up for 2-3 seconds. Then it should work.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hold the window button down for 2-3 seconds then hold it up for 2-3 seconds. Then it should work.
This happened to me twice (Not the broken window part) when my battery died or was close to dead (Manual indicates the same). The instruction from the manual state the following. Start the car >>> Bring the window down completely >>> put one hand on your head >>> bring the window up completely and hold for an extra 2 seconds.

OK, I made up the "Put one head on your head" part.

TY all for the posting.

· Premium Member
957 Posts
automatic window rolldown stopped working...WTF

could this be a blown fuse or do I need to reprogram. I recently disconnected the battery and that is when this problem occurred. how do I reprogram the element so my DS window automatically rolls down. thanks in advance

· Registered
145 Posts
from the 2009 manual...

If your vehicle's battery is disconnected
or goes dead, or the driver's window
fuse is removed, the AUTO function
may be disabled. If this happens, the
power window system will need to be
reset after reconnecting the battery or
installing the fuse.
1. Start the engine. Push down and
hold the driver's window switch until
the window is fully open.
2. Pull and hold the driver's window
switch to close the window
completely, then hold the switch for
about 2 seconds.
If the power windows do not operate
properly after resetting, have your
vehicle checked by your dealer.

· Registered
103 Posts
Great info from the Club

Just had to share my happiness. For quite some time, my power window has been acting crazy. Pull up the auto switch.....the window would go up about 8 inches....then go back down all the way....then come up about 3 inches and stop. If it would just pull to the first click and hold it, the window would go up fine. Freaked me out.....stressed me out. I thought my Element had a problem........and I've put off going to the dealership. I figured as long as I could still close the window, I'd get by.

After reading this information from the EOC........I went out this morning and reset the power window feature. VIOLA! Works perfect! I'm happy! I replaced my battery a while back, and it just never occurred to me.............

I have read my owners manual......I always do.........but, somehow I missed that part. It's going to be a GREAT DAY! HAPPY.....HAPPY.....HAPPY!

· Registered
2 Posts
Power Window problem.......relay??

My '03 Element has a problem with the drivers-side power window. The "Auto" up/down function has stopped working. It still works fine but doesn't do the full travel up or down with the extra click on the button. I'm wondering if there is a relay somewhere that has died. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

· Registered
14 Posts
Driver's window auto function.

Hello all.

I have a driver's side window auto function that no longer works. The window still rolls down when I press the switch down. It has done this once before and began working on it own.

Any thoughts on a fix?

BTW its a 08 LX, 4wd with 75K that I bought certified pre owned 1.5 years ago.

Regards,

Embfixer

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.